MinimServer Forum
EU VAT on MinimServer license purchases - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: EU VAT on MinimServer license purchases (/showthread.php?tid=5948)

EU VAT on MinimServer license purchases - simoncn - 02-12-2020 12:21

From 1st January 2021, MinimServer license purchases will be subject to VAT if purchased by a resident of a European Union country (except for VAT-registered EU businesses). This will increase the cost of a MinimServer license by between 17% and 27% depending on your country of residence. This change does not affect license purchases by UK residents or residents of countries outside the EU.

This change is a result of the UK leaving the EU. Until now, MimimServer license purchases have been exempt from EU VAT because of rules that provided exemptions for EU-based small businesses. When the UK fully leaves the EU, these exemptions will no longer apply.

RE: EU VAT on MinimServer license purchases - lyapounov - 21-12-2020 09:17

Hi Simon,

Can you remind me at which level you ask for a physical address ? Or is it tied to the credit card number ?

Thx

Cheers

RE: EU VAT on MinimServer license purchases - simoncn - 21-12-2020 22:08

With my present payment processor, the address is taken from the PayPal account if paying by PayPal and is entered manually by the user if paying by credit card.

I will be changing to a different payment processor on or before 1st January in order to be compliant with EU VAT rules. Based on my testing so far with the new payment processor, it appears that the address prompt happens before the prompt to choose between PayPal and a credit card. This would mean that the user needs to enter their address manually in all cases, including for PayPal where this information is already known.

There might be a way to change this but this is likely to take some time to investigate and implement. Apart from the need to enter information that should already be available, is there a reason why this is important for you?

RE: EU VAT on MinimServer license purchases - lyapounov - 22-12-2020 08:31

The best processor for me is stripe, by far.

RE: EU VAT on MinimServer license purchases - simoncn - 22-12-2020 23:21

Unfortunately Stripe doesn't integrate with PayPal and doesn't provide support for complying with EU VAT regulations.

RE: EU VAT on MinimServer license purchases - simoncn - 30-12-2020 21:12

The license purchase page on minimworld.com will be down for maintenance from approximately 23.00 GMT on 31st December 2020. It will be updated to support the EU VAT rules that will apply to MinimServer license purchases from 1st January 2021. I am hoping that the page will be available again some time on 1st January or shortly thereafter.

RE: EU VAT on MinimServer license purchases - Stopeter44bis - 31-12-2020 14:39

Sigh, another great advantage to Brexit (not)

RE: EU VAT on MinimServer license purchases - Lakorus - 31-12-2020 14:59

Thank you for the information, Simon. As a consequence, I just bought the licence.
Best regard and a happy new year
Lakorus

RE: EU VAT on MinimServer license purchases - simoncn - 01-01-2021 23:19

The license purchase page is available again. It is using a new checkout that complies with EU VAT rules. The new checkout directly supports card purchases in addition to PayPal.