MinimServer Forum
Tagging classical music - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Music Tagging (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Tagging classical music (/showthread.php?tid=11)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Tagging classical music - simoncn - 06-05-2014 11:29

(06-05-2014 09:25)AllThatJazz Wrote:  Thanks for your swift reply, Simon.

So, would it be sufficient to put the orchestra in the Artist and AlbumArtist fields? Or should I also include the conductor in those fields as well?

You don't need to set both these fields for album matching to work.

If all the tracks in the album have the same artist information, you should set Artist. If all the tracks in the album don't have the same artist information, you should set AlbumArtist.

The purpose of setting either of these fields is to ensure that multiple albums with the same title and spread across different folders don't get confused with each other. If it's likely that you might ever have multiple albums with the same title and the same orchestra that are spread across different folders, you should include the conductor as well.

To complete this picture, if you have multiple albums with the same title and the same orchestra and the same conductor that are spread across different folders (unlikely but possible), you would need to give them a slightly different album title to make album matching work correctly.

RE: Tagging classical music - AllThatJazz - 06-05-2014 12:13

OK, I finally understand the respective purposes of those tags. Many thanks for the clarification. Glad I asked before commencing this project.

I suppose this confusion of albums is a real issue with symphonies conducted by prolific conductors.

RE: Tagging classical music - simoncn - 06-05-2014 12:32

(06-05-2014 12:13)AllThatJazz Wrote:  OK, I finally understand the respective purposes of those tags. Many thanks for the clarification. Glad I asked before commencing this project.

I suppose this confusion of albums is a real issue with symphonies conducted by prolific conductors.

Some servers assume that everything with the same album title belongs to the same album. This is likely to cause problems if the album title is something like Beethoven Symphony No. 9. This is why MinimServer uses artist information as part of the album matching process. If you include both conductor and orchestra in the artist information, it's unlikely that you'll have album matching problems, but it could happen occasionally.

RE: Tagging classical music - gnomus - 08-05-2014 08:58

Tagging Issue:

I thought I'd post in this thread rather than starting a new one. I cannot work out how to achieve a tagging objective:

Wagner's Ring conists of 4 operas, three of which consist of three Acts. The operas, in order, are: Das Rheingold; Die Walkure, Siegfried; and Gotterdammerung.

I have several versions of it on CD. ('.m too embarassed to say how many!) I would like to achieve the following:

1) In my CP, under Composers, I would like to see a list of "Compositions", one of which is "Der Ring des Nibelungen".
(I have been able to achieve this)

2) When I click into the "Der Ring des Nibelungen" album (?container), I want to see a list of Albums. Within Albums I want a list of each single version of the Ring that I have ripped. For example, I want one entry for "Ring; [Solti - Vienna -1958-65]" and one entry for "Ring; [Barenboim - Bayreuth -1991-92]".

It's only when I click on one of these Albums that I want to see the individual operas making up each Ring - Rheingold, Walkure and so on.

I have ripped each Ring into a separate folder on my NAS. Within that folder, I have another folder for each of the four parts of each Ring (Rheingold, Walkure ...). I have tagged all 4 parts of the Solti Ring as belonging to the "Album" - "Ring; [Solti - Vienna -1958-65]". I have done likewise for the Barenboim Ring. Both the Solti and Barenboim Rings have been tagged as "Composition" - "Der Ring des Nibelungen"

I thought that this would work, but what happens is that when I open the "Albums" container in my CP I see four entries for each of the four parts of the Solti Ring.

I am not sure why this is. Is there something obvious that I am doing wrong? Is there a better way of achieving what I want to achieve.

[EDIT:]

I should add that I have used "Groups" to tag the individual operas - so I have a "Rheingold" Group; a "Walkure - Act I" Group, and so on.

RE: Tagging classical music - simoncn - 08-05-2014 09:23

(08-05-2014 08:58)gnomus Wrote:  I thought that this would work, but what happens is that when I open the "Albums" container in my CP I see four entries for each of the four parts of the Solti Ring.

I am not sure why this is. Is there something obvious that I am doing wrong? Is there a better way of achieving what I want to achieve.

I should add that I have used "Groups" to tag the individual operas - so I have a "Rheingold" Group; a "Walkure - Act I" Group, and so on.

The tagging approach you are using should do what you want. Which control point are you using? Can you post a screenshot showing the Albums container with the Groups that are incorrectly listed there?

RE: Tagging classical music - gnomus - 08-05-2014 15:11

(08-05-2014 09:23)simoncn Wrote:  
(08-05-2014 08:58)gnomus Wrote:  I thought that this would work, but what happens is that when I open the "Albums" container in my CP I see four entries for each of the four parts of the Solti Ring.

The tagging approach you are using should do what you want. Which control point are you using? Can you post a screenshot showing the Albums container with the Groups that are incorrectly listed there?

Yes - I can get a screenshot from Kinsky. Here it is:

RE: Tagging classical music - simoncn - 08-05-2014 16:42

(08-05-2014 15:11)gnomus Wrote:  Yes - I can get a screenshot from Kinsky. Here it is:

Thanks. This is helpful, as I had assumed from your earlier post that you were seeing the Group names in the Albums container.

By default, MinimServer doesn't merge albums from different folders unless they are multidisc albums. You have two options:

1) Use the multidisc approach, tagging the first opera as Disc 1, the second as Disc 2, etc. You can do this by adding [Disc n] to the end of the album title or by adding Discnumber tags to the tracks. It would also be a good idea to add Discsubtitle tags for the names of the operas.

2) Use the mergeFolderAlbums property to force albums in different folders to be merged. This is a global setting.

My advice is to try 1) first. If you haven't yet encountered MinimServer's multidisc container view, it's worth trying this to see how you like it. It shows the contents of all the discs in a single list, with dividers between them. You can use the dividers to select individual discs for playing.

Edit: Another advantage of the multidisc approach is that each disc can contain groups. This allows you to use a group for each opera act, with a containment hierarchy of Album / Disc / Group / Track.

RE: Tagging classical music - gnomus - 08-05-2014 18:21

(08-05-2014 16:42)simoncn Wrote:  
(08-05-2014 15:11)gnomus Wrote:  Yes - I can get a screenshot from Kinsky. Here it is:

Thanks. This is helpful, as I had assumed from your earlier post that you were seeing the Group names in the Albums container.

By default, MinimServer doesn't merge albums from different folders unless they are multidisc albums. You have two options:

1) Use the multidisc approach, tagging the first opera as Disc 1, the second as Disc 2, etc. You can do this by adding [Disc n] to the end of the album title or by adding Discnumber tags to the tracks. It would also be a good idea to add Discsubtitle tags for the names of the operas.

2) Use the mergeFolderAlbums property to force albums in different folders to be merged. This is a global setting.

My advice is to try 1) first. If you haven't yet encountered MinimServer's multidisc container view, it's worth trying this to see how you like it. It shows the contents of all the discs in a single list, with dividers between them. You can use the dividers to select individual discs for playing.

Edit: Another advantage of the multidisc approach is that each disc can contain groups. This allows you to use a group for each opera act, with a containment hierarchy of Album / Disc / Group / Track.

Simon

Thanks again. That has sorted things out nicely (and quickly). (There was a minor screw-up when I ended up with all the Operas having 2 "DiscNumbers", but I was able to work that one out for myself).

I attach a Kinsky screenshot of what I have now for the Solti Ring.

A couple of questions:

Is it possible to choose a different piece for Art for the Overall Album view? (The one in the screenshot is the art for Rheingold.)
Is it possible to have the Art for each of the 4 Operas showing in Kinsky? As you can see, at present I only have the text.

Thanks again.

RE: Tagging classical music - simoncn - 08-05-2014 18:59

(08-05-2014 18:21)gnomus Wrote:  Is it possible to choose a different piece for Art for the Overall Album view? (The one in the screenshot is the art for Rheingold.)
Is it possible to have the Art for each of the 4 Operas showing in Kinsky? As you can see, at present I only have the text.

Because of the way MinimServer implements its multidisc view (which is imposed by UPnP constraints) and also the way Kinsky implements album grouping, it isn't possible to attach art images to individual discs, groups or tracks when the combined "album" is viewed in the Kinsky browse tree.

There is a possibility available in UPnP for sending custom images for individual tracks or groups that could potentially be displayed in the control point playlist and/or Now Playing screen. MinimServer currently doesn't attempt to do this, but chooses a single image to use for the whole album as described in this section. As you will see from this section (the second point 1), MinimServer is getting the Rheingold art for the combined album from the first track of the first disc.

If you want a different album art image for each opera, you will need to tag the operas as separate albums.

RE: Tagging classical music - simoncn - 08-05-2014 19:01

(08-05-2014 16:42)simoncn Wrote:  By default, MinimServer doesn't merge albums from different folders unless they are multidisc albums. You have two options:

To complete this picture, there is another option:

3) Add the suffix [part] to the names of the folders containing the files you want to be merged.