MinimServer Forum
Creating Playlists - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Creating Playlists (/showthread.php?tid=2224)

Pages: 1 2 3

Creating Playlists - Nothung - 28-02-2015 12:50

I hope this basic question about playlists hasn't been covered on the forum but I've searched and can't find an answer.

I am using a Synology NAS and iMac to run MinimServer and I want to be able to create some playlists. I can create an m3u playlist on my mac by dragging and dropping tracks from my music folders on the NAS into VLC which makes the playlist.

Unfortunately, VLC makes the track path /Volumes/music.... rather than /volume1/music.. I can change this in TextEdit and it works fine with MinimServer but it isn't efficient to do this manually for long playlists.

I haven't found another playlist creator that works on a mac so I wonder if there is a way to get VLC to recognise the correct path or to do batch editing in MinimServer.

RE: Creating Playlists - simoncn - 28-02-2015 13:12

(28-02-2015 12:50)Nothung Wrote:  I hope this basic question about playlists hasn't been covered on the forum but I've searched and can't find an answer.

I am using a Synology NAS and iMac to run MinimServer and I want to be able to create some playlists. I can create an m3u playlist on my mac by dragging and dropping tracks from my music folders on the NAS into VLC which makes the playlist.

Unfortunately, VLC makes the track path /Volumes/music.... rather than /volume1/music.. I can change this in TextEdit and it works fine with MinimServer but it isn't efficient to do this manually for long playlists.

I haven't found another playlist creator that works on a mac so I wonder if there is a way to get VLC to recognise the correct path or to do batch editing in MinimServer.

I suggest you try oddgravity Playlist Creator. This can create relative playlists, which is what you need.

Edit: This appears to be for Windows only, unfortunately.

RE: Creating Playlists - Nothung - 28-02-2015 13:16

Thank you Simon, I do have an old Windows laptop which I could if I can figure out the networking to the NAS.

RE: Creating Playlists - antonmb - 28-02-2015 17:15

You can also use Synology's Audio Station web app. It's a little clunky but will create a shared playlist that will be stored in the playlist is folder on your NAS and recognized by minimserver.

RE: Creating Playlists - Nothung - 10-02-2016 15:19

Many thanks antonmb, I returned to the thread recently as I needed to create some new playlists and saw your post. Your suggestion of using Audio Station worked fine, I'm only sorry I didn't see and acknowledge it earlier.

RE: Creating Playlists - Meffy - 10-02-2016 23:29

(28-02-2015 13:12)simoncn Wrote:  
(28-02-2015 12:50)Nothung Wrote:  I hope this basic question about playlists hasn't been covered on the forum but I've searched and can't find an answer.

I suggest you try oddgravity Playlist Creator. This can create relative playlists, which is what you need.

Edit: This appears to be for Windows only, unfortunately.

Hi Simon, took the oportunity and downloaded and installed oddgravity Playlist Creator to make it easier for me as well to create playlists instead of going the longer way with synology audio player, but after i created a playlist with "playlist creator" and moved that playlist into synology folder (there i have all my other playlists created with synology audio player) i can not see the contents of that playlist.Not in synology nor with minimserver library when i browse on bubbleupnp. How does this program works? I can see that playlist i created but when i tab to play it then it shows empty, no contents. Can you shed some light of how to make minimserver to see the contents?
Thanks.
Regards Meffy!

PS. I save the playlist as m3u. Even renamed it to m3u8!

RE: Creating Playlists - simoncn - 11-02-2016 23:07

(10-02-2016 23:29)Meffy Wrote:  Hi Simon, took the oportunity and downloaded and installed oddgravity Playlist Creator to make it easier for me as well to create playlists instead of going the longer way with synology audio player, but after i created a playlist with "playlist creator" and moved that playlist into synology folder (there i have all my other playlists created with synology audio player) i can not see the contents of that playlist.Not in synology nor with minimserver library when i browse on bubbleupnp. How does this program works? I can see that playlist i created but when i tab to play it then it shows empty, no contents. Can you shed some light of how to make minimserver to see the contents?
Thanks.
Regards Meffy!

You need to set the Playlist Creator options to use forward slashes and relative paths. You also need to keep the playlist in the same folder that it was written into by Playlist Creator when you created the playlist.

RE: Creating Playlists - Meffy - 12-02-2016 00:05

(11-02-2016 23:07)simoncn Wrote:  
(10-02-2016 23:29)Meffy Wrote:  Hi Simon, took the oportunity and downloaded and installed oddgravity Playlist Creator to make it easier for me as well to create playlists instead of going the longer way with synology audio player, but after i created a playlist with "playlist creator" and moved that playlist into synology folder (there i have all my other playlists created with synology audio player) i can not see the contents of that playlist.Not in synology nor with minimserver library when i browse on bubbleupnp. How does this program works? I can see that playlist i created but when i tab to play it then it shows empty, no contents. Can you shed some light of how to make minimserver to see the contents?
Thanks.
Regards Meffy!

You need to set the Playlist Creator options to use forward slashes and relative paths. You also need to keep the playlist in the same folder that it was written into by Playlist Creator when you created the playlist.

Thank you for your reply Simon, it worked in one way, created a playlist from one folder"Va-Love songs" and placed that playlist in the same forlder.Worked. But how about if i create a playlist like drag and drop songs in the playlist creator from different folders then where do i keep the new playlist i just created. Mind you i have a dedicated folder where i have all my playlists which minimserver can read AND synology media server can read, (created by synology audio player), If i move the playlist just created with playlist creator and put it in my dedicated playlist folder then the contents don't show up.Only the name of the playlist. Can you enlighten me?
Thanks.
Meffy

RE: Creating Playlists - Meffy - 12-02-2016 00:26

(12-02-2016 00:05)Meffy Wrote:  
(11-02-2016 23:07)simoncn Wrote:  
Thanks.
Regards Meffy!

Thank you for your reply Simon, it worked in one way, created a playlist from one folder"Va-Love songs" and placed that playlist in the same forlder.Worked. But how about if i create a playlist like drag and drop songs in the playlist creator from different folders then where do i keep the new playlist i just created. Mind you i have a dedicated folder where i have all my playlists which minimserver can read AND synology media server can read, (created by synology audio player), If i move the playlist just created with playlist creator and put it in my dedicated playlist folder then the contents don't show up.Only the name of the playlist. Can you enlighten me?
Thanks.
Meffy

Never mind Simon. I figured it out.Sorry.After i created a playlist from different folders so pointed the playlist createor to save it in the same folder where i have all my other playlists (folder name=Playlists) and it works. Thanks!

RE: Creating Playlists - Jack C - 30-03-2023 23:27

Hello,
I am experience similar problems with playlists as described elsewhere in this forum. and would appreciate learning exactly how one can properly configure an m3u file that contains media files from multiple folders using Minim. I have over 1200 playlists that have been created over quite some number of years.
The only playlists that can be played now are playlists that are located in the same folder as the music files (typically album folders). These m3u files contain only a path for Album and song title. When trying to playback any existing m3u files with full path info, I get a dialog box saying "No items found".
The playlists and music files reside on a Sonic Transport i5 linux based Music Server. Minim is one of a choice of servers pre-insalled on the I5. The client is a new Denon AVR running HEOS. The Denon/HEOS has been able to connect and properly handle playlist files from several different server sources with no issue. This problem seems specific to the MinimServer (I have installed the Full version for the trial period allotted.)
For reference, I have a desktop PC with Media Monkey 4 installed. MM4 also has a media server built in. The Denon/HEOS system will recognize and connect to this server immediately and will play anything you throw at it, including playlists with files from different folders, FLAC, WAV, mp3, whatever. So it does exactly what you would expect a server to do. I also use the Squeezebox server that was pre-installed on the i5, and that works perfectly. Unfortunaly that server only works in the Squeezebox world (i have four Squeezebox players) and is no help here, but it works on the same i5 as the Minim server.
I know there are differences between a Windows based server and a linux based server, and I am no expert (not even close!) in resolving issues like this. I'm not even sure about things like which way slashes should go when defining a device, location and content.

Can anyone help with this? Playlists are a major source of enjoyment for many, including me. Right now the ability to use playlists is extremely limited, to the extent that Minim is marginally useful.

Thanks !

Jack