MinimServer Forum
Booklets - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Booklets (/showthread.php?tid=3713)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Booklets - rompolompo - 19-12-2016 05:51

Simon,

Many thanks for adding the booklet feature. It works beautifully!

Excellent work!

RE: Booklets - Mike48 - 20-12-2016 05:11

I'd like to add my thanks, also, for the booklet feature. This is really the icing on the cake!

With that, a request: would it be possible to have MinimServer recognize any filename with the word "booklet" in it and ending in ".pdf" as a valid booklet? I have several hundred albums dowloaded from eClassical, and their booklets have names like this: BIS-1858-SA_booklet.pdf-97f195.pdf

OR, if no one else needs such a feature, perhaps someone can suggest a batch command or script that would recurse directories and copy each file into booklet.pdf. (Ten years ago, I could have done this myself in Python, but I haven't used it in too long to get it done now.)

Later in the evening: I managed to put together a batch file to do this for all the BIS records, and also got many of the others. So no help with this is needed.

RE: Booklets - Andre Gosselin - 20-12-2016 17:32

(20-12-2016 05:11)Mike48 Wrote:  I'd like to add my thanks, also, for the booklet feature. This is really the icing on the cake!

With that, a request: would it be possible to have MinimServer recognize any filename with the word "booklet" in it and ending in ".pdf" as a valid booklet? I have several hundred albums dowloaded from eClassical, and their booklets have names like this: BIS-1858-SA_booklet.pdf-97f195.pdf
(...)
The possibility of accessing digital booklets through minimserver/BubbleUPnP is indeed a great addition! Thanks for that Simon.

I would support the suggestion made in the previous post of extending the recognition of the pdf file to any name matching a simple pattern inside its name, eg ending with "booklet.pdf". Here are some of my reasons.

I use to name my booklet files so as to match the album name stored in the tracks Album tags. Since my music manager (MediaMonkey) runs on Windows, some characters used in the album tags are disallowed inside Windows filenames, so some transcoding is needed when naming the associated pdf file. For example, it is quite frequent to see albums named
as follows :"Beethoven: Symphony No.3 & 6" inside major catalog listings (DG is a case). Because Windows disallows the use of colons inside filenames, the booklet pdf file cannot be named "Beethoven: Symphony No.3 & 6.pdf". The name must be changed slightly, for ex. recoding the ":" to a "-" to produce "Beethoven- Symphony No.3 & 6.pdf". Unfortunately, this results in minimserver not recognizing this pdf filename as matching the album name.

Apart from retagging my library so as to match the actual names of my album booklets (not a good idea to introduce Windows limitations in a data model ...), the only choice I see is to rename all the booklets to "booklet.pdf" inside their respective folders. This works, except that I will end up with thousands of similarly named anonymous "booklet.pdf" files spread over the file hierarchy. This can be error prone if a "booklet.pdf" file is misplaced by error following an operation on the file system.

It would be nice if the booklet file names could be made more meaningful by including some contextual information in addition to the word "booklet", in such a way that the pattern used would be easy for minimserver to match. For the example used above, the pdf file could be named "Beethoven- Symphonies No. 3 & 6 (booklet).pdf", and matched by minimserver by the (mandatory) "(booklet)" trailing part.

This is just a suggestion. Thanks again for this nice addition (which I think unique among current music servers).

Regards

RE: Booklets - simoncn - 20-12-2016 21:36

EDIT: The rules described below have changed in update 96. See this section for the new rules.

The name matching algorithm used by MinimServer for album names is as follows:

1) Start with the the full album name (from the ALBUM tag)

2) Remove any illegal filename characters from this name.
On Windows, the illegal filename characters are " * / : < > ? \ |
On Mac and Linux, the only illegal filename character is /

3) If the resulting name is not the empty string, use this name for the .pdf information file for the album

For example, the booklet file for the album name:

Beethoven: Symphony No.3 & 6

would be:

Beethoven Symphony No.3 & 6.pdf

on all platforms.

RE: Booklets - Andre Gosselin - 21-12-2016 00:38

(20-12-2016 21:36)simoncn Wrote:  The name matching algorithm used by MinimServer for album names is as follows:

1) Start with the the full album name (from the ALBUM tag)

2) Remove any illegal filename characters from this name.
On Windows, the illegal filename characters are " * / : < > ? \ |
On Mac and Linux, the only illegal filename character is /

3) If the resulting name is not the empty string, use this name for the .pdf information file for the album

For example, the booklet file for the album name:

Beethoven: Symphony No.3 & 6

would be:

Beethoven Symphony No.3 & 6.pdf

on all platforms.
Thanks Simon for this clarification. I was not aware of the algorithm used by MinimServer to match album names against pdf file names. I applied it to a few test cases, and everything works now as you said. I will update the names of all my pdf files accordingly.

May I ask another question? I used to keep my booklet files in a separate tree structure, constructed along the same branching structure as the one used for the audio tracks. This made their management easier (at least for me). If I were on Linux, I could use symlinks from the ContentDir to this parallel directory in order to avoid duplicating the pdf files. Windows does not offer the equivalent of linux symlinks. I tried creating Windows shortcuts in the ContentDir, but MinimServer does not seem to follow them. Would you know of any clean way to reproduce the effect on linux symlinks under Windows.

Thanks again!

RE: Booklets - Martin H - 21-12-2016 01:38

I had completely missed this somehow. Are there any plans from other control point providers (kazoo etc) to add this feature? i.e. I assume it's not limited only to bubble, but available to any control point that presents the request to the server and then handles the display of the booklet?

I apologise but I have looked on the Home page but haven't found (yet) any detailed description of the functionality. I am hoping that this should facilitate the user to use the control point to browse the booklet while music is playing?

Sounds cool.

RE: Booklets - Mike48 - 21-12-2016 04:06

Those looking for a description of the feature can find it here. It's under the release notes for MinimServer 0.8 update 92.

I'd missed it, too, until seeing it mentioned here in the Forum.

Be sure to add Comment to the itemTags setting in MinimServer/MinimWatch, or the booklets feature won't work!

RE: Booklets - simoncn - 21-12-2016 08:37

(21-12-2016 00:38)Andre Gosselin Wrote:  Thanks Simon for this clarification. I was not aware of the algorithm used by MinimServer to match album names against pdf file names. I applied it to a few test cases, and everything works now as you said. I will update the names of all my pdf files accordingly.

I will update the User guide section with this information. The same naming convention is used for finding album-specific artwork files.

Searching for files with "booklet" anywhere in the name wouldn't work because there could be multiple files like this in the folder and there wouldn't be any reasonable way for MinimServer to choose which file to use.

Quote:May I ask another question? I used to keep my booklet files in a separate tree structure, constructed along the same branching structure as the one used for the audio tracks. This made their management easier (at least for me). If I were on Linux, I could use symlinks from the ContentDir to this parallel directory in order to avoid duplicating the pdf files. Windows does not offer the equivalent of linux symlinks. I tried creating Windows shortcuts in the ContentDir, but MinimServer does not seem to follow them. Would you know of any clean way to reproduce the effect on linux symlinks under Windows.

Thanks again!

I tried creating symbolic links in my Windows library using the mklink command (you need to run this from an Administrator command prompt) and MinimServer is finding these files successfully.

RE: Booklets - simoncn - 21-12-2016 08:51

(21-12-2016 01:38)Martin H Wrote:  I had completely missed this somehow. Are there any plans from other control point providers (kazoo etc) to add this feature? i.e. I assume it's not limited only to bubble, but available to any control point that presents the request to the server and then handles the display of the booklet?

I tried Kazoo on iOS and this is ignoring the Description information (including the booklet link) sent by MinimServer.

RE: Booklets - Martin H - 21-12-2016 10:11

(21-12-2016 08:51)simoncn Wrote:  
(21-12-2016 01:38)Martin H Wrote:  I had completely missed this somehow. Are there any plans from other control point providers (kazoo etc) to add this feature? i.e. I assume it's not limited only to bubble, but available to any control point that presents the request to the server and then handles the display of the booklet?

I tried Kazoo on iOS and this is ignoring the Description information (including the booklet link) sent by MinimServer.

Thx - that confirms why my little test last night didn't work. I will dig out my 'BubbleDS' to get it to work and then enquire at Linn re Kazoo support. Very useful feature - thanks.