MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Accidentally deleted "minimserver" user and can't re-install minimserver on Synology
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I accidentally deleted the user "minimserver" and so the Minimserver can't start as a result... (I was cleaning my user accounts).

I tried to re-installed the Minimserver spk on my Synology 713+ as I did before, however, it won't let me re-install. The Synology is reporting "Failed to upload the file. Please check your network connection".

[Image: Screenshot%20%202013-11-03%20at%201.39.29%20pm.jpg]

I searched online discussion regarding this issue, it seems to be related to java and OSX, as I did upgrade my OSX to Marverick after my successful install of Minimserver.

I tried many methods to solve the "network connection", but failed. I am giving up using the "Manual Install" in DSM.

I would like to know if I simply add a user "minimserver" would help, and what password and privilege I should give this user.

Also would that be possible using SSH to insall minimserver spk? How should and what command to use to install the spk via ssh?

Many thank.
(03-11-2013 06:49)kevench Wrote: [ -> ]I accidentally deleted the user "minimserver" and so the Minimserver can't start as a result... (I was cleaning my user accounts).

I tried to re-installed the Minimserver spk on my Synology 713+ as I did before, however, it won't let me re-install. The Synology is reporting "Failed to upload the file. Please check your network connection".

[Image: Screenshot%20%202013-11-03%20at%201.39.29%20pm.jpg]

I searched online discussion regarding this issue, it seems to be related to java and OSX, as I did upgrade my OSX to Marverick after my successful install of Minimserver.

I tried many methods to solve the "network connection", but failed. I am giving up using the "Manual Install" in DSM.

I would like to know if I simply add a user "minimserver" would help, and what password and privilege I should give this user.

Also would that be possible using SSH to insall minimserver spk? How should and what command to use to install the spk via ssh?

Many thank.

Hi, deleting the minimserver user is critical and may have unexpected results. Please try the following:
1) Reboot your NAS.
2) Uninstall MinimServer from the Package Center.
3) Reinstall MinimServer using the Package Center.
Hi, thanks for the suggestion, I am trying to refrain from uninstalling if possible as the minimserver developer suggests not to unintsall the minimserver even when updating the program as it will delete all settings which I am trying to keep as well.

I would really like to have the option to just add the "minimserver" user, but I don't know what privilege and password etc I should set for the user, could any user with synology nas help me check your minimserver user privilege? but regarding password I guess it's hard to know from the nas setting.
(04-11-2013 01:41)kevench Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, thanks for the suggestion, I am trying to refrain from uninstalling if possible as the minimserver developer suggests not to unintsall the minimserver even when updating the program as it will delete all settings which I am trying to keep as well.

When deleting the minimserver user, you have also deleteted the users home directory. This directory contains the MinimServer application data, including the settings file. This means that your settings are lost.
The recommendation to not uninstall before updating MinimServer takes not into account that someone manually deletes the daemon user.

Quote:I would really like to have the option to just add the "minimserver" user, but I don't know what privilege and password etc I should set for the user, could any user with synology nas help me check your minimserver user privilege? but regarding password I guess it's hard to know from the nas setting.

For reasons of security, the MinimServer user is assigned to a random password during installation. However, deleting the daemon user has seriously broken your MinimServer installation and just recreating it will not fix it.
Please do the steps I've suggested above to do a clean fresh install.
I see, thanks for the detailed response, I will try uninstall minimserver and re-install again, if the NAS allow me to do...

Btw, is it possible to use ssh shell commands to install minimserevr spk that I copied to the NAS directory? Because it seems DSM on my Synology is not working for manual install at the moment and I can't seem to get it working.
(04-11-2013 09:13)kevench Wrote: [ -> ]I see, thanks for the detailed response, I will try uninstall minimserver and re-install again, if the NAS allow me to do...

Btw, is it possible to use ssh shell commands to install minimserevr spk that I copied to the NAS directory? Because it seems DSM on my Synology is not working for manual install at the moment and I can't seem to get it working.

There is no easy way to install the spk via ssh. The DSM and Package Center not working properly is most likely a result of deleting the minimserver user. Again, please try the steps suggested above, where rebooting the NAS is an important step.
(04-11-2013 01:41)kevench Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, thanks for the suggestion, I am trying to refrain from uninstalling if possible as the minimserver developer suggests not to unintsall the minimserver even when updating the program as it will delete all settings which I am trying to keep as well.

This recommendation does not apply to recent releases of MinimServer for Synology, because the Synology MinimServer package now provides an option to save these settings during uninstallation. As winxi has said, this will not help in your situation.
Hi Simoncn,

Thanks for the info. I just tried uninstall the minimserver and re-install. The re-install failed given the same error...
(04-11-2013 18:29)kevench Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Simoncn,

Thanks for the info. I just tried uninstall the minimserver and re-install. The re-install failed given the same error...

This might be caused by the firewall on the Mac blocking the upload attempt from the Synology Pacakge Center. I suggest you try disabling the Mac firewall to see if this allows the upload to happen. You could also try using a different browser.
Haha, thanks so much Simon, that works! I totally didn't think of a different browser method. It was Safari not working well with Java. Thanks again Smile
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's