MinimServer Forum
Rating tag index - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Rating tag index (/showthread.php?tid=375)

Rating tag index - Rairwave - 02-12-2012 12:03

I really like Minimserver and it has the potential to be the best upnp server out there !!!!

Got a question about the rating tag index. I want to use rating to distinguish music I like and less like in a large library (2000+ albums).

I use Jaikoz (mac version) to add a rating to a combination of m4a, flac and mp3 files. These music files are stored on a Synology nas. In the properties of Minimserver I have added "Rating" to index. The problem is that not all rating is indexed and displayed correctly in either plugplayer, kinsky or chorusds. For some songs the rating shows correctly others don't show at all.

I analysed it a bit deeper and found out it works great for flac files. I looked with mediainfo (installed on the synology nas itself) at the actual tags and I see a "Rating" tag (for example 60 for 3 stars in Jaikoz). Plugplayer and the other controllers show the exact number (e.g. 60).

But it doesn't work for the m4a files. Mediainfo shows "rate" and "RATING MM" but no "Rating" tag. I tried to solve it by adding "rate" to the index tags in the properties of Minimserver but that doesn't help. The rating of m4a files is not indexed and shown in plugplayer (and others).

How can I successfully index the rating tag on all my music, independend of codec used?

RE: Rating tag index - simoncn - 02-12-2012 16:30

(02-12-2012 12:03)Rairwave Wrote:  I really like Minimserver and it has the potential to be the best upnp server out there !!!!

Got a question about the rating tag index. I want to use rating to distinguish music I like and less like in a large library (2000+ albums).

I use Jaikoz (mac version) to add a rating to a combination of m4a, flac and mp3 files. These music files are stored on a Synology nas. In the properties of Minimserver I have added "Rating" to index. The problem is that not all rating is indexed and displayed correctly in either plugplayer, kinsky or chorusds. For some songs the rating shows correctly others don't show at all.

I analysed it a bit deeper and found out it works great for flac files. I looked with mediainfo (installed on the synology nas itself) at the actual tags and I see a "Rating" tag (for example 60 for 3 stars in Jaikoz). Plugplayer and the other controllers show the exact number (e.g. 60).

But it doesn't work for the m4a files. Mediainfo shows "rate" and "RATING MM" but no "Rating" tag. I tried to solve it by adding "rate" to the index tags in the properties of Minimserver but that doesn't help. The rating of m4a files is not indexed and shown in plugplayer (and others).

How can I successfully index the rating tag on all my music, independend of codec used?

It sounds like there's a problem with Jaikoz adding a Rating tag to an m4a file. From this description, when you do that, MediaInfo shows no Rating tag in the file, and MinimServer also doesn't find a Rating tag in the file. This seems to indicate that Jaikoz didn't write the tag correctly.

Different file formats have different ways to do tagging. For m4a files, custom tags (such as Rating) should be written inside the '----' atom, and MinimServer reads this atom and its contents. It seems that Jaikoz isn't writing Rating information to this location. Can you ask on a Jaikoz forum for details of how Jaikoz writes Rating information inside an m4a file?

RE: Rating tag index - bbrip - 02-12-2012 18:33

Hi Rairwave,

maybe have a look at qoobar, which is a pretty competent tagging software also available for MAC. (Unfortunatly the 'gold-standard' mp3tag is only available for Windows).

The link is: http://qoobar.sourceforge.net/en/index.htm

Jaikoz is a pretty useless monster. It is not handling multi-tags correctly, it is not handling ratings correctly - the list of problems goes on and on.

Good luck
bbrip

RE: Rating tag index - Rairwave - 03-12-2012 08:16

(02-12-2012 16:30)simoncn Wrote:  It sounds like there's a problem with Jaikoz adding a Rating tag to an m4a file. From this description, when you do that, MediaInfo shows no Rating tag in the file, and MinimServer also doesn't find a Rating tag in the file. This seems to indicate that Jaikoz didn't write the tag correctly.

Different file formats have different ways to do tagging. For m4a files, custom tags (such as Rating) should be written inside the '----' atom, and MinimServer reads this atom and its contents. It seems that Jaikoz isn't writing Rating information to this location. Can you ask on a Jaikoz forum for details of how Jaikoz writes Rating information inside an m4a file?

Thanks Simon,
This is the response from Jaikoz:
"
Hi, Jaikoz uses the rate tag, this was also used by Media Monkey at the time it was added. There is not a defined standard for ratings in mp4, the correct answer is most probably to use the most popular field but many players such as iTunes actually store ratings in a separate database rather than store the ratings in the files themselves which makes mapping ratings confusing.

There is currently no way to change this mapping in Jaikoz, I've created
http://www.jthink.net:8081/browse/JAIKOZ-504
to look into this further.
"
I'll see what I can do with this info. Thanks!

RE: Rating tag index - Rairwave - 03-12-2012 08:23

(02-12-2012 18:33)bbrip Wrote:  Hi Rairwave,

maybe have a look at qoobar, which is a pretty competent tagging software also available for MAC. (Unfortunatly the 'gold-standard' mp3tag is only available for Windows).

The link is: http://qoobar.sourceforge.net/en/index.htm

Jaikoz is a pretty useless monster. It is not handling multi-tags correctly, it is not handling ratings correctly - the list of problems goes on and on.

Good luck
bbrip

I installed qoobar (which I didn't find easy to use) and changed some values. But qoobar also doesn't store the rating in the Rating tag. And when I then wanted to open the same files in Jaikoz, it told me they were corrupted. Luckily I had a backup... Very strange!

RE: Rating tag index - bbrip - 03-12-2012 16:40

Strange indeed. I must admit that I don't use the rating tag at all but all other tags are handled perfectly by qoobar. I use it as on-the-fly tool when correcting errors etc on the sofa on my MacAir...

My main tagging tool remains mp3tag

RE: Rating tag index - simoncn - 03-12-2012 17:15

(03-12-2012 16:40)bbrip Wrote:  Strange indeed. I must admit that I don't use the rating tag at all but all other tags are handled perfectly by qoobar. I use it as on-the-fly tool when correcting errors etc on the sofa on my MacAir...

My main tagging tool remains mp3tag

I've no experience of either qoobar or Jaikoz. These inconsistencies between different file types and tagging programs are annoying and frustrating. Someone else recently had a similar issue with being unable to apply Label tags to mp3 files using Jaikoz.

When I get a bit of time, I'll try to produce Yet Another List of which tag names work with which file formats and tagging programs. The problem is usually that the tagging program tries to be too "smart" instead of just writing the actual tag name as a string.