MinimServer Forum
Composer shown as Artist - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Music Tagging (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Composer shown as Artist (/showthread.php?tid=1827)

Composer shown as Artist - swdick - 13-09-2014 18:47

Hi, I'm new to Minimserver and finding my way slowly. So far I am very happy with it.

I'm using a Synology NAS, Linn DM and Kinsky and listen maninly to classical music (that's why I came to MinimServer). My question is why in some instances an Album (or Group) shows the artist and in other cases the Composer. I find this very annoying because in classical music the selection process goes from composer to work to artist. So when I have chosen the first two I'm not interested in the composer but in the artist (which is not shown in Kinsky).

From another post I learned the following:
"In the grouped view, Kinsky displays only one item of information for each track. This displayed item will be the artist unless all artists for all tracks of the album are identical. If all artists for all tracks of the album are identical, the displayed item will be the composer if available."
I have tested this but in both cases mentioned above there was only one artist (I have used a seperate Album for each compostion). Yet for some albums it showed the Artist, in other the Composer.
What can cause this?

RE: Composer shown as Artist - simoncn - 13-09-2014 21:48

(13-09-2014 18:47)swdick Wrote:  Hi, I'm new to Minimserver and finding my way slowly. So far I am very happy with it.

I'm using a Synology NAS, Linn DM and Kinsky and listen maninly to classical music (that's why I came to MinimServer). My question is why in some instances an Album (or Group) shows the artist and in other cases the Composer. I find this very annoying because in classical music the selection process goes from composer to work to artist. So when I have chosen the first two I'm not interested in the composer but in the artist (which is not shown in Kinsky).

From another post I learned the following:
"In the grouped view, Kinsky displays only one item of information for each track. This displayed item will be the artist unless all artists for all tracks of the album are identical. If all artists for all tracks of the album are identical, the displayed item will be the composer if available."
I have tested this but in both cases mentioned above there was only one artist (I have used a seperate Album for each compostion). Yet for some albums it showed the Artist, in other the Composer.
What can cause this?

Which platform are you using to run Kinsky?

Can you post some screenshots to illustrate this problem for one specific album? From your description, I'm not sure whether the problem is related to Kinsky or MinimServer.

RE: Composer shown as Artist - swdick - 14-09-2014 08:36

Hi,

Thanks for answering. I'm workin on a W7 PC.

I have to make corrections: the works that show composer are grouped, the others not (see attachments that show the difference for 2 cases of Schubert's Impromputs, D899). So I guess this corresponds to your earlier answer (see my first post).
Can this be changed?

[attachment=566][attachment=567][attachment=568][attachment=569]

RE: Composer shown as Artist - simoncn - 14-09-2014 17:32

(14-09-2014 08:36)swdick Wrote:  Hi,

Thanks for answering. I'm workin on a W7 PC.

I have to make corrections: the works that show composer are grouped, the others not (see attachments that show the difference for 2 cases of Schubert's Impromputs, D899). So I guess this corresponds to your earlier answer (see my first post).
Can this be changed?

This isn't caused by grouping. It's caused by having an incorrect Album Artist tag for the work that shows the composer.

RE: Composer shown as Artist - swdick - 14-09-2014 20:32

You Are sharp! Thanks a lot.