MinimServer Forum
Laptop Renderer? - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Laptop Renderer? (/showthread.php?tid=1520)

Pages: 1 2 3

Laptop Renderer? - gnomus - 24-05-2014 10:05

I'm nearly finished ripping my music library - 2-3 days to go at most. I'm turning my mind to what I can do with it. I know that if I create another library - converted to MP3 files - and put it on a portable hard disc, I will be able to have access to it in my car. (I've already tested this.)

This got me thinking that I could take that same 'portable' library with me when I go on holiday. Since I also always take my laptop, I wondered if there was a way of accessing the Library on my laptop via Kinsky and MinimServer, and playing music on the PC. Sound straight through the PC is of course awful, but many hotels have 'Entertainment' systems into which I could plug the laptop and obtain semi-reasonable sound.

On my laptop, however, the only options that Kinsky ever allows me for "Rooms" are my Linn DS and my Sonos box. Is there a Renderer that I can use on my PC. Am I missing something obvious? Yes, I can use Windows Media Player but I would much prefer the Kinsky interface (or similar).

RE: Laptop Renderer? - simoncn - 24-05-2014 10:11

(24-05-2014 10:05)gnomus Wrote:  I'm nearly finished ripping my music library - 2-3 days to go at most. I'm turning my mind to what I can do with it. I know that if I create another library - converted to MP3 files - and put it on a portable hard disc, I will be able to have access to it in my car. (I've already tested this.)

This got me thinking that I could take that same 'portable' library with me when I go on holiday. Since I also always take my laptop, I wondered if there was a way of accessing the Library on my laptop via Kinsky and MinimServer, and playing music on the PC. Sound straight through the PC is of course awful, but many hotels have 'Entertainment' systems into which I could plug the laptop and obtain semi-reasonable sound.

On my laptop, however, the only options that Kinsky ever allows me for "Rooms" are my Linn DS and my Sonos box. Is there a Renderer that I can use on my PC. Am I missing something obvious? Yes, I can use Windows Media Player but I would much prefer the Kinsky interface (or similar).

You should be able to use dBpoweramp Renaissance for this. See this post for a description and download link.

RE: Laptop Renderer? - gnomus - 24-05-2014 11:01

(24-05-2014 10:11)simoncn Wrote:  ...You should be able to use dBpoweramp Renaissance for this. See this post for a description and download link.

Thanks for the near-instant reply! I installed Renaissance. I can now see the computer in Kinsky. However, trying to play anything just leads to the spinning white lines in the Track Control section of Kinsky.

I've tried various set ups in the Renaissance Config and I've had a look at the dBPoweramp Renaissance forum page. I don't seem to be getting anywhere. Any thoughts?

RE: Laptop Renderer? - simoncn - 24-05-2014 11:16

(24-05-2014 11:01)gnomus Wrote:  
(24-05-2014 10:11)simoncn Wrote:  ...You should be able to use dBpoweramp Renaissance for this. See this post for a description and download link.

Thanks for the near-instant reply! I installed Renaissance. I can now see the computer in Kinsky. However, trying to play anything just leads to the spinning white lines in the Track Control section of Kinsky.

I've tried various set ups in the Renaissance Config and I've had a look at the dBPoweramp Renaissance forum page. I don't seem to be getting anywhere. Any thoughts?

The default room name for Renaissance is 'Main'. Do you have this room selected in Kinsky?

Are you using Kinsky Windows?

There's a selector below the volume control in the Kinsky window to switch sources. Which source do you have selected?

This might possibly be a firewall issue. You could try disabling the firewall to see if that helps.

RE: Laptop Renderer? - gnomus - 24-05-2014 11:28

(24-05-2014 11:16)simoncn Wrote:  The default room name for Renaissance is 'Main'. Do you have this room selected in Kinsky?

I changed it to "Computer" (so as not to get confused with my Sonos also called 'Main')- Yes I have this selected (It didn't work when it was called 'Main' either.)
(24-05-2014 11:16)simoncn Wrote:  Are you using Kinsky Windows?

Yes
(24-05-2014 11:16)simoncn Wrote:  There's a selector below the volume control in the Kinsky window to switch sources. Which source do you have selected?

I have 'Computer' selected and 'dBpoweramp' as the source.

(24-05-2014 11:16)simoncn Wrote:  This might possibly be a firewall issue. You could try disabling the firewall to see if that helps.

It still won't play with the firewall turned off.

RE: Laptop Renderer? - gnomus - 24-05-2014 11:43

Update:

Ongoing odd behaviour. I tried a few different tracks. I got a burst of one Beethoven track - it then switched off again.

I seem able to get tracks of up to 5 minutes (16 Bit) to play. A 7 minute track would not. A 24-Bit, 3.5 minute track would not play either.

RE: Laptop Renderer? - simoncn - 24-05-2014 16:28

(24-05-2014 11:43)gnomus Wrote:  Update:

Ongoing odd behaviour. I tried a few different tracks. I got a burst of one Beethoven track - it then switched off again.

I seem able to get tracks of up to 5 minutes (16 Bit) to play. A 7 minute track would not. A 24-Bit, 3.5 minute track would not play either.

I've never seen anything lke this. Are things any better if you change the source to Playlist?

RE: Laptop Renderer? - gnomus - 24-05-2014 17:56

(24-05-2014 16:28)simoncn Wrote:  
(24-05-2014 11:43)gnomus Wrote:  Update:

I've never seen anything lke this. Are things any better if you change the source to Playlist?

It doesn't seem to make any difference.

RE: Laptop Renderer? - simoncn - 24-05-2014 18:08

(24-05-2014 17:56)gnomus Wrote:  It doesn't seem to make any difference.

Can you run a MinimServer trace for a track that doesn't play? This might provide more information. Please do the following:

1) Browse to the track you want to play
2) In the MinimServer log window, set the logging level to Trace
3) Leave the log window open
4) Attempt to play the track
5) After 15 seconds, click 'Save as' in the log window to save the log file
6) In the MinimServer log window, set the logging level back to Info
7) Zip the saved log file and attach it to a post here

RE: Laptop Renderer? - gnomus - 24-05-2014 18:31

(24-05-2014 18:08)simoncn Wrote:  
(24-05-2014 17:56)gnomus Wrote:  It doesn't seem to make any difference.

Can you run a MinimServer trace for a track that doesn't play? This might provide more information. Please do the following:

1) Browse to the track you want to play
2) In the MinimServer log window, set the logging level to Trace
3) Leave the log window open
4) Attempt to play the track
5) After 15 seconds, click 'Save as' in the log window to save the log file
6) In the MinimServer log window, set the logging level back to Info
7) Zip the saved log file and attach it to a post here

I'm happy to do that. I have just started backing up the library to an external hard disk. Will that make any difference to the test? If not, I'll go do it now.