Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Funding MinimServer development
25-07-2012, 21:49 (This post was last modified: 25-07-2012 21:51 by guussie.)
RE: Funding MinimServer development
(24-07-2012 16:20)simoncn Wrote:  I started developing MinimServer because I wasn't happy with other music servers and I wanted a better music server too use myself. When I'd got it working, I thought it might be useful to a few other people as well. As they say, the rest is history! Smile

I haven't charged for MinimServer, and I don't want to start doing that. I'm enjoying working on MinimServer, and I'm happy to donate my time. However, I do have some out-of-pocket costs for equipment that I've needed to buy for MinimServer development. The most expensive purchase has been my Mac. I'm very pleased to have this, but it's only used for developing and testing MinimServer. I've also bought an upgraded iPod, which I only use for control point testing.

If MinimServer is going to continue to be successful, I'll need to continue spending money on equipment. For example, I've had requests for add-on packages for various NAS platforms, which would require me to buy some NAS devices for development, testing and support. I wouldn't use them myself because I'm happy with my current NAS arrangements, and this makes me very reluctant to spend money out of my own pocket.

There's been a recent discussion on the Linn forum about a funding model where people who would like a MinimServer package for a specific NAS platform could make contributions towards the purchase of a suitable device. In this case, there would be a very direct relationship between what people give and the benefit they get back. For contributions to a general MinimServer equipment fund, there wouldn't be the same immediate direct benefit to the contributor. These contributions would benefit the whole MinimServer community by helping keep MinimServer moving forward and still freely available.

I'm thinking about providing the opportunity for people to either make a general contribution to the MinimServer equipment fund or make a direct contribution to the costs of a specific project such as making MinimServer available on a particular NAS platform. The latter would require some organizing, as I wouldn't want to accept money for a specific project until enough people had signed up to make that project viable.

I'd be very interested to hear what MinimServer users think about this.

Simon

Simon,

I'd be happy to contribute! There seems to be a clear need for what you are doing.

I think you have the following options:

- You could start with a poll on either this or the Linn Forum, just to gauge real interest
- add a Donate button to your web site, using PayPall or credit card
- add MinimServer to the Mac AppStore (will only apply to MinimServer for Mac, probably only when you are out of Beta)
- start a Kickstarter project

It seems people trust you to apply the proceeds to where you seem it fits best.

Kickstarter may be too general. Your target user group are the Linn/MinimServer forum members.

I also had a look at the Linn thread about Sooloos. This seems to be the ultimate target, but not sure whether that can be archieved with a uPnP server.

I think you'd surprised about the support you would get!

The poll could help you gauge the right price-point.

Guus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-07-2012, 09:45
(24-07-2012 19:03)Dieter Stockert Wrote:  I think you should make it as simple as possible. So why make contributions to a general MinimServer equipment fund? Just give me the possibility to pay you some money and I do not care if it's for equipment or for your time. I think you earn it. (But in the same sentence I have to say that installation of Minim Server is not easy enough - I have done it once, but I did not try to update because it costs me too much thinking and reading, I want a one click solution and I'm sure I'm not the only one here.)

I've started a new thread to discuss problems with MinimServer installation. If you could post a bit more detail to this thread, that would be very helpful. Thanks!
26-07-2012, 10:15
(25-07-2012 06:53)rik Wrote:  I guess what's needed is a Kickstarter for small software projects. I know Kickstarter can (sort of) do that sort of thing but you would probably want a 30:30:40 split (30% on project start, 30% on beta ship, 40% on acceptance) off taken from a PayPal / Amazon account.

That sounds like quite a complex process for a small project, and it wouldn't work for the NAS ports because 100% of the cost to me is incurred before the project starts.

I've had a quick look at the process for setting up a preapproved future payment from Paypal. It seems to require using Paypal's integration API and doing quite a bit of work on my wesbite to support this. Perhaps someone's built this already and I could use it as a service. I'll continue to investigate.

Quote:Why on make you PayPal account details widely know - you may be surprised. [& change your signature back on the Linn forum something like donations @ some . email . address . com].

I've used some websites with a "Donate" button on every page, and I don't really like that. Putting this in my signature would take it a step further, and I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that. I think I'll just create a new page on the MinimServer website with a "Donate" link.
27-07-2012, 09:14
As mentioned before I'd be happy to contribute. I don't use a NAS myself, but two friends of mine use QNAP 119s. One is running MinimServer, and he loves it. The other is going to be MinimServerized as well sometime in the near future Big Grin

I agree with several other posters in that I don't care what my contribution is spent on. For me it's simple: you've provided me with a lot of "value" by producing MinimServer. I wouldn't mind contributing towards the time/effort/cost you're investing to do that.

So, +1 for providing your PayPal details, and putting a "Donate" button on the MinimServer website.

JW
01-08-2012, 13:49 (This post was last modified: 01-08-2012 13:51 by simoncn.)
Thanks to everyone for your comments and support.

As a first step, I'm asking for general donations to MinimServer development. Depending on how much people donate for that, I'll see whether I need to do something else about specific funding for the NAS ports.

I've added a Donate page with a Paypal button to the minimserver.com website, with a link at the bottom of the left sidebar and a link from the Downloads page. Here's a direct link to the Donate page.

I haven't recommended a specific amount for donations. I thought about doing that, but I decided I'd rather leave it to each MinimServer user to donate what they think MinimServer is worth to them. Smile
02-08-2012, 08:48
Check is in the mail Wink - literally speaking of course....
04-08-2012, 15:14 (This post was last modified: 04-08-2012 15:15 by Briain.)
Ditto! Smile
04-08-2012, 15:32
Same here Smile
06-08-2012, 08:39
I have just started testing MinimServer on my Qnap but so far it seems way better than Twonky. Small donation sent.
05-12-2014, 06:40
(01-08-2012 13:49)simoncn Wrote:  I've added a Donate page with a Paypal button to the minimserver.com website, with a link at the bottom of the left sidebar and a link from the Downloads page. Here's a direct link to the Donate page.

I haven't recommended a specific amount for donations. I thought about doing that, but I decided I'd rather leave it to each MinimServer user to donate what they think MinimServer is worth to them. Smile

Donation made...and a bump to the top for new users to consider, as well.

John