MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Some artwork do not show in MinimServer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I noticed that , for the tracks of an album downloaded from Channel Classics and with tracks tagged with a 709x701 jpg file, the artwork is not displayed when using MinimServer as the music server and BubbleUPnP as the control point. When switching to other music servers like AssetUPnp or MediaMonkey, artwork for this album is correctly displayed.

If I retag the tracks with an equivalent but differently sized 500x500 jpg file, artwork is now correctly shown with MinimServer.

I took care of flushing the BubbleUPnP thumbnails cache before each try.

Could this be caused by some limitation imposed by MinimServer on the size (709x701 in my case) of the artwork embedded in tracks, or by a somehow corrupted jpg file ? MinimServer logs do not show any error related to this.

I tried to attach the 709x701 jpg file, but with no success because the file size is too big (713 K).

Thanks for your help.
(08-11-2013 18:54)Andre Gosselin Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,
I noticed that , for the tracks of an album downloaded from Channel Classics and with tracks tagged with a 709x701 jpg file, the artwork is not displayed when using MinimServer as the music server and BubbleUPnP as the control point. When switching to other music servers like AssetUPnp or MediaMonkey, artwork for this album is correctly displayed.

If I retag the tracks with an equivalent but differently sized 500x500 jpg file, artwork is now correctly shown with MinimServer.

Could this be caused by some limitation imposed by MinimServer on the size (709x701 in my case) of the artwork embedded in tracks, or by a somehow corrupted jpg file ? MinimServer logs do not show any error related to this.

I tried to attach the 709x701 jpg file, but with no success because the file size is too big (713 K).

Thanks for your help.

There is no limit to the size of artwork that MinimServer can handle.

Is the artwork embedded as part of the track file? If so, the best approach would be for you to upload the track file with embedded artwork to my FTP server, and I will investigate what's causing this.

I will send you a PM with details of how to access my FTP server.

Thanks for your help.

THanks for uploading the test files.

I've tried all these files with both MinimServer and Asset UPnP, using BubbleUPnP and Kinsky as control points.

With MinimServer, Kinsky displays all the artwork and BubbleUPnP displays only the 500x500 artwork.

With Asset UPnP, Kinsky displays all the artwork and BubbleUPnP displays only the 500x500 artwork.

From these tests, it seems that BubbleUPnP is unable to display a 709x701 artwork image.

As you are getting the 709x701 artwork displayed with Asset UPnP and BubbleUPnP, you might have set "Size album art" in Asset UPnP to reduce the size of artwork that Asset UPnP sends to BubbleUPnP. I tried doing this in Asset UPnP, and all the images were then displayed by BubbleUPnP.

MinimServer doesn't currently have the capability to downsize album art. This is on the list of possible enhancements to be supported in a future release.
In a world of Retina displays, I am not convinced downsizing coverart is such a desirable feature for Minimserver.

Instead, control point developers should make sure that art is displayed at the resolution the user has decided to save in the file resp. wishes to see.

NB: I scale most art these days at 800x800 so i guess BubbleUPnP wouldnt be the right CP for me Tongue

bbrip
As a test I just created a 709x701 jpg assigned to an album as Folder.jpg and
BubbleUPnP displayed it fine.

I think the Android jpeg decoder is probably failing on a particular jpeg (wouldn't be surprised it is a cmyk jpeg). Andre, can you mail me your offending jpg to bubbleguuum@free.fr ?
(10-11-2013 00:08)bubbleguuum Wrote: [ -> ]As a test I just created a 709x701 jpg assigned to an album as Folder.jpg and
BubbleUPnP displayed it fine.

I think the Android jpeg decoder is probably failing on a particular jpeg (wouldn't be surprised it is a cmyk jpeg). Andre, can you mail me your offending jpg to bubbleguuum@free.fr ?

Offending file has just been mailed.
(09-11-2013 20:56)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks for your help.

THanks for uploading the test files.

I've tried all these files with both MinimServer and Asset UPnP, using BubbleUPnP and Kinsky as control points.

With MinimServer, Kinsky displays all the artwork and BubbleUPnP displays only the 500x500 artwork.

With Asset UPnP, Kinsky displays all the artwork and BubbleUPnP displays only the 500x500 artwork.

From these tests, it seems that BubbleUPnP is unable to display a 709x701 artwork image.

As you are getting the 709x701 artwork displayed with Asset UPnP and BubbleUPnP, you might have set "Size album art" in Asset UPnP to reduce the size of artwork that Asset UPnP sends to BubbleUPnP. I tried doing this in Asset UPnP, and all the images were then displayed by BubbleUPnP.

MinimServer doesn't currently have the capability to downsize album art. This is on the list of possible enhancements to be supported in a future release.
Thanks a lot for all this help. It turned out that image size has nothing to do here, nor is BubbleUPnP control point the culprit (in fact BubbleUPnP has NO difficulty handling huge artwork sizes like 1400x1400, as I tested myself). The problem is tied to the format of the jpg file itself. Bubbleguuum kindly looked into that, and saw that the offending artwork uses an uncommon CMYK color model, which is not supported under Android (only the ubiquitous RGB color model supported there).

Other android control points relying on the OS jpg layer should exhibit the problem too. I could verify this was the case for the following: Kinsky, UPnPlay, MediaHouse. Simon reported that Kinsky worked for him, but the platform he used it on is not specified. Can it be that it was an Apple type ?

It remains to be seen if all this is a serious Android limitation or not. I have found the MinimServer logs extremely usefull to identify subtle problems in my music library. Maybe adding a warning in the MinimServer logs about the use of the uncommon CMYK color model in jpg artwork would be helpfull ?

Regards
Reference URL's