MinimServer Forum
Linn Kazoo app - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Linn Kazoo app (/showthread.php?tid=5253)

Pages: 1 2

Linn Kazoo app - Kangar - 11-04-2019 15:51

Hi all,
I have installed MinimServer on RPI 3, and use Linn Kazoo as control point on my iPhone, everything works well, except DSD file, although I can view and select DSD files, but music won’t play, wonder if anyone come across the same issue? And any solution to is?
Thanks
Kwan

RE: Linn Kazoo app - ac16161 - 11-04-2019 16:20

Which Linn streamer are you using? For native playback you need one from the Katalyst range, otherwise you need to transcode.

RE: Linn Kazoo app - Kangar - 11-04-2019 16:43

(11-04-2019 16:20)ac16161 Wrote:  Which Linn streamer are you using? For native playback you need one from the Katalyst range, otherwise you need to transcode.
I don’t have any Linn streamer, I use allo digione signature player.
Now I understand why Kazoo doesn’t play DSD, luckily I can use Lumin to play DSD, although I prefer Kazoo as control point. Thanks for the reply.
Kwan

RE: Linn Kazoo app - ac16161 - 11-04-2019 17:03

I remembered that when I last tried dff:dopwav on a Linn streamer, it did not work, and it still doesn't on either my Katalyst-generation or old Majik streamer.

dsf:wav works if I set it to dsf:wav24;176, though in my case I have a mixed environment where one streamer requires the transcoding but the other does not. If I set the transcode setting to dsf:-/wav24;176, the non-Katalyst streamer will not play a dsf file at all, but the Katalyst one plays as native dsf. In theory the transcode should kick in as required but it does not work for me. This is not ideal but I have a small number of dsf files.

RE: Linn Kazoo app - simoncn - 11-04-2019 18:22

(11-04-2019 17:03)ac16161 Wrote:  I remembered that when I last tried dff:dopwav on a Linn streamer, it did not work, and it still doesn't on either my Katalyst-generation or old Majik streamer.

dsf:wav works if I set it to dsf:wav24;176, though in my case I have a mixed environment where one streamer requires the transcoding but the other does not. If I set the transcode setting to dsf:-/wav24;176, the non-Katalyst streamer will not play a dsf file at all, but the Katalyst one plays as native dsf. In theory the transcode should kick in as required but it does not work for me. This is not ideal but I have a small number of dsf files.

It sounds like your control point (which one?) doesn't support the UPnP protocol for handling multiple server streams.

RE: Linn Kazoo app - ac16161 - 11-04-2019 18:37

So that's interesting. iOS Kinsky works correctly with dsf:-/wav24;176 sending DSF to the Katalyst sreamer and WAV to the old Majik.

Kazoo and Linn (via Testflight) both stumble, they don't send WAV to the Majik.

Always been partial to Kinsky, alas as yet, Linn (the control point) is not looking at all promising in my view. Fear that Linn are losing their way.

RE: Linn Kazoo app - simoncn - 11-04-2019 19:37

Yes, in some ways Kazoo is a step backward from Kinsky, unfortunately. I still use Kinsky on my Windows 7 PC.

What is Linn (via Testflight)? A replacement for Kazoo?

RE: Linn Kazoo app - Streamer - 15-04-2019 19:58

(11-04-2019 19:37)simoncn Wrote:  Yes, in some ways Kazoo is a step backward from Kinsky, unfortunately. I still use Kinsky on my Windows 7 PC.

What is Linn (via Testflight)? A replacement for Kazoo?

Hi Simon,
As you rightly state this is a replacement control point for Kazoo.

RE: Linn Kazoo app - Streamer - 15-04-2019 20:00

(11-04-2019 15:51)Kangar Wrote:  Hi all,
I have installed MinimServer on RPI 3, and use Linn Kazoo as control point on my iPhone, everything works well, except DSD file, although I can view and select DSD files, but music won’t play, wonder if anyone come across the same issue? And any solution to is?
Thanks
Kwan

Hi Kwan,

Linn Streamers do not support DSD.

RE: Linn Kazoo app - Cebolla - 16-04-2019 19:49

Yes, but that doesn't mean Linn Kazoo can't be used with an OpenHome supporting streamer that does support DSD files - Kwan isn't using a Linn Streamer.

BTW, I've had managed to use the Windows version of the Linn Kazoo app to get an OpenHome supporting renderer, foobar2000 with the foo_upnp plugin's standard UPnP renderer (via the BubbleUPnP Server's create an OpenHome Renderer helper service), to play DSD files from MinimServer (no transcoding set):
[attachment=1708]

Admittedly, I had to carefully use a hexeditor at the appropriate location of the foo_upnp plugin dll's MIME Type support table (luckily the values were held as ASCII characters) - the original foo_upnp hasn't been updated for some time and doesn't contain any of the two DSD file types so for the test I (temporarily) swapped the audio/x-mp3 MIME type for audio/x-dsf, as it's an exact fit.