MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Wrong title order in playlist after using Group tag
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dear Simon,

using minimserver's Group feature changes the track order of an album after telling minimserver "Play complete Album". Means, having an album tagged in the following way (Track No, Group, Title):

01 (no group) Title1
02 (Group 1) Title2
03 (Group 1) Title3
04 (no group) Title4
05 (Group 2) Title5
06 (Group 2) Title6
07 (no group) Title7

... and telling "Play complete album" the following playlist is generated by minimserver:

Title1 - ungrouped title
Title4 - ungrouped title
Title7 - ungrouped title
Title2 - 1st title Group1
Title3 - 2nd title Group1
Title5 - 1st title Group2
Title6 - 2nd title Group2

Means, the generated playlist shows ungrouped titles first and grouped titles afterwards. I do not understand why minimserver is doing that, and I would prefer minimserver to keep the original tracklist order of the Album.

Is there any option to change minimservers's behaviour in this regard?
Do you have any plans to fix this behaviour in one of the next Versions?

Best regards,
Peter
(16-11-2013 08:21)ruckmann Wrote: [ -> ]Dear Simon,

using minimserver's Group feature changes the track order of an album after telling minimserver "Play complete Album". Means, having an album tagged in the following way (Track No, Group, Title):

01 (no group) Title1
02 (Group 1) Title2
03 (Group 1) Title3
04 (no group) Title4
05 (Group 2) Title5
06 (Group 2) Title6
07 (no group) Title7

... and telling "Play complete album" the following playlist is generated by minimserver:

Title1 - ungrouped title
Title4 - ungrouped title
Title7 - ungrouped title
Title2 - 1st title Group1
Title3 - 2nd title Group1
Title5 - 1st title Group2
Title6 - 2nd title Group2

Means, the generated playlist shows ungrouped titles first and grouped titles afterwards. I do not understand why minimserver is doing that, and I would prefer minimserver to keep the original tracklist order of the Album.

Is there any option to change minimservers's behaviour in this regard?
Do you have any plans to fix this behaviour in one of the next Versions?

Best regards,
Peter

MinimServer doesn't generate playlists. The "Play complete album" function is part of your control point, not part of MinimServer. This means that the problem is related to your control point. Which control point are you using?
Hi Simon,

thanks a lot for your quick answer.

First of all, may be, my description was not 100% accurate. The phenomena describes appears if tell my control point "Play selected Album".

Yes, you are right. I just checked how this works with 2 different control points. The behaviour described above appears with "Audionet aMM", but not with Bubble UPNP.

However, what I do not understand: How does a control point distinguish between grouped and ungrouped titles? Does it get any information about grouping? My assumption therefore was, that it gets back from the Server a sequence of tracks/titles (including track no.?) and shows and plays tracks/titles in that respective order. My conclusion simply was that
1. minimserver sends the track sequence in an order depending on Group tag Settings
2. Audionet aMM takes the original sequence 1:1without changing the order
3. Bubble UPNP takes the original sequence but rearranges the sequence by ordering tracks/titles according to track numbering

I would appreciate, if you could help me to clarify the situation. B.t.w. I prefer Audionet aMM because it provide best possible support for my Audionet DNA2 which is a great device (integrated streaming Client & amplifier).

Final remark: I am really a fan of minimserver of tell all my audiophil friends interested in classical Music about all the great Options minimserver provides. I do not know any other Server SW offering similiar flexibility and extensibility!

Best regards,
Peter
(16-11-2013 10:26)ruckmann Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Simon,

thanks a lot for your quick answer.

First of all, may my description was not 100% accurate. The phenomena describes appears if tell my control Point "Play selected Album".

Yes, you are right. I just checked it. Behaviour is depending on the control point in use. The behaviour described above appears with "Audionet aMM", but not with Bubble UPNP.

But, what I do not understand: How can the control point distinguish between grouped and ungrouped titles? Does it get any information about grouping? My assumption was that it gets a sequence of tracks/titles (including track no.?) and it shows and plays tracks/titles in that respective order. Therefore, my conclusion was the minimserver sends the track sequence in an order depending on grouping tags. My guess is, that Audionet aMM takes the sequence 1:1 as it is provided by minimserver, but Bubble UPNP rebuilds the sequence according to track numbering before showing and playing it.

I would appreciate, if you could help me to clarify the situation. B.t.w. I prefer Audionet aMM because it provide max Support for my Audionet DNA 2 which is a great device (integrated streaming Client & amplifier).

Best regards,
Peter

The server sends the album contents to the control point as a DIDL-Lite XML stream. For an album without grouped tracks, the structure of the DIDL-Lite stream sent by MinimServer is:

album container A
---- track 1
---- track 2
---- track 3
---- etc.

For an album with grouped tracks, the structure of the DIDL-Lite stream sent by MinimServer is:

album container A
---- track 1
---- album container B
---- track 4
---- album container C
---- track 7
---- etc.

where the DIDL-Lite stream for album container A includes nested album containers B and C. These nested containers represent the groups in album A, and they have the following DIDL-Lite streams:

album container B
---- track 2
---- track 3

album container C
---- track 5
---- track 6

Nesting album containers in this way is valid according to the DIDL-Lite specification, and the control point should handle it correctly. It seems that Audionet aMM is creating a playlist that puts all the tracks from the top-level DIDL-Lite stream first, followed by the grouped tracks from the nested album containers.
Am I right in thinking that a workaround for this problem would be to assign all tracks on an album to groups, that is, not to have a mixture of grouped and ungrouped tracks? All tracks would then be in containers at the same level of the hierarchy and then ought to play in order ... I think.

This approach would mean that there are some groups with only one track, but I don't find that this is an issue; in fact, with the Control Points I now mainly use (Kinsky and Bubble DS), I prefer the display when an album is either fully grouped or not grouped at all.

David
Reference URL's