MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Simplest stand alone setup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
At my cabin, which is in a pretty remote place, I have a Linn Akurate dsm digital streaming device and I do not (as yet) have a network.
I have had to plug in my external hard drive to a laptop, hard wire the laptop to a router, hardwire the router to the DSM and then control the music through Asset on the laptop, which is a bit cumbersome.
I miss the ease of running the system with my IPAD like I do at home.

Can I install Minimserver on a Synology 213Air (which has its own wifi and access point) and the talk to the music collection through my Ipad?

I also saw something about installing Minumserver on a SheevaPlug. Would that, along with an external hard drive with music and a control point like Ipad be all I need? I am not a computer wiz at all.
How difficult is it to get either system set up? And if not what would be the simplest way to hook up the system to control it with my IPAD?

Lastly from my reading it seems that Minimserver is easier and more efficient than Twonky especially for classical music. Can I run a DS system without the Twonky and just use Minimserver?
Thanks
First things first. You very much do have a network - a wired one. What you (apparently) don't have is a wireless network. And that is, or may be, all you need to achieve the required level of convenience.

I am assuming that, when you say you have router, that is in fact what you have (not just a switch). The router not only acts as the 'junction box' for your connections (that's the 'switch' bit), but it also provides a device called a DHCP server, which allocates network addresses to the various devices. I'd guess from what you say of your capabilities that you haven't been allocating network addresses manually, so it is likely that you do indeed have a router.

I also assume that your router does not have wireless networking capability, though that is relatively unusual nowadays. If your router has one or more aerials/antennae, it has wireless capability, which is usually activated by default. Let's assume that that does not apply (otherwise, please could you let us know what model your router is). Your laptop will have a wireless networking capability, unless it is a very old machine.

You can buy a wireless access point (WAP) which plugs into the network and gives it access to any wireless device, including your iPAD. Note that the access point has to connect to the wired network. The Synology device you mention can function as a WAP, though there are cheaper ways of doing the same thing with separate NAS and WAP devices, and the best location for your NAS (ideally in another room from your player) may not be the same as the best location for a WAP (ideally in the living area with line of sight to your iPAD, laptop or whatever).

As a first step, I would be inclined to get a WAP, and leave the laptop with a wired connection to provide the server capability (using MinimServer, for the reasons you give). It can be somewhere in a corner out of the way when doing this, although you should probably adjust the power settings so that, when it is mains connected, the laptop does not go into sleep mode. With the laptop/MinimServer as server and the Akurate as renderer/player, your iPAD/Kinsky then functions as the Control point.

Note that, if the music files on your laptop are all MP3s or another 'lossy' format (not WMA, which MinimServer does not support), you might get away with streaming them though the wireless connection on the laptop, especially if it has a line of sight path to the WAP. There are a lot of variables here, so no guarantees that this will work (there is a reason why your Akurate only has a wired network connection).

With this system in place, you might find it useful to get a relatively inexpensive NAS (a single disk model will do, as you don't need RAID), which should be one of the models supported by MinimServer. I can confirm that the instructions for installing Java then MinimServer on your NAS are easy to follow. Copy the music from your laptop to the music folder on the NAS (if your laptop is a Windows machine, it is easy to use the (free) Microsoft SyncToy to ensure that what is on the NAS is the same as what is on the laptop). Then, for music purposes at least, you can leave the laptop at home and simply use your iPAD to play the music through the Linn.

You can certainly use a Sheevaplug, or even a Raspberry PI, to run MinimServer. If you have to buy a USB hard drive on which to store the music, this approach (which has some advantages for technically literate users) will probably cost nearly as much as buying a single disk NAS, and will involve you in the complexities of configuring and running Linux, and installing Java and MinimServer on a fairly basic platform. Only take this on if you fancy the challenge.

AFAIK, Twonky and MinimServer can coexist on the same device, though it is probably better to disable the one you are not using. On my NAS, MinimServer happily co-exists with the DNLA server I use to stream images and video to my TV; the Kinsky control point sees both servers on its Library page, and I simply select MinimServer to access the music.

Sorry for rather a long reply. I cannot resist adding that, having just bought an Akurate DSM myself, the mind did rather boggle at the thought of your having one in your cabin. I then reflected on the fact that my Linn dealer makes a good business of installing high-end multi-room systems in super yachts, and decided that perhaps it was just my boggle meter that needed re-calibrating.

David
(17-11-2013 19:32)yurkot Wrote: [ -> ]At my cabin, which is in a pretty remote place, I have a Linn Akurate dsm digital streaming device and I do not (as yet) have a network.
I have had to plug in my external hard drive to a laptop, hard wire the laptop to a router, hardwire the router to the DSM and then control the music through Asset on the laptop, which is a bit cumbersome.
I miss the ease of running the system with my IPAD like I do at home.

Can I install Minimserver on a Synology 213Air (which has its own wifi and access point) and the talk to the music collection through my Ipad?

MinimServer will run on the 213air. Your setup can be as simple as having the Akurate DSM wired to the 213air with MinimServer running on the 213air. You can control the music from the iPad by using a UPnP control point such as Kinsky or LUMIN runing on the iPad.

Quote:I also saw something about installing Minumserver on a SheevaPlug. Would that, along with an external hard drive with music and a control point like Ipad be all I need? I am not a computer wiz at all.

The SheevaPlug doesn't support Wi-Fi. Also, it requires some knowledge of Linux to get it set up and running.

Quote:How difficult is it to get either system set up? And if not what would be the simplest way to hook up the system to control it with my IPAD?

The Synology 213air setup would be easier.

Quote:Lastly from my reading it seems that Minimserver is easier and more efficient than Twonky especially for classical music. Can I run a DS system without the Twonky and just use Minimserver?
Thanks

You don't need Twonky if you are running MinimServer and you only want to play music. Twonky can also serve photos and videos, which isn't possible with MinimServer.
Simon and I posted almost simultaneously, and I defer to his greater knowledge in favouring the Synology 213air as a one stop shop for meeting your needs. I'd also underline his advice that you would need to have a wired connection between the Akurate and the Synology (via the router, I'd guess, as the Synology has only one Ethernet port, and you'd probably want to retain the option of a wired connection from your laptop, especially for large data transfers).

It is worth consulting your dealer about hard drives, as some are more suitable than others; alternatively, a bundle deal ought to provide suitable drives. Prices in the UK are in the $450 range for bundles (which mostly seem to feature the WD Red drives).

Unless you are prepared to pay a large premium for SSDs, you will need to find somewhere to place the Synology where you will not hear the hard disk noise when you are listening to music.

David
Gentlemen thank you so much for quick and useful help, David what I meant by no network is no modem and no internet. I wasn't planning on running music from the laptop (cumbersome) my plan was to load the music onto the NAS and then control the system from the Ipad. Off to buy a Synology air, I guess.
Thanks again
PS Simon I am really looking forward to exploring your Minimserver
Pss David re the bogglement, just lucky, I guess (better to be lucky than smart as evidenced by my lack of knowledge on the computing topic)
(18-11-2013 02:04)yurkot Wrote: [ -> ]David what I meant by no network is no modem and no internet. I wasn't planning on running music from the laptop (cumbersome) my plan was to load the music onto the NAS and then control the system from the Ipad.

Understood. No internet connection is not really an issue here, of course. Good luck with the Synology; it looks to be a good piece of kit, and Synology NAS boxes have been given good reports by users on this forum. Not cheap, but also quite a good offer at the price, considering its capabilities.

Quote: I am really looking forward to exploring ... Minimserver

You will enjoy it, I'm sure. The thing is that, despite what must be a massive amount of complexity 'under the hood', MinimServer just works. For that reason, it is very well worth studying the excellent documentation, which not only tells you how to use the full range of options, but also provides useful guidance (especially to those with classical collections) on tuning those options to your needs. You will find that, once you have set a few of those options, the way you access your classical collection in Kinsky will change considerably. If my experience is anything to go by, that change will be rather enjoyable.

Quote:re the bogglement, just lucky, I guess (better to be lucky than smart as evidenced by my lack of knowledge on the computing topic)

In the present context, I feel very fortunate that I discovered MinimServer (and a number of other useful software tools) before I committed to the cost of the Akurate DSM. Having a reliable system which demonstrated the capabilities of the Linn box as soon as it was installed was a pretty good experience.

Never worry about what you think of as your lack of computing knowledge. Not only do you, clearly, already know a fair amount, but there is no such thing as a stupid question.

David
(18-11-2013 17:14)DavidHB Wrote: [ -> ]Never worry about what you think of as your lack of computing knowledge. Not only do you, clearly, already know a fair amount, but there is no such thing as a stupid question.

David

I've heard it said that the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. I hope that all members of this forum will feel comfortable with asking any question, and that all questions asked will get a helpful response.

Simon
Reference URL's