Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Album Artist while browsing
27-01-2014, 23:08
RE: Album Artist while browsing
Simon - Further developments. The Bubblesoft UPnP author does not want to display the Album Artist tag for generic folders, because some servers may fill it with "Unknown Artist" or other junk.

He suggests this possibility, and I wonder if you would be amenable to it?

>> I'm willing to promote an "object.container" folder to "object.container.album.musicAlbum", if the album artist is addionnally sent by minimserver as <upnp:artist role="AlbumArtist">some artist</upnp:artist>. <<

Are you willing to do that, as (I hope) a relatively benign way of providing the information to the user?

Thanks!
Mike

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-01-2014, 08:48
(27-01-2014 23:08)Mike48 Wrote:  Simon - Further developments. The Bubblesoft UPnP author does not want to display the Album Artist tag for generic folders, because some servers may fill it with "Unknown Artist" or other junk.

He suggests this possibility, and I wonder if you would be amenable to it?

>> I'm willing to promote an "object.container" folder to "object.container.album.musicAlbum", if the album artist is addionnally sent by minimserver as <upnp:artist role="AlbumArtist">some artist</upnp:artist>. <<

Are you willing to do that, as (I hope) a relatively benign way of providing the information to the user?

Thanks!
Mike

This would mean that albums tagged with Artist don't show artist information for partial contents, but albums tagged with AlbumArtist do show artist information for partial contents. This would effectively make Artist tagging "second class" (in this context) compared with AlbumArtist tagging, and I wouldn't be happy about this.

It would be possible to solve this by adding a new option to allow an Artist tag value to be sent using an <upnp:artist role="AlbumArtist"> tag. This raises the question of to whether this option should apply in all places where an Artist value is sent, and what side-effects this might have with various control points. I suspect there would be some problems, so it would probably be necessary to provide further control over where <upnp:artist role="AlbumArtist"> would be sent and where it wouldn't be sent.

I will need to think carefully about the best way to handle all this.
03-02-2014, 20:05 (This post was last modified: 03-02-2014 20:06 by simoncn.)
(28-01-2014 08:48)simoncn Wrote:  This would mean that albums tagged with Artist don't show artist information for partial contents, but albums tagged with AlbumArtist do show artist information for partial contents. This would effectively make Artist tagging "second class" (in this context) compared with AlbumArtist tagging, and I wouldn't be happy about this.

It would be possible to solve this by adding a new option to allow an Artist tag value to be sent using an <upnp:artist role="AlbumArtist"> tag. This raises the question of to whether this option should apply in all places where an Artist value is sent, and what side-effects this might have with various control points. I suspect there would be some problems, so it would probably be necessary to provide further control over where <upnp:artist role="AlbumArtist"> would be sent and where it wouldn't be sent.

I will need to think carefully about the best way to handle all this.

I've thought about this and I think the best approach is to keep things simple. The next update will have a new setting (enabled by default) that sends the <upnp:artist role="AlbumArtist"> XML tag to the control point if the album has an AlbumArtist metadata tag.
03-02-2014, 21:19
(03-02-2014 20:05)simoncn Wrote:  ...The next update will have a new setting (enabled by default) that sends the <upnp:artist role="AlbumArtist"> XML tag to the control point if the album has an AlbumArtist metadata tag.

THANK YOU!

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA