MinimServer Forum
How to handle Artist and Albumartist - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Music Tagging (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: How to handle Artist and Albumartist (/showthread.php?tid=3189)

Pages: 1 2 3

How to handle Artist and Albumartist - Ooteboe - 17-05-2016 07:10

Can someone please tell me how to place the following tags:

Oistrakh, David [Violin]
London Symphony Orchestra
Matačić, Lovro von [Conductor]

I want to see this nicely grouped together when opening up the metadata (BubbleUPnP) AND I want them in the index-tags, to be able to browse on them.

When I put the tag 'Artist' in itemtag as well as in indextag (Options Minimserver), I get a conflict. And I not succeeded to get the information from 'Albumartist' into the metadata (BubbleUPnP).

Thanks,

RE: How to handle Artist and Albumartist - antonmb - 17-05-2016 19:13

you will probably get a variety of answered to this, opinions and usage of tags for classical differ. I put Oistrakh in the tag SOLOISTS, the orchestra in the tag ORCHESTRA, and conductor in the tag (can you guess?) CONDUCTOR. I can then vie by any of the above.[/font] I put the composer in both the COMPOSER tag and the ALBUMARTIST tag, and leave the track artist blank. I do this so I can also view by album artist on Apple and Astell & Kern portable devices, which default to track artist rather than album artist.

RE: How to handle Artist and Albumartist - Ooteboe - 17-05-2016 21:08

(17-05-2016 19:13)antonmb Wrote:  you will probably get a variety of answered to this, opinions and usage of tags for classical differ. I put Oistrakh in the tag SOLOISTS, the orchestra in the tag ORCHESTRA, and conductor in the tag (can you guess?) CONDUCTOR. I can then vie by any of the above.[/font] I put the composer in both the COMPOSER tag and the ALBUMARTIST tag, and leave the track artist blank. I do this so I can also view by album artist on Apple and Astell & Kern portable devices, which default to track artist rather than album artist.

Thank you, this works. Didn't know I could make a new tag 'Soloists'. I put the three tags under 'Index tags'. Under Item tags I put 'Artist' and changed the tagFormat (tab Advanced) into: 'Artist.displayFormat={$soloists$orchestra$conductor}'.
And yes, conductor, soloists and orchestra are visible on the metadata-popup AND I can find them in the Library-browser.
Thanks again.

RE: How to handle Artist and Albumartist - antonmb - 17-05-2016 23:58

Glad it works for youSmile

RE: How to handle Artist and Albumartist - aliasname - 22-12-2016 08:48

Nice there's an existing thread about this topic.
Since being new to minim I got stuck somehow.

I'm in need of both artist aswell as albumartist, but minim somehow does mix things up and I found no way to get this solved.

I want a structure like this / or lets say the sections artist, album, tracks should look like this

albumartist
recordingyear/releaseyear - albumtitle [albumsubtitle] <albumversion>
currenttrack. trackartist - title [subtitle] <remix> (comment)

Managed to get this within a few minutes .. apart from 1 thing.
When looking into artists (Windows Media Player for example) I see bunches of 1-track artists due to the fact that it uses artist against album artist.
I've seen the note about WMP but I thought that minim is exactly designed to fool programs like this by re-defining things in tagformat.
Am I wrong here or did I miss something?

RE: How to handle Artist and Albumartist - simoncn - 22-12-2016 09:26

For normal UPnP browsing, the Artist index shows the album artist in preference to track artists. To see all track artists, you can look in the All Artists index.

WMP is not a normal UPnP browser. It loads the complete library from MinimServer and ignores the MinimServer index settings. For artist information, WMP uses whatever it sees in the track metadata, which is the track artist by default.

If you want to send only album artist information in the artist field of the track metadata, you can do this by adding the following to tagFormat:

Artist.displayFormat={$albumartist}

This should do what you want if all your tracks have an ALBUMARTIST tag. If they don't, you will get some tracks with no artist.

There is a different approach that can also cope with tracks without an ALBUMARTIST tag. Instead of doing the above, you can set the tagValue property to:

Artist.replace={AlbumArtist}

This replaces ARTIST tags with ALBUMARTIST tags if both of these are present. If there is no ALBUMARTIST tag, the ARTIST tag is left unchanged.

All the above processing is internal to MinimServer and doesn't change any tags in your files.

RE: How to handle Artist and Albumartist - aliasname - 22-12-2016 14:09

(22-12-2016 09:26)simoncn Wrote:  Artist.displayFormat={$albumartist}
Artist.replace={AlbumArtist}

these 2 lines did the trick.

(22-12-2016 09:26)simoncn Wrote:  All the above processing is internal to MinimServer and doesn't change any tags in your files.
Which is the most essential part of it. With 99% of other software you better make a collection write-protected to not end up with a totally corrupted summary of tracks.

I still run into a similar problem now.
Minim keeps 2 albums (same artist same albumtitle, different releases) separated from each other (another vital goody which is essential).
The bad thing, WMP mixes them all together again.
Am I right in assuming that I could adress this using the tagFormat by defining the .displayformat as it is now, but by also adding a .indexFormat?
Or must I go the hardware creating a customname for indexing which is a merger of rec.date, rel.date and albumtitle so that WMP won't get confused?

RE: How to handle Artist and Albumartist - DavidHB - 22-12-2016 14:44

(22-12-2016 14:09)aliasname Wrote:  Minim keeps 2 albums (same artist same albumtitle, different releases) separated from each other (another vital goody which is essential).
The bad thing, WMP mixes them all together again.
Am I right in assuming that I could adress this using the tagFormat by defining the .displayformat as it is now, but by also adding a .indexFormat?
Or must I go the hardware creating a customname for indexing which is a merger of rec.date, rel.date and albumtitle so that WMP won't get confused?

Simon advised that

"WMP is not a normal UPnP browser. It loads the complete library from MinimServer and ignores the MinimServer index settings. For artist information, WMP uses whatever it sees in the track metadata, which is the track artist by default."

This means that pretty much anything you set in MinimServer will be overridden by WMP. The moral, I fear, is that WMP is almost useless as a UPnP control point and renderer. There are alternatives, but without knowing more about your setup (and why you wish to use Windows Media Player at all), it is difficult to give specific advice.

David

RE: How to handle Artist and Albumartist - simoncn - 22-12-2016 15:29

There is no point in trying to do anything with indexFormat because this is completely ignored when WMP loads the files. What you are trying to do is like getting dressed one-handed. It is just about possible but there are much, much easier ways.

If you want to continue down this path, you can set

Album.displayFormat={$album$artist$date}

which should send WMP a unique album title for each album.

RE: How to handle Artist and Albumartist - aliasname - 22-12-2016 22:43

Album.displayFormat={$album$artist$date}

More or less. I'm again stuck @ something which I can't get solved.

Had this one:
album.displayFormat={$album^$albumsubtitle^ [^] $albumversion^ <^ $releaseyear^^>}
so i get my albums in the following represenations
Title [Best of] <Remaster 2016>
Title [Best of]
Title <Remaster 2016>
well I though so ... what I wasn't albe to solve is how to prevent printing the releaseyear which is only needed in case albumversion does exist.
Sort of passing the releaseyear into the albumversionsuffix.
But it was obvious this won't work using the $ in front of releaseyear since that prevents it being a suffer nor would it work removing the $ in front of it since then it'll simply print 'relaeseyear. Any idea? On how to put a framecontent into a prefix or suffix of another tag-name?