MinimServer Forum
MinimServer and Naim App - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: MinimServer and Naim App (/showthread.php?tid=2928)

Pages: 1 2

MinimServer and Naim App - flemingcool - 13-02-2016 16:24

Hi,

I've recently started having problems with Minimserver not showing up in the Naim app. I installed PLEX and started using that - it shows up all the time, but doesn't present my music the same way within the app. So I'd rather stick with Minimserver. I did a search and found another thread - and set my subnet to 192.168.0.1 - but then Minimserver throws up an error when I restart it.

Usually restarting Minimserver means it will show up in the Nim app for a few seconds, then it is gone again.

Any help would be appreciated!

RE: Minimserve and Naim App - simoncn - 13-02-2016 17:56

(13-02-2016 16:24)flemingcool Wrote:  Hi,

I've recently started having problems with Minimserve not showing up in the Naim app. I installed PLEX and started using that - it shows up all the time, but doesn't present my music the same way within the app. So I'd rather stick with Minimserve. I did a search and found another thread - and set my subnet to 192.168.0.1 - but then Minimserve throws up an error when I restart it.

Usually restarting Minimserve means it will show up in the Nim app for a few seconds, then it is gone again.

Any help would be appreciated!

It's MinimServer, not Minimserve.

The address 192.168.0.1 is not a valid subnet and this is why you are getting an error. In any case, it isn't likely that this is related to the problem.

What machine (PC, Mac or NAS) are you using to run MinimServer? How is this machine connected to your network?

RE: Minimserve and Naim App - flemingcool - 13-02-2016 19:56

My apologies.

It was 192.168.0.0 I tried it after reading an older thread on here.

I'm running MinimServer on iMac. BT HomeHub5 with a Netgear GS105E switch (all ethernet apart from iPhone/iPad for the App). Mac goes into homehub, then from there to switch, to Naim. Sometimes MinimServer will appear in the Naim app, then a minute later it has gone. If there is music playing, it will carry on to the end of the album, but obviously fails if I try and select another track. Computer is set not to sleep - and I can be using the computer but MinimServer is still not visible in the Naim app.

RE: MinimServer and Naim App - simoncn - 13-02-2016 21:20

(13-02-2016 19:56)flemingcool Wrote:  My apologies.

This is a valid subnet but (from the error) is probably not the correct subnet for your network.

Quote:I'm running MinimServer on iMac. BT HomeHub5 with a Netgear GS105E switch (all ethernet apart from iPhone/iPad for the App). Mac goes into homehub, then from there to switch, to Naim. Sometimes MinimServer will appear in the Naim app, then a minute later it has gone. If there is music playing, it will carry on to the end of the album, but obviously fails if I try and select another track. Computer is set not to sleep - and I can be using the computer but MinimServer is still not visible in the Naim app.

There is a known issue with the Home Hub 5 connecting to iPhone/iPad over a 5 GHz wireless connection (see this post). The workaround is to force the Home Hub 5 to use a 2.4 GHz connection instead.

RE: MinimServer and Naim App - Peter StreamMagic - 13-02-2016 22:47

(13-02-2016 21:20)simoncn Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 19:56)flemingcool Wrote:  My apologies.

This is a valid subnet but (from the error) is probably not the correct subnet for your network.

Quote:I'm running MinimServer on iMac. BT HomeHub5 with a Netgear GS105E switch (all ethernet apart from iPhone/iPad for the App). Mac goes into homehub, then from there to switch, to Naim. Sometimes MinimServer will appear in the Naim app, then a minute later it has gone. If there is music playing, it will carry on to the end of the album, but obviously fails if I try and select another track. Computer is set not to sleep - and I can be using the computer but MinimServer is still not visible in the Naim app.

There is a known issue with the Home Hub 5 connecting to iPhone/iPad over a 5 GHz wireless connection (see this post). The workaround is to force the Home Hub 5 to use a 2.4 GHz connection instead.

The Netgear GS105 E is a manageble switch, you should disable IGMP snooping.

RE: MinimServer and Naim App - flemingcool - 14-02-2016 20:26

I've changed the settings on the home hub. I'll monitor it over the next few days and see if that behaves any better.

I have no idea what IGMP snooping is?

RE: MinimServer and Naim App - simoncn - 14-02-2016 22:20

(14-02-2016 20:26)flemingcool Wrote:  I've changed the settings on the home hub. I'll monitor it over the next few days and see if that behaves any better.

I have no idea what IGMP snooping is?

IGMP snooping is an optimization in a switch or router that prevents multicast messages from being sent to devices that don't need to receive them. Setting it up correctly requires an advanced knowledge of networking. When it is active but is not set up correctly (a very common situation), it prevents multicast messages from being sent to devices that do need to receive them. This causes UPnP discovery failures. The simplest fix is to disable IGMP snooping on all switches and the router.

RE: MinimServer and Naim App - flemingcool - 20-03-2016 15:23

So, a definite improvement by separating out 5/2.4GHz on the router, but still there are times when the Naim app won't find Minimserver.

I looked into changing the settings on the Netgear switch, but can only find a Windows application on their website - I don't have a Windows computer, so I'm a bit stuck for now!

RE: MinimServer and Naim App - Peter StreamMagic - 22-03-2016 21:32

(20-03-2016 15:23)flemingcool Wrote:  So, a definite improvement by separating out 5/2.4GHz on the router, but still there are times when the Naim app won't find Minimserver.

I looked into changing the settings on the Netgear switch, but can only find a Windows application on their website - I don't have a Windows computer, so I'm a bit stuck for now!

It seems to be possible to install Windows in Virtual Box on your Mac
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/pro-tip-how-to-install-windows-10-technical-preview-in-virtualbox/ and then configure your switch.
(Found this on the web,someone had the same problem with Netgear,no idea if it is easy to do).
Your switch has IGMP snooping enabled in factory settings that's for sure.
Can you leave out the switch for a while to see if this improves things?
[attachment=1120]

RE: MinimServer and Naim App - flemingcool - 20-08-2016 16:16

Update to this. Having basically given up on resolving the issue, I stumbles across a thread on a BT support forum about issues with HH5 supporting upnp and ivp6? BT have sent me a new Home Hub 6, which has immediately resolved my issues. Minimserver available at all times now via my iPad.

Thanks for the help.