MinimServer Forum
Transcoding AIFF to... - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: MinimStreamer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Transcoding AIFF to... (/showthread.php?tid=2381)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Transcoding AIFF to... - paulkwan - 02-05-2015 14:29

(23-04-2015 09:34)simoncn Wrote:  
(23-04-2015 06:07)Patatorz Wrote:  Hello, thanks for your advice but I don't want to change format as I need AIFF to play on my iOS devices.
At this time I use Jriver instead of minimserver as Jriver can transcode AIFF to Wave natively. I don't know if it is a limitation of minimserver or just not done because nobody is requesting that.

There have been a couple of requests for this. It is on my list of possible enhancements for a future release of MinimServer.

+1 request. I'm using a renderer support wav only ^^:

Thanks.

RE: Transcoding AIFF to... - DHartwick - 06-09-2015 18:25

(02-05-2015 14:29)paulkwan Wrote:  
(23-04-2015 06:07)Patatorz Wrote:  Hello, thanks for your advice but I don't want to change format as I need AIFF to play on my iOS devices.
At this time I use Jriver instead of minimserver as Jriver can transcode AIFF to Wave natively. I don't know if it is a limitation of minimserver or just not done because nobody is requesting that.

There have been a couple of requests for this. It is on my list of possible enhancements for a future release of MinimServer.

+1 request. I'm using a renderer support wav only ^^:

Thanks.

RE: Transcoding AIFF to... - DHartwick - 06-09-2015 18:28

I, too, need aif playback capability. I have a lot of these files and am not prepared to change them. I've been forced to change file types by other server software in years past and it introduces problems.
Thank you!

RE: Transcoding AIFF to... - simoncn - 06-09-2015 21:15

(06-09-2015 18:28)DHartwick Wrote:  I, too, need aif playback capability. I have a lot of these files and am not prepared to change them. I've been forced to change file types by other server software in years past and it introduces problems.
Thank you!

MinimServer does support AIFF playback. Are you using a renderer that can't handle AIFF files?

RE: Transcoding AIFF to... - Sgr - 10-10-2015 03:47

Hi,
I'd like to try minumstreamer. I use jPlay so want to use the jPlay streamer setup. I'm confused about the Aif question. Are jplay streamer, minum, and Aif files compatible? Right now I'm using jPlay, Windows server 2012, AudiofileOptimizer, Fidelizer, jRiver, jremote. I'd like to get away from jRiver all together. The one thing stopping me is whether minum streamer/server and aif files are compatible.

My files are all Aif except my DSD files. I'd rather not convert them as they are ios compatible and for some reason my USB SPDIF converter plays Aif files better than any other format I've found.

Thanks Simon for a great program. I'll send $$$ if I can use your program as outlined above.

Steven

RE: Transcoding AIFF to... - simoncn - 10-10-2015 09:07

(10-10-2015 03:47)Sgr Wrote:  Hi,
I'd like to try minumstreamer. I use jPlay so want to use the jPlay streamer setup. I'm confused about the Aif question. Are jplay streamer, minum, and Aif files compatible? Right now I'm using jPlay, Windows server 2012, AudiofileOptimizer, Fidelizer, jRiver, jremote. I'd like to get away from jRiver all together. The one thing stopping me is whether minum streamer/server and aif files are compatible.

My files are all Aif except my DSD files. I'd rather not convert them as they are ios compatible and for some reason my USB SPDIF converter plays Aif files better than any other format I've found.

Thanks Simon for a great program. I'll send $$$ if I can use your program as outlined above.

Steven

JPlayStreamer is limited to playing WAV files only. MinimServer and MinimStreamer can transcode a number of formats to WAV but this currently doesn't include AIFF. This means you can't play AIFF files using JPlayStreamer and MinimServer at the present time.

RE: Transcoding AIFF to... - Sgr - 10-10-2015 23:34

Thanks.

RE: Transcoding AIFF to... - Wilts_RM - 04-02-2016 13:32

I'd like to add my name to the list of people requesting AIFF to WAV transcoding in Minimserver. I'm really enjoying Minimserver, but as a Naim user, I'd love to be able to transcode to WAV for delivery to my streamer.

I'd be more than happy to make a donation towards the costs of development.

Thanks for the great work you've already done on Minimserver; it's fantastic!

Best wishes,

Wilts_RM

RE: Transcoding AIFF to... - simoncn - 04-02-2016 16:11

(04-02-2016 13:32)Wilts_RM Wrote:  

I'd like to add my name to the list of people requesting AIFF to WAV transcoding in Minimserver. I'm really enjoying Minimserver, but as a Naim user, I'd love to be able to transcode to WAV for delivery to my streamer.

Best wishes,

Wilts_RM

I am a little puzzled by this because the Naim streamer should be able to play AIFF. Both AIFF and WAV are lossless uncompressed formats and there should be no difference in the sound.

RE: Transcoding AIFF to... - Wilts_RM - 04-02-2016 16:46

(04-02-2016 16:11)simoncn Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 13:32)Wilts_RM Wrote:  

Best wishes,

Wilts_RM

I am a little puzzled by this because the Naim streamer should be able to play AIFF. Both AIFF and WAV are lossless uncompressed formats and there should be no difference in the sound.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the Naim can play the AIFF stream, although Naim do recommend that WAV is used where possible.

I've done quite a lot of listening, and, for reasons I really can't begin to understand or explain, WAV files do sound a touch better with my Naim streamer than AIFF. There's a greater degree of coherence somehow with the WAVs, with the AIFF files sounding a bit edgier. It's subjective I know, and I'm sure there will be others who disagree, but this is just my experience.

As I say, given that WAV and AIFF both carry the same information, i'm at a loss to explain the difference. I'd suggest its just something in the way the Naim streamers work, but at least Naim are upfront about it I suppose.

I'm really enjoying the better organisation and tagging that Minimserver provides, and I really like the I can list an artist's albums chronologically. AIFF to WAV transcoding would be the icing on the cake.

Thanks again for replying. I really appreciate all the work that goes in to creating this wonderful software.

Best wishes,

Wilts_RM