MinimServer Forum
Trouble Playing DSD128 on Melco N1Z > USB > PS Audio DirectStream - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Trouble Playing DSD128 on Melco N1Z > USB > PS Audio DirectStream (/showthread.php?tid=4306)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Trouble Playing DSD128 on Melco N1Z > USB > PS Audio DirectStream - GreenMtnGringo - 23-12-2017 22:20

Hi, I purchased my first DSD128 download (Bill Evans - Another Time: The Hilversum Concert, from HDTracks.com) in the hopes of playing it on my Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk. 1 via USB into my PS Audio DirectStream DAC. I have the latest version of MinimServer (v0.8.5.2) on the Melco and the corresponding version of MinimWatch on my MacBook Pro.

I have tried numerous DLNA control point apps and programs (JRiver 20 for Mac; Linn Kazoo (Android app and Mac OS); Audirvana Plus 3; Bubble UPnP; and mconnect Player Lite). Regardless of controller, the DSD128 .dsf files will not play all the way through without buffering, stuttering and, eventually, stalling. (Interestingly, JRiver 20, which is far and away the oldest of the control software I tried, works the best initially, but the .dsf files still stall out before a track plays all the way through.)

I am confident there is nothing wrong with the .dsf files themselves, as I played the full DSD128 album without a problem with the files on my MBP, which was connected to an ifi iDSD Micro DAC via USB.

I can play 24/192 PCM files and DSD64 files from the Melco to the PS Audio DAC consistently without issue (as long as I do not use Audirvana Plus 3, that is). Is there something about DSD128 files which presents a problem for Melcos? Are there any settings on the Melco and/or in MinimServer I should try changing?

Thanks very much and happy holidays to all!

RE: Trouble Playing DSD128 on Melco N1Z > USB > PS Audio DirectStream - NickD - 24-12-2017 03:09

I don't have any insight into the Melco. I have, however, had trouble with 2xHD files. I had correspondence with Rene Laflamne at 2xHD about it and he had no explanation. Have you tried other dsd 128 files?

RE: Trouble Playing DSD128 on Melco N1Z > USB > PS Audio DirectStream - GreenMtnGringo - 24-12-2017 03:37

Hi NickD, and thanks for the post. No, I have not yet tried other DSD128 files, as I do not have any presently besides the 2xHD download of Bill Evans. What sort of trouble have you had with 2xHD files? As I noted in my opening post, the Bill Evans files played fine via USB from my MBP to my ifi iDSD Micro DAC. Thanks again.

RE: Trouble Playing DSD128 on Melco N1Z > USB > PS Audio DirectStream - NickD - 24-12-2017 16:06

The ones I had trouble with would not play at all on my dac. A friend of mine had the same problem so I was trying it on his behalf. It played fine on his ifi dac but not his main one, not a Melco either. I have other 2xHD dsd128 and many other labels that play perfectly well so i assumed it was the file itself but that was never proven definitively. As noted 2xHD tried to help but found nothing amiss in the encoding.

RE: Trouble Playing DSD128 on Melco N1Z > USB > PS Audio DirectStream - GreenMtnGringo - 24-12-2017 17:49

Thanks, NickD. To avoid the possibility that there may be something amiss with the 2xHD DSD128 files I downloaded from HDTracks, I downloaded two free/legal DSD128 files from the 2L website (http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html?), one DSF file and one DFF file. Same buffering/stuttering/stalling problem when trying to play the 2L DSD128 files from the Melco hard drive. HOWEVER, I was able to play these two 2L files from my MacBook Pro SSD to the Melco USB Media Renderer via WiFi using JRiver 20 for Mac. This arguably indicates that there is something about my current Melco/MinimServer setup that does not like DSD128 files. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

RE: Trouble Playing DSD128 on Melco N1Z > USB > PS Audio DirectStream - magister - 25-12-2017 07:20

The DirectStream DAC can play double rate DSD only over its I2S inputs, not USB. See the manual under 'Digital Inputs.'

Edit: I was thinking of native DSD when I wrote the above. You can play DSD via the DirectStream's USB if you have MinimServer transcode DSD to DoP. I do this all the time with single rate DSD; I believe, but I am not certain, that this will work via USB for double rate also.

There is a section in the MinimStreamer manual about transcoding. As I recall, you set the stream transcode field to dsf:dop — double check the manual to make sure I’m remembering properly.

RE: Trouble Playing DSD128 on Melco N1Z > USB > PS Audio DirectStream - GreenMtnGringo - 25-12-2017 17:41

Hi, thanks magister, transcoding from dsf and dff to dop is set up and works fine with dsd64. When playing dsd128, though, the system freaks out ... the DS display starts out indicating DSD128 and DOP as the music begins playing. But when the buffering and stuttering start, the DS indicators switch to 24-bit PCM and 352.4 kHz, and then the sound conks out completely.

RE: Trouble Playing DSD128 on Melco N1Z > USB > PS Audio DirectStream - NickD - 25-12-2017 20:32

Sounds like you are losing lock on the incoming signal. At a guess its a buffering issue. Have you tried the preBuffer parameter in minimstreamer options?

RE: Trouble Playing DSD128 on Melco N1Z > USB > PS Audio DirectStream - magister - 25-12-2017 20:34

The specs for the DS DAC say that double rate DSD is supported via DOP on all inputs (except Ethernet with the optional Bridge card which is limited to single rate), so you should be able to play the file. It seems likely there is some interaction with the Melco, which I know nothing about. I'd suggest posting the question on the PSA forum; people there are helpful and maybe somebody has experience with Melcos.

RE: Trouble Playing DSD128 on Melco N1Z > USB > PS Audio DirectStream - simoncn - 26-12-2017 19:07

Double rate DSD encapsulated as DoP requires about 26 Mpbs of network bandwidth. This should be OK with a 100 Mpbs network connection but any issues with the network could cause problems.