MinimServer Forum
MinimWatch2 not finding MinimServer2 - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: MinimServer 2 (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: MinimWatch2 not finding MinimServer2 (/showthread.php?tid=5702)

MinimWatch2 not finding MinimServer2 - Mike48 - 04-06-2020 01:24

MinimServer 2.0.12 is running on a Synology DS414, with MinimWatch2 on a Windows 7 PC. A problem has suddenly appeared that wasn't there 2 days ago.

MinimWatch2 on the PC is can't find MinimServer2 -- the icon is gray. Yet, I can access MinimServer Web interface on the same PC using the IP address of the NAS:9790.

BubbleUPnP on my smartphone can't find MinimServer2, either.

I don't know what has changed, but could this be a security problem of some kind?

RE: MinimWatch2 not finding MinimServer2 - Mike48 - 04-06-2020 02:44

Hmmm.... Rebooting the router solved the issue.

It's an ASUS RT-AC88U, which is supposed to be a good router, yet I've had various niggling problems with it lately that required a reboot. I hope it's not failing.

RE: MinimWatch2 not finding MinimServer2 - simoncn - 04-06-2020 08:43

Do you use a switch as well as the router? Some similar previous issues have turned out to be caused by the switch.

RE: MinimWatch2 not finding MinimServer2 - Mike48 - 05-06-2020 07:36

(04-06-2020 08:43)simoncn Wrote:  Do you use a switch as well as the router? Some similar previous issues have turned out to be caused by the switch.

Thanks, Simon. The NAS with MinimServer is connected directly to the router (an ASUS with 8 LAN ports). The PC goes through a TrendNet switch, but that doesn't explain why BubbleUPnP on a WiFi tablet couldn't find the server, either

I'm attributing this issue to an unknown singularity. My home-networked system works fine for months or years at a time, then suddenly, communications get lost and things can't find one another -- mostly it's the server that becomes invisible. It's just IPIO.*

Mike

* When I was a kid and a ham radio operator, a phenomenon so common as to have its own acronym was the Innate Perversity of Inanimate Objects. This basis for Murphy's Law clearly is a big factor in today's world of networked devices.