MinimServer Forum
not all custom mp3 tags are shown? - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: not all custom mp3 tags are shown? (/showthread.php?tid=383)

Pages: 1 2 3

not all custom mp3 tags are shown? - alexinc - 09-12-2012 15:32

hey again,

second question i got: installed minimserver on my nas with mp3 collection. all mp3s are tagged with foobar quite extensive and some custom tags as id3v2.3 only. now i noticed that "style"-tag is showing quite a lot files but not close to all included in my collection. its even more confusing when choosing my "remixed by"-tag. none is shown, besides one m4a file i have in my collection all others are shown as [unknown]!?

i'm using minimwatch on win machine to configure headless nas, but its properties screen needs more explanation, i guess. :-) not quite sure if its my fault or minimserver not handling those tags correctly yet.

thx i.a.

RE: not all custom mp3 tags are shown? - simoncn - 09-12-2012 15:55

(09-12-2012 15:32)alexinc Wrote:  hey again,

second question i got: installed minimserver on my nas with mp3 collection. all mp3s are tagged with foobar quite extensive and some custom tags as id3v2.3 only. now i noticed that "style"-tag is showing quite a lot files but not close to all included in my collection. its even more confusing when choosing my "remixed by"-tag. none is shown, besides one m4a file i have in my collection all others are shown as [unknown]!?

i'm using minimwatch on win machine to configure headless nas, but its properties screen needs more explanation, i guess. :-) not quite sure if its my fault or minimserver not handling those tags correctly yet.

thx i.a.

To get MinimServer to read custom tags, you need to add the names of the custom tags to the indexTags property in MinimWatch. Have you added 'Style' and 'Remixed by' to the tag names in indexTags?

If you have done this and you still aren't seeing the custom tags, which tagging program did you use to add these tags?

You can find a description of all the MinimWatch properties on this page.

RE: not all custom mp3 tags are shown? - alexinc - 09-12-2012 16:13

(09-12-2012 15:55)simoncn Wrote:  
(09-12-2012 15:32)alexinc Wrote:  hey again,

thx i.a.

To get MinimServer to read custom tags, you need to add the names of the custom tags to the indexTags property in MinimWatch. Have you added 'Style' and 'Remixed by' to the tag names in indexTags?

If you have done this and you still aren't seeing the custom tags, which tagging program did you use to add these tags?

You can find a description of all the MinimWatch properties on this page.

hey simon, as already written of course i added those two tags to indexTags, thats why i'm so confused. as you can read i also get results but not all files are shown (style-tag) and not a single MP3-file is shown (remixed by-tag), only that single m4a-files is listed under remixed by-tree, the others as [unknow]. that leads to the conclution not all files/tags are read correctly or there may be a problems with id3v2.3??? all files got tagged with foobar in one single pattern, so all got the same treatment after removing all tags first and than adding them back as id3v2.3. :-)

RE: not all custom mp3 tags are shown? - simoncn - 09-12-2012 17:46

(09-12-2012 16:13)alexinc Wrote:  hey simon, as already written of course i added those two tags to indexTags, thats why i'm so confused. as you can read

I didn't see any mention of indexTags in your previous post.

Quote:i also get results but not all files are shown (style-tag) and not a single MP3-file is shown (remixed by-tag), only that single m4a-files is listed under remixed by-tree, the others as [unknow]. that leads to the conclution not all files/tags are read correctly or there may be a problems with id3v2.3??? all files got tagged with foobar in one single pattern, so all got the same treatment after removing all tags first and than adding them back as id3v2.3. :-)

According to this page, foobar writes 'Remixed By' to the TPE4 frame in an ID3v2 tag. MinimServer doesn't currently read the TPE4 frame. I'll put this on the list of improvements for a future release.

This doesn't explain the problem with Style tags, because there's no mention on this page of any custom mapping by foobar for the Style tag. What kinds of files are missing the Style tag information when you view them using MinimServer?

RE: not all custom mp3 tags are shown? - alexinc - 09-12-2012 20:52

(09-12-2012 17:46)simoncn Wrote:  I didn't see any mention of indexTags in your previous post.

as i wrote that some are shown correctly i thought this would clear things i'm using the indexTags... ;-) nevermind. :-)

Quote:According to this page, foobar writes 'Remixed By' to the TPE4 frame in an ID3v2 tag. MinimServer doesn't currently read the TPE4 frame. I'll put this on the list of improvements for a future release.

that sounds like a big improvement to me. looking forward!

Quote:This doesn't explain the problem with Style tags, because there's no mention on this page of any custom mapping by foobar for the Style tag. What kinds of files are missing the Style tag information when you view them using MinimServer?

just checked with perry's id3 tag viewer, remixed by is indeed written to TPE4, style is an TXXX field and written by discogs-plugin for foobar.

RE: not all custom mp3 tags are shown? - simoncn - 09-12-2012 21:25

(09-12-2012 20:52)alexinc Wrote:  just checked with perry's id3 tag viewer, remixed by is indeed written to TPE4, style is an TXXX field and written by discogs-plugin for foobar.

MinimServer reads information from ID3v2 TXXX fields. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be able to read a TXXX Style field. Is there any pattern to which files have Style tags shown correctly by MinimServer and which ones don't?

RE: not all custom mp3 tags are shown? - alexinc - 09-12-2012 21:40

(09-12-2012 21:25)simoncn Wrote:  MinimServer reads information from ID3v2 TXXX fields. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be able to read a TXXX Style field. Is there any pattern to which files have Style tags shown correctly by MinimServer and which ones don't?

could it be related to multi value tagging? style tag can handle multi values seprated by ; !? so only the first value gets recognized by minimserver?

RE: not all custom mp3 tags are shown? - simoncn - 09-12-2012 21:59

(09-12-2012 21:40)alexinc Wrote:  could it be related to multi value tagging? style tag can handle multi values seprated by ; !? so only the first value gets recognized by minimserver?

Yes, that's the problem. The use of ';' to separate tag values doesn't conform to any standard tagging specification and isn't supported by MinimServer. You can use Mp3tag (and possibly other programs) to convert these nonstandard tags into standard tags using a batch process. Each style value would need to be written to the file as a separate TXXX field.

RE: not all custom mp3 tags are shown? - simoncn - 09-12-2012 22:12

(09-12-2012 21:40)alexinc Wrote:  could it be related to multi value tagging? style tag can handle multi values seprated by ; !? so only the first value gets recognized by minimserver?

A further thought on this: if this is the problem, MinimServer would treat the whole tag value as the Style value, including anything that comes after the ';'. Is this what you're seeing?

RE: not all custom mp3 tags are shown? - alexinc - 09-12-2012 22:42

(09-12-2012 22:12)simoncn Wrote:  A further thought on this: if this is the problem, MinimServer would treat the whole tag value as the Style value, including anything that comes after the ';'. Is this what you're seeing?

nope. Shy its listed under the first entry before the ';'. Cool no big deal to me, as i prefer the genre tag. just a thing i noticed when starting to play around with your software. now if remixed by may become a part of minimserver it may become the tool of my choice. last but not least i'm quite sure the samsung story may get solved sooner or later too. the next days i'm trying to get into the tree architecture to get my collection viewed as close as possible i'm used to setup my db with foobar... Big Grin