MinimServer Forum
Displaying Albums where Artist is AlbumArtist and also Trackartist - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Music Tagging (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Displaying Albums where Artist is AlbumArtist and also Trackartist (/showthread.php?tid=6681)

Pages: 1 2

Displaying Albums where Artist is AlbumArtist and also Trackartist - pask - 15-09-2022 17:00

Hi there !
just updated to minimserver2, love covers features Smile

I'm generally browsing music by genre>artist or composer>artist, depending on the music I'm listening; genre for Jazz, composer for Classical, so I get them separated.
How do I get to see, when having an artist album list, albums where he is also playing as a TrackArtist ?

Exemple Miles & Coltrane - The complete Colombia
Miles Davis is the AlbumArtist (the leader), and Coltrane is a TrackArtist.
When I browse Artist>Coltrane The mentioned album is not showing.

the solution of having them both tagged in TrackArtist would work but it's not the method I want to use.

Thanks Heart

RE: Displaying TrackArtist for an AlbumArtist - stefano_mbp - 15-09-2022 17:12

I had the same “issue” and I solved it using Artist.merge in tagValue property.
In this way you don’t need to update the content of you tags but you can search the name in the merged tags.
This is how I configured tagValue: Artist.merge={AlbumArtist, ARTISTS, Soloists, Conductor, Orchestra, Grouping}
And using Lumïn app you can find easily what you are looking for …

RE: Displaying TrackArtist for an AlbumArtist - stefano_mbp - 15-09-2022 17:35

… tag name is Artist …. that is used as Artist.merge.
The instruction Artist.merge is to say:
merge with Artist tag all other tags listed in parentheses.
In my files there is ARTISTS tag, easily it doesn’t exist in your files
Try this:
Artist.merge={AlbumArtist}

RE: Displaying TrackArtist for an AlbumArtist - pask - 15-09-2022 18:12

(15-09-2022 17:35)stefano_mbp Wrote:  … tag name is Artist …. that is used as Artist.merge.
The instruction Artist.merge is to say:
merge with Artist tag all other tags listed in parentheses.
In my files there is ARTISTS tag, easily it doesn’t exist in your files
Try this:
Artist.merge={AlbumArtist}

thanks for your help (sorry I deleted the previous msg)
my IndexTags use Artist, All Artists.
Artist stand for AlbumArtist & All Artists stand for TrackArtist

If I use Artists in IndexTags, the server is sending me a small weird artist list that make nos sense Huh the documentation is not mentioning Artists ( https://minimserver.com/ug-library.html )

My wish was to browse Artist (Albumartist), but once into an artist, be able to see albums where the Artist is playing as Albumartist & TrackArtist at same time.

attached is my config

RE: Displaying TrackArtist for an AlbumArtist - stefano_mbp - 15-09-2022 18:36

You can try in this way
All Artists.merge={Artist}

RE: Displaying TrackArtist for an AlbumArtist - pask - 15-09-2022 18:56

(15-09-2022 18:36)stefano_mbp Wrote:  You can try in this way
All Artists.merge={Artist}

you mean Albumartist.merge={Artist}

this is not what I'd like to do.

My wish was to browse Artist (Albumartist), but once into one artist, be able to see albums where the Artist is playing as Albumartist & TrackArtist at same time (Artist & All Artists)

Grazie Stefano

RE: Displaying Albums where Artist is AlbumArtist and also Trackartist - stefano_mbp - 15-09-2022 20:17

This is because when you retrieve John Coltrane (for example) as Artist (album artist) you’re filtering all albums where John Coltrane is Artist, then albums where Coltrane is only a track artist (and not the album artist) will be excluded.
Then this should work: Artist.merge={All Artists}
Of course this is a compromise as you’ll find under Artist (album artists) all track artists too.
Using your first post example you’ll be able to browse to Miles Davies as Artist (album artist) and you’ll be able to find under Artist all albums where Coltrane is album artist and track artist too (Miles Davies/John Coltrane albums included)

RE: Displaying Albums where Artist is AlbumArtist and also Trackartist - simbun - 15-09-2022 20:23

(15-09-2022 18:56)pask Wrote:  My wish was to browse Artist (Albumartist), but once into one artist, be able to see albums where the Artist is playing as Albumartist & TrackArtist at same time (Artist & All Artists)
Does filtering first by Artist and then by All Artists not deliver what you want?
If it does, you can force MinimSever to - nearly - always show subsequent index tag choices by setting listViewAlbums to 1.

It will affect all your browsing though, and if you have an AlbumArtist with only 1 album it won't show the index tags at that point.

Having said that I've just mocked some data up and I'm getting unexpected results!

RE: Displaying Albums where Artist is AlbumArtist and also Trackartist - simoncn - 15-09-2022 20:50

To do what you want, you should remove Artist from indexTags and add AlbumArtist instead. You can then browse by AlbumArtist (Miles Davis) followed by All Artists (Miles Davis). You should not need to use the merge option.

RE: Displaying Albums where Artist is AlbumArtist and also Trackartist - pask - 15-09-2022 21:05

(15-09-2022 20:17)stefano_mbp Wrote:  This is because when you retrieve John Coltrane (for example) as Artist (album artist) you’re filtering all albums where John Coltrane is Artist, then albums where Coltrane is only a track artist (and not the album artist) will be excluded.

exactly, I was wondering if somehow, all excluded track artist could show up again once we actually are into one artist album list Cool The point is to avoid browsing by All Artists category, too many artist...

(15-09-2022 20:17)stefano_mbp Wrote:  Then this should work: Artist.merge={All Artists}
Of course this is a compromise as you’ll find under Artist (album artists) all track artists too.

got it.
Artist.merge={Albumartist}
not the perfect solution, but at least, I can get all albums one artist is playing on (whatever albumartist or track artist) by going through All Artists list. The perfect solution would have been the same result, but by going though AlbumArtist list. I guess it's not possible Idea