MinimServer Forum
Feature Request - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Feature Request (/showthread.php?tid=6714)

Pages: 1 2

Feature Request - Roendi - 04-11-2022 12:20

There is the function to create a playlist with 100 or more random music tracks. I need this unfortunately much too little because I cannot narrow it down. It would be cool if you could give us the option least 1 or 2 genre to add. So, the function would make even more sense.

PS: I also have about 100 Christmas CD in my collection. I would not like to hear this under the year.

RE: Feature Request - simoncn - 04-11-2022 16:47

MinimServer does not create playlists or support random play. I think this must be something that your control point is doing. You will need to raise this with the developers of your control point.

RE: Feature Request - wappinghigh - 07-11-2022 10:07

I would lover Minimserver to either create a playlist, support random play or even queue the next track of an album (being played via DLNA) so that we don't have to rely on control points.

This would be MASSIVE at my place as I have several different manufacturers DLNA renderers now "available" to play tracks from Minimserver but I have to keep toggling between various control points, apps etc etc.. to simply "play" an album

And now I am running Home assistant as well sure would be cool to just find the Album served up by Minimserver, select the DLNA renderer I want to stream it to, hit play... and the music tracks cycle thru the whole album

Instead of fumbling around for yet another control point..

I know I know Minimserver is a pure server.. it get it.. it's just... "to pull it all together"..... imagine if (even a rudimentary control point) was built in!!!

I'd actually PAY for this functionality within Minimserver..

Oh well..

One can only ask Smile

RE: Feature Request - simbun - 07-11-2022 10:44

BubbleUPnP server can proxy DLNA renderers so the queue is held (and advanced) on the server instead of the control point.

This obviously doesn't help with playlist generation, but that's the job of a control point.

RE: Feature Request - wappinghigh - 07-11-2022 11:13

(07-11-2022 10:44)simbun Wrote:  BubbleUPnP server can proxy DLNA renderers so the queue is held (and advanced) on the server instead of the control point.

This obviously doesn't help with playlist generation, but that's the job of a control point.

Sure I know - I know - I get it !... (running multiple entities just to stream, can all get pretty complicated real quick but)
still doesn't mean simple queue holding and advancement built in to Minimserver wouldn't be a massive uplift..
Like I said..
I would pay for this feature Smile

RE: Feature Request - wappinghigh - 08-11-2022 13:19

I've spent hours trying to get this to work
I could have been listening to beautiful music via albums (with tracks just skipping onto the next song seamlessly)
Instead I've sat on my network, reconfiguring servers adding bubble, moved Minimserver and bubble onto a faster NAS etc etc
I don't know what I am doing wrong, but it's just not worth it
I need to get (an non spectrum disorder, aka sitting on a computer all day) life...
Like I said.
I'd pay for it (if it was a feature)
Smile

RE: Feature Request - simbun - 08-11-2022 15:33

I've had it installed for ages without any trouble whatsoever, even proxying speakers from different vlans.
I installed it for my dad on a Pi alongside MinimServer, proxied some Sonos speakers and he's been using it for a couple of years now without any issues either. It literally just works.

It doesn't need to reside on a powerful machine, or be on the same server as MinimServer.
You just need to proxy your renderer ('Create an OpenHome renderer') and then play to that from your control point. What problems are you having?

RE: Feature Request - wappinghigh - 08-11-2022 22:41

(08-11-2022 15:33)simbun Wrote:  I've had it installed for ages without any trouble whatsoever, even proxying speakers from different vlans.
I installed it for my dad on a Pi alongside MinimServer, proxied some Sonos speakers and he's been using it for a couple of years now without any issues either. It literally just works.

It doesn't need to reside on a powerful machine, or be on the same server as MinimServer.
You just need to proxy your renderer ('Create an OpenHome renderer') and then play to that from your control point. What problems are you having?

Thanks for the help.
Been there done that (as well)
"just works" huh.. yeh sure.. I'm sure it "just works" - well that's great..
If you look at the date I joined - yes it's been a decade as well
Meanwhile the world has moved on to the likes of players and streamers (both purchased and on a subscription basis) that have this capability "built in"
Like I said.
I would also pay Minimserver for this function
I've wasted way too much of my time already trying to get it to work
Cheers Smile

RE: Feature Request - simbun - 09-11-2022 10:22

Sorry to hear that you appear to have experienced problems with the installation. If you ever did decide to try it again and you do experience similar issues, just contact the author as he's very responsive and should be able to clear it up in no time as it's just a Java app with minimal dependencies (if you have MinimServer installed on the same server then they're probably already met - excluding docker installs e.t.c.).

(08-11-2022 22:41)wappinghigh Wrote:  Meanwhile the world has moved on to the likes of players and streamers (both purchased and on a subscription basis) that have this capability "built in"
As you point out, this is really a renderer feature so doesn't fit nicely into MinimServer, that's not to say it can't be done, but given there's a free alternative it's unlikely to be a rewarding effort (from a financial point of view).

I do hear you though as UPnP wasn't really a viable option for me until I discovered BubbleUPnP server; having my phone orchestrate the ongoing communication between server and renderer wasn't really a viable option, and that's ignoring all the other features!

RE: Feature Request - simoncn - 09-11-2022 12:05

(09-11-2022 10:22)simbun Wrote:  I do hear you though as UPnP wasn't really a viable option for me until I discovered BubbleUPnP server; having my phone orchestrate the ongoing communication between server and renderer wasn't really a viable option, and that's ignoring all the other features!

I agree completely. My solution for this has been to use renderers that support the OpenHome protocol.