MinimServer Forum
Auto Rescan package for Synology users (formerly known as Auto Restart package) - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Auto Rescan package for Synology users (formerly known as Auto Restart package) (/showthread.php?tid=426)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Auto Restart package for Synology users - winxi - 02-09-2014 11:25

(02-09-2014 11:06)Patatorz Wrote:  So it should come from DSM ?

There seems to be a problem with inotify-tools and DSM 5 on x86 devices. Unfortunately, I can't give support for this because I don't own a x86 NAS.
You may try to install inotify-tools yourself by using the Synology tool chains and compiling the inotify-tools source code. When the Auto Restart package finds a working inotifywait binary somewhere in $PATH, it should be working normally again.

RE: Auto Restart package for Synology users - Patatorz - 02-09-2014 12:39

Using Synology Tool Chains and compiling is not one of my competency....I will expect somebody with DSM5 and this problem would do it or I will leave Auto-restart. Thanks for your great support

RE: Auto Restart package for Synology users - simoncn - 02-09-2014 13:06

(02-09-2014 11:25)winxi Wrote:  There seems to be a problem with inotify-tools and DSM 5 on x86 devices.

The x86 version of DSM 5 updated the GLIBC level from 2.3.6 to 2.13. I am surprised that this would cause a problem because binaries compiled for lower GLIBC levels should run OK on higher GLIBC levels.

RE: Auto Restart package for Synology users - winxi - 02-09-2014 13:52

(02-09-2014 13:06)simoncn Wrote:  
(02-09-2014 11:25)winxi Wrote:  There seems to be a problem with inotify-tools and DSM 5 on x86 devices.

The x86 version of DSM 5 updated the GLIBC level from 2.3.6 to 2.13. I am surprised that this would cause a problem because binaries compiled for lower GLIBC levels should run OK on higher GLIBC levels.

Maybe this post mentions a related issue. I'd apprecitate if somebody with the required knowledge could try compiling and running inotify-tools on an x86 NAS with DSM 5.

Auto Restart package for Synology failed to install - Meffy - 03-11-2014 03:27

Hello winxi trying to install Auto Restart package on DS 412+ (DSM 5.0-4528 update 1) but it fails to install. I get a massage "Action Failed" I have downloaded the latest "AutoRestart-0.9.spk"
Im trying to install it from synology the package center.
What am i doing wrong?

Regards Meffy

RE: Auto Restart package for Synology users - winxi - 04-11-2014 08:15

(03-11-2014 03:27)Meffy Wrote:  Hello winxi trying to install Auto Restart package on DS 412+ (DSM 5.0-4528 update 1) but it fails to install. I get a massage "Action Failed" I have downloaded the latest "AutoRestart-0.9.spk"
What am i doing wrong?

Regards Meffy

Acoording to reports from other users, there seems to be an incompatibility with inotify-tools on x86 devices. Unfotunately, I'm not able to proveide support for this.

RE: Auto Restart package for Synology users - tbe2013 - 22-11-2014 09:31

(04-11-2014 08:15)winxi Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 03:27)Meffy Wrote:  Hello winxi trying to install Auto Restart package on DS 412+ (DSM 5.0-4528 update 1) but it fails to install. I get a massage "Action Failed" I have downloaded the latest "AutoRestart-0.9.spk"
What am i doing wrong?

Regards Meffy

Acoording to reports from other users, there seems to be an incompatibility with inotify-tools on x86 devices. Unfotunately, I'm not able to proveide support for this.

Hi Winxi,
I am faced with the same issue (inotify-tools can not be invoked by daemon user) on two x86 devices (DS1512+ & DS214play). Would it be possible for you to assist when having root access to one of these machines? I am not used to compile these by myself. If yes I can give you access to my new DS214play which is configured but without any Data. The Auto Restart Package is very helpful and it would be a pity not to have it on x86 devices.
Regards
Tobias

RE: Auto Restart package for Synology users - goforit - 29-11-2014 14:54

Hi winxi,

with Security check in DSM 5.1 (and the update 2 released today) I get the scan message: file /lib/libinotifytools.so.0 has been changed. Do you provide in your autorestart package this file in another version, or do you modify it? I would prefer to not fail the security scan, so is there any way of providing the wonderful autostart feature and not hampering the library file?

Best greetings
Martin, Hamburg

RE: Auto Restart package for Synology users - winxi - 29-11-2014 16:59

(22-11-2014 09:31)tbe2013 Wrote:  Hi Winxi,
I am faced with the same issue (inotify-tools can not be invoked by daemon user) on two x86 devices (DS1512+ & DS214play). Would it be possible for you to assist when having root access to one of these machines? I am not used to compile these by myself. If yes I can give you access to my new DS214play which is configured but without any Data. The Auto Restart Package is very helpful and it would be a pity not to have it on x86 devices.
Regards
Tobias

Sorry, I do not provide this kind of support.
I'd like to encourage users of Synology x86 devices to try installing inotify-tools themselves. Maybe someone is successful and will post step-by-step instructions on how to do this.

RE: Auto Restart package for Synology users - winxi - 29-11-2014 17:11

(29-11-2014 14:54)goforit Wrote:  Hi winxi,

with Security check in DSM 5.1 (and the update 2 released today) I get the scan message: file /lib/libinotifytools.so.0 has been changed. Do you provide in your autorestart package this file in another version, or do you modify it? I would prefer to not fail the security scan, so is there any way of providing the wonderful autostart feature and not hampering the library file?

Best greetings
Martin, Hamburg

Hi, the AutoRestart package downloads the latest inotify-tools source code and compiles and installs it using 'make' and 'make install'. The standard installation procedure does among others:
- create the file libinotifytools.so.0.4.1 in /lib
- create the link libinotifytools.so.0 -> libinotifytools.so.0.4.1 in /lib
Thus, the original shared object file /lib/libinotifytools.so.0 is overwritten by the link and this is detected by the Synology Security Advisor.

However, there have been no reports from users that this has caused any problems and I have no plans to alter the standard installation procedure. If you are not comfortable with the original file being replaced, you may want try to find a manual inotify-tools installation procedure which leaves the original /lib/libinotifytools.so.0 untouched before installing the AutoRestart package.