MinimServer Forum
ogg support - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: ogg support (/showthread.php?tid=576)

Pages: 1 2 3

ogg support - abadonna - 17-04-2013 00:25

How about ogg music files support? It would be very useful.

RE: ogg support - simoncn - 17-04-2013 09:17

(17-04-2013 00:25)abadonna Wrote:  How about ogg music files support? It would be very useful.

Thanks for the suggestion. Realistically, it isn't very likely that I would be able to do this, given the large number of other things that are already on the wish list.

RE: ogg support - bbrip - 17-04-2013 09:53

ogg is indeed a bit of a niche format, like ape and some other "weirdos" Wink Is there any specific reason you use ogg? Does your current gear not support any of the more 'standard' formats?

bbrip

RE: ogg support - abadonna - 19-04-2013 00:59

Why ogg? Hmm... let's say it is philosophical reason. As a FOSS user and it's advocate for many, many years now, I used to collect my music in this open container and I have never used proprietary MP3 format. Right now I collect my music in flac, but still have tons of ogg files.

Of course I can convert it to one of, what you have called it, "standard format", but I consider it as a last resort.

I just thought that the author of minimserver who claims this on "MinimServer technology":

"[...] At some point I might release the jMinim framework as open source, but I'm rather preoccupied with working on MinimServer at the moment..."

will embrace more open formats, not only "standard" ones.

Anyway, MinimServer is just a wonderful product.

RE: ogg support - simoncn - 19-04-2013 07:30

(19-04-2013 00:59)abadonna Wrote:  Why ogg? Hmm... let's say it is philosophical reason. As a FOSS user and it's advocate for many, many years now, I used to collect my music in this open container and I have never used proprietary MP3 format. Right now I collect my music in flac, but still have tons of ogg files.

Of course I can convert it to one of, what you have called it, "standard format", but I consider it as a last resort.

I just thought that the author of minimserver who claims this on "MinimServer technology":

"[...] At some point I might release the jMinim framework as open source, but I'm rather preoccupied with working on MinimServer at the moment..."

will embrace more open formats, not only "standard" ones.

Anyway, MinimServer is just a wonderful product.

I understand what you're saying, and I'm sympathetic to your views on open formats. It's a question of priorities and workload. If I spend time on adding support for ogg, something else won't get done.

I've removed the paragraph about open-sourcing jMinim, as this doesn't seem likely to happen in the foreseeable future.

RE: ogg support - tarnkappe - 08-02-2014 12:15

Hello,

I am new to minimserver (smoothly installed yesterday on a Synology DS213+). The reasons why I am trying minimserver are

1) support for upnp search. This enables the random track functionality in the BubbleUPnP app. Great!
2) The support for transcoding to wav, because a naim uniti device does sound better when streamed with wav than flac.
3) Cover art is reliably transferred in high resolution (other than with the Synology media server that always forgets about the setting to transfer it that way).

I have read that the Synology media server will support to transcode to wav always, too, in the DSM 5 version. But I have no hope for 1).

After listening to some music I found that all my ogg/vorbis tracks were missing on the minimserver. Ohhhhh nooooo. It's a pitty. Such a good looking server and then such a show stopper for me. Sad

Why I am using ogg instead of mp3: Not only because it is completely free (free like freedom). Also it has better sound quality in low bit rates (what was interesting in former times on mobile mp3/ogg players because storage was small). But the main reason is, that mp3 does not support gapless playback as it is encoded in chunks, where the last chunk is padded with zero to fill it up AFAIK.

Anyhow I have really many music files mainly in flac, mp3 or ogg/vorbis. But I do not want to recode ogg always I get ogg. So I really vote for ogg support in minim server. How much had I to donate to trigger the development on this feature?

Greetings,
Gert

RE: ogg support - simoncn - 08-02-2014 13:39

(08-02-2014 12:15)tarnkappe Wrote:  Hello,

I am new to minimserver (smoothly installed yesterday on a Synology DS213+). The reasons why I am trying minimserver are

1) support for upnp search. This enables the random track functionality in the BubbleUPnP app. Great!
2) The support for transcoding to wav, because a naim uniti device does sound better when streamed with wav than flac.
3) Cover art is reliably transferred in high resolution (other than with the Synology media server that always forgets about the setting to transfer it that way).

I have read that the Synology media server will support to transcode to wav always, too, in the DSM 5 version. But I have no hope for 1).

After listening to some music I found that all my ogg/vorbis tracks were missing on the minimserver. Ohhhhh nooooo. It's a pitty. Such a good looking server and then such a show stopper for me. Sad

Why I am using ogg instead of mp3: Not only because it is completely free (free like freedom). Also it has better sound quality in low bit rates (what was interesting in former times on mobile mp3/ogg players because storage was small). But the main reason is, that mp3 does not support gapless playback as it is encoded in chunks, where the last chunk is padded with zero to fill it up AFAIK.

MP3 is encoded as a sequence of individual frames. Each frame contains 1152 samples, so each frame corresponds to about 1/40 of a second for a sample rate of 44100. In theory, this could cause a small gap of up to 1/40 of a second between tracks. However, I would expect the MP3 encoding of a complete album to adjust the break points between tracks so that they fall exactly on frame boundaries.

I haven't checked whether popular MP3 encoders do this adjustment. If they don't, there's an opportunity for someone to write a software tool that reads the tracks of an MP3 album and applies this adjustment.

Quote:Anyhow I have really many music files mainly in flac, mp3 or ogg/vorbis. But I do not want to recode ogg always I get ogg. So I really vote for ogg support in minim server. How much had I to donate to trigger the development on this feature?

Greetings,
Gert

It's not a matter of money; it's a matter of time. I have a very long list of requested enhancements and I don't have time to do them all. I don't see any realistic prospect of being able to find time to add ogg/vorbis support in the foreseeable future.

RE: ogg support - simoncn - 09-02-2014 15:58

(08-02-2014 13:39)simoncn Wrote:  It's not a matter of money; it's a matter of time. I have a very long list of requested enhancements and I don't have time to do them all. I don't see any realistic prospect of being able to find time to add ogg/vorbis support in the foreseeable future.

I've looked at the ogg and vorbis specifications. It might be possible for me to add support for ogg/vorbis to MinimServer within the next few weeks. I'll post back here if there is any progress.

RE: ogg support - tarnkappe - 11-02-2014 08:40

(09-02-2014 15:58)simoncn Wrote:  I've looked at the ogg and vorbis specifications. It might be possible for me to add support for ogg/vorbis to MinimServer within the next few weeks. I'll post back here if there is any progress.

This sounds great! Would be really fantastic! If you manage to support ogg, minimserver becomes by far the best upnp server that I have tried yet. (And I have tried some that run on linux, if not all that are available in debian and ubuntu. minidlna (aka readydlna) is quite good, too. Fast, supporting upnp search. This might be another good try, but it seems not to be installable so smoothly on a synology NAS. Also cover support is not as perfect as in minimserver.)

I, too, did search for java libraries that support reading ogg vorbis meta data. I have found 2 or 3. But I do not know if reading the meta data is the only thing that you have to implement. (As long as you do not support ogg/vorbis as input format for the minimstreamer. This would be a great feature, too, but has priority B, I think.)

I will check the minimserver changelog the next weeks regularly. Smile

Greetings,
Gert

RE: ogg support - tarnkappe - 11-02-2014 08:44

btw: I have subcribed to this ogg thread but did not recieve a notification mail for your reply. Is this a known problem with the forum or one with my mail provider, etc.?