MinimServer Forum
Tagging classical music - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Music Tagging (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Tagging classical music (/showthread.php?tid=11)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Tagging classical music - gnomus - 27-04-2014 22:27

(27-04-2014 21:38)simoncn Wrote:  WD Red is a good HDD. There are 3TB and 4TB versions. For a USB 3 caddy, I use an Icy Dock. It probably isn't the fastest, but it seems reliable.

For the avoidance of doubt you mean something like this and one or more of these? (I put two of these in my Synlogy.)

Sorry to be a pain, but I'd never heard of a "caddy" before.

RE: Tagging classical music - simoncn - 27-04-2014 23:22

(27-04-2014 22:27)gnomus Wrote:  For the avoidance of doubt you mean something like this and one or more of these? (I put two of these in my Synlogy.)

Sorry to be a pain, but I'd never heard of a "caddy" before.

This is the exact model that I have. I'm not sure whether Icy Dock and Icy Box are related companies. This type of device is fairly commonly referred to as a "caddy" but perhaps this isn't the correct technical term.

For backup purposes, I don't see any need for more than a single disk slot.

RE: Tagging classical music - Alpina_Lux - 28-04-2014 15:41

(27-04-2014 21:38)simoncn Wrote:  
(27-04-2014 21:05)gnomus Wrote:  As someone who does more of this sort of thing than I do, would you have any recommendations as to make/model? I'd need ~3TB. Reliability is key even if that means a bit more dough.

WD Red is a good HDD. There are 3TB and 4TB versions.
The WD Red does not (yet?) exist in 4TB, maximum size is 3TB right now. This is also what I use in my Synology NAS.

RE: Tagging classical music - simoncn - 28-04-2014 15:45

(28-04-2014 15:41)Alpina_Lux Wrote:  The WD Red does not (yet?) exist in 4TB, maximum size is 3TB right now. This is also what I use in my Synology NAS.

According to this page, the 4TB model was first available on 3 Sep 2013.

RE: Tagging classical music - gnomus - 28-04-2014 15:49

(27-04-2014 23:22)simoncn Wrote:  This is the exact model that I have. I'm not sure whether Icy Dock and Icy Box are related companies. This type of device is fairly commonly referred to as a "caddy" but perhaps this isn't the correct technical term.

Thanks again Simon. They should be with me tomorrow and I can start to relax. At the risk of sounding daft, do I just copy and paste my entire "Music" folder, or is there some better way of ensuring that I get an Accurate backup?

RE: Tagging classical music - Alpina_Lux - 28-04-2014 15:51

(27-04-2014 18:42)simoncn Wrote:  
(27-04-2014 18:10)bbrip Wrote:  Thats certainly one way to do it but it would confuse me. I prefer to see each Sonata separately (ie. Album = Sonata). It gives me the big advantage to see all performances of a certain sonata by different artists next to each other. Or I search by artist (ie Andras Schiff) and I get all albums (= Sonatas) recorded by him neatly showing up underneath each other.

You can do this by tagging each sonata as a Composition as well as a Group. This allows you to search by Composer and then by Composition (and Artist if you want) to get this exact display.
In my opinion that is an excellent suggestion (also to tag the artist / pianist in that case). That will allow you for example to compare Nelson Freire's Waldstein sonata to Maurizio Pollini's, to name just one example. I find these comparisons very interesting, in particular if you play these works yourself. And that would be for me one of the best added values of a digitised music library - to do that without having to rummage through tons of CDs (and you usually find the one you're looking for just when the wife calls you to dinner!).

RE: Tagging classical music - Alpina_Lux - 28-04-2014 15:54

(28-04-2014 15:45)simoncn Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 15:41)Alpina_Lux Wrote:  The WD Red does not (yet?) exist in 4TB, maximum size is 3TB right now. This is also what I use in my Synology NAS.

According to this page, the 4TB model was first available on 3 Sep 2013.

I've seen that - but for whatever reason the 4TB version is not sold on the German Amazon website [EDIT: I've just done a research and it IS sold, but without any user reviews and at a price that I consider to be prohibitive]; and the UK users report repeatedly that the 4TB version has a problem with excessive load cycle counts when used in a raid array (as opposed to the smaller HDs which do not seem affected by this). Which is why I believe the 3TB currently is the best (= safest) option.

RE: Tagging classical music - gnomus - 28-04-2014 16:18

(27-04-2014 18:42)simoncn Wrote:  ...You can do this by tagging each sonata as a Composition as well as a Group. This allows you to search by Composer and then by Composition (and Artist if you want) to get this exact display...

The "Composition" tag works really well. A couple of pointers, however:

1) If there are a large number of pieces (the 32 Beethoven Piano Sonatas being a good example), remember to start by using 'Piano Sonata No. 01' and not 'Piano Sonata No. 1'. I found this out the hard way (of course) and had to re-tag all my early Sonatas and String Quartets.
2) Best to stick with a short and simple name for the Composition - 'Piano Sonata No. 15', is probably better than 'Piano Sonata No. 15 (Pastorale)', lest one use different spellings eg 'Pastoral' (no 'e' at the end). Again I found out the hard way. Mondschein and Moonlight could be another source of confusion.

I hope that all of my many mistakes are offering some light relief if nothing else!

RE: Tagging classical music - simoncn - 28-04-2014 16:21

(28-04-2014 15:49)gnomus Wrote:  Thanks again Simon. They should be with me tomorrow and I can start to relax. At the risk of sounding daft, do I just copy and paste my entire "Music" folder, or is there some better way of ensuring that I get an Accurate backup?

That should work. It should be quickest to do the copy and paste in the Synology File Station with the USB HDD plugged into the Synology. This avoids copying the data across the network.

It's also advisable to keep a cycle of backups (ideally on different HDDs) so that doing the next backup doesn't overwrite the current one. This means if disaster strikes while you're doing the next backup, you still have the previous backup available.

RE: Tagging classical music - simoncn - 28-04-2014 16:23

(28-04-2014 16:18)gnomus Wrote:  1) If there are a large number of pieces (the 32 Beethoven Piano Sonatas being a good example), remember to start by using 'Piano Sonata No. 01' and not 'Piano Sonata No. 1'. I found this out the hard way (of course) and had to re-tag all my early Sonatas and String Quartets.

This won't be necessary with MinimServer update 25 (available now). Smile