Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
special characters in file/directorynames
18-12-2013, 08:52
RE: special characters in file/directorynames
(18-12-2013 05:57)angelus1969 Wrote:  I did as you asked, but when I start the script from the ~/minimserver/bin directory it still states the same error. But that is to be expected, because the new script is in ~/minimserver/minimserver-0.8.1/bin directory....... Why are there 2 bin directories? I first thought one was links to the other, but that is not the case!

In the .tar.gz archive, minimserver/bin is a symbolic link to the minimserver/minimserver-0.8.1/bin directory. When I unpack the archve on my Linux system, this linkage is preserved correctly and I get the following:

Code:
nash@debian:/sd1/minimtest4$ ls -l minimserver
total 16
lrwxrwxrwx 1 nash nash   21 Dec 15 21:18 bin -> minimserver-0.8.1/bin
drwxr-xr-x 2 nash nash 4096 Dec 15 21:18 data
lrwxrwxrwx 1 nash nash   23 Dec 15 21:18 icons -> minimserver-0.8.1/icons
lrwxrwxrwx 1 nash nash   21 Dec 15 21:18 lib -> minimserver-0.8.1/lib
drwxr-xr-x 2 nash nash 4096 Dec 15 21:18 libext
drwxr-xr-x 2 nash nash 4096 Dec 15 21:18 libsys
drwxr-xr-x 5 nash nash 4096 Dec 15 21:18 minimserver-0.8.1

What output do you get from 'ls -l minimserver'? Can you think of any reason why the symbolic links would not be preserved correctly when you unpack the archive on VZ?

Quote:EDIT: I have a second VZ where I also installed the new version, so I could test a little more without breaking my main VZ. I executed the new setup from the ~/minimserver/minimserver-0.8.1/bin directory and this script works. It creates an executable script inside /etc/init.d and creates the runlevel info. After a restart however, minimserver is not started. When I try to start the server by hand with root@mminim:/etc# init.d/minimserver start
it states: /root/minimserver/minimserver-0.8.1/bin/startd: 4: cd: can't cd to /root/minimserver/minimserver-0.8.1/bin/../data
EDIT #2: found it, by running the setup script from ~/minimserver/minimserver-0.8.1/bin causes the init.d script to read: su "root" -c "/root/minimserver/minimserver-0.8.1/bin/startd" while it should be su "root" -c "/root/minimserver/bin/startd"

It is important to run the minimserver/bin/setup script from this location (as stated in the instructions) and not run it from the minimserver/minimserver-0.8.1/bin/setup location. Unfortunately, the setup script doesn't currently check for this. I will add this check in the next release.

The symbolic links are needed so that the level of MinimServer can be updated from 0.8.1 to 0.8.2 (etc.) without changing any external references such as the runlevel startup configuration. All that is needed is to replace the minimserver-0.8.1 directory with a minimserver-0.8.2 directory and update the symbolic links. However, this design doesn't work if there are some Linux systems that don't preserve symbolic links when unpacking an archive.

Quote:EDIT #3: And alas, it doesn't help with the original problem. Minimserver now starts okay after a reboot, but the locale is still US_ASCII when starting it this way...... Sad What I understand after some web-searching, is that this is a known problem and the script should explicit state the locale itself.... Not sure how (yet).....

EDIT#4: running the command update-locale LANG=<desired locale> creates a necessary file in /etc/default After a reboot minimserver starts with the correct locale.....

Thanks for this information. I will add this to the MinimServer Linux installation instructions.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2013, 14:37
(18-12-2013 08:52)simoncn Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 05:57)angelus1969 Wrote:  I did as you asked, but when I start the script from the ~/minimserver/bin directory it still states the same error. But that is to be expected, because the new script is in ~/minimserver/minimserver-0.8.1/bin directory....... Why are there 2 bin directories? I first thought one was links to the other, but that is not the case!

In the .tar.gz archive, minimserver/bin is a symbolic link to the minimserver/minimserver-0.8.1/bin directory. When I unpack the archve on my Linux system, this linkage is preserved correctly and I get the following:

Code:
nash@debian:/sd1/minimtest4$ ls -l minimserver
total 16
lrwxrwxrwx 1 nash nash   21 Dec 15 21:18 bin -> minimserver-0.8.1/bin
drwxr-xr-x 2 nash nash 4096 Dec 15 21:18 data
lrwxrwxrwx 1 nash nash   23 Dec 15 21:18 icons -> minimserver-0.8.1/icons
lrwxrwxrwx 1 nash nash   21 Dec 15 21:18 lib -> minimserver-0.8.1/lib
drwxr-xr-x 2 nash nash 4096 Dec 15 21:18 libext
drwxr-xr-x 2 nash nash 4096 Dec 15 21:18 libsys
drwxr-xr-x 5 nash nash 4096 Dec 15 21:18 minimserver-0.8.1

What output do you get from 'ls -l minimserver'? Can you think of any reason why the symbolic links would not be preserved correctly when you unpack the archive on VZ?

As a VZ is pretty bare, I download the file on my laptop and usually I do the unpacking and so forth on that machine as well, to avoid having to install several tools on all the machines. I then transfer the stuff to the VZ with SCP and I think there things went wrong with the links.

---
Regards, Angelo
22-12-2013, 15:30
(22-12-2013 14:37)angelus1969 Wrote:  As a VZ is pretty bare, I download the file on my laptop and usually I do the unpacking and so forth on that machine as well, to avoid having to install several tools on all the machines. I then transfer the stuff to the VZ with SCP and I think there things went wrong with the links.

Thanks for letting me know. This explains why MinimServer 0.8.1 wasn't working for you. Unpacking the archive on Windows destroys the links. Doesn't VX contain tar? If not, you will need to install it to be able to use MinimServer on VZ.
22-12-2013, 21:25
(22-12-2013 15:30)simoncn Wrote:  
(22-12-2013 14:37)angelus1969 Wrote:  As a VZ is pretty bare, I download the file on my laptop and usually I do the unpacking and so forth on that machine as well, to avoid having to install several tools on all the machines. I then transfer the stuff to the VZ with SCP and I think there things went wrong with the links.

Thanks for letting me know. This explains why MinimServer 0.8.1 wasn't working for you. Unpacking the archive on Windows destroys the links. Doesn't VX contain tar? If not, you will need to install it to be able to use MinimServer on VZ.

Hello,

Some misunderstanding here. My laptop doesn't run Windows (God forbid Wink ) but Linux and the trouble with the missing link apparently comes from copying it from one box to another with scp. Somehow this version (either server or client side, not sure yet) automatically 'follows symbolic links' so it copies the directory the link is referring too.

This VZ does have tar, but not gunzip as standard. So either pack it with just tar or use the zip function inside tar, so making it a tgz file. Or of course I can install gunzip within the VZ container.. Smile

---
Regards, Angelo
22-12-2013, 23:52 (This post was last modified: 22-12-2013 23:53 by simoncn.)
(22-12-2013 21:25)angelus1969 Wrote:  Some misunderstanding here. My laptop doesn't run Windows (God forbid Wink ) but Linux and the trouble with the missing link apparently comes from copying it from one box to another with scp. Somehow this version (either server or client side, not sure yet) automatically 'follows symbolic links' so it copies the directory the link is referring too.

Thanks for explaining this.

Quote:This VZ does have tar, but not gunzip as standard. So either pack it with just tar or use the zip function inside tar, so making it a tgz file. Or of course I can install gunzip within the VZ container.. Smile

The MinimServer download archive is packed with tar zcf. It can be unpacked with tar xf, as stated in the installation instructions.