MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Tag Aliasing...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just a quick question to clarify that this does what I think it does...

If in aliasTag I put
Performer:Artist

Then does minimserve read anything in Performers and considers it as a separate Artist tags?

So if for example I have:
Performer: Barry Banks (Tenor)
Performer: London Philharmonic Choir
Performer: London Symphony Chorus
Artist: Barry Banks (Tenor); London Philharmonic Choir; London Symphony Chorus & London Symphony Orchestra; conducted by Colin Davis (Sir)

Will I end up with all four of those entries listed under artist?

Ideally I want a situation where if a performer entry exisits things are indexed under that, otherwise it uses the Artist - basically I'm trying to manage tags for miniserve (and maybe other things later) while also having a single "Artist" for iTunes.

Eloise
(22-10-2013 09:18)audio_elf Wrote: [ -> ]Just a quick question to clarify that this does what I think it does...

If in aliasTag I put

Then does minimserve read anything in Performers and considers it as a separate Artist tags?

Artist: Barry Banks (Tenor); London Philharmonic Choir; London Symphony Chorus & London Symphony Orchestra; conducted by Colin Davis (Sir)

Ideally I want a situation where if a performer entry exisits things are indexed under that, otherwise it uses the Artist - basically I'm trying to manage tags for miniserve (and maybe other things later) while also having a single "Artist" for iTunes.

Eloise

With an aliasTag setting of Performer:Artist, you are renaming each individual Performer tag to an individual Artist tag, so you would end up with all four entries under Artist.

If the combined Artist entry is only for iTunes purposes and you don't want to see it in MinimServer at all, you can set aliasTags to Performer:Artist, Artist:nil. This would mean you'd need to add Performer tags to everything, which might be fairly easy to do using Mp3tag.

The combined Artist tag containing all the artists seems similar to how some people use the AlbumArtist tag. If you set aliasTags to Performer:Artist, Artist:AlbumArtist, you would get the following:

Artist: Barry Banks (Tenor)
Artist: London Philharmonic Choir
Artist: London Symphony Chorus
AlbumArtist: Barry Banks (Tenor); London Philharmonic Choir; London Symphony Chorus & London Symphony Orchestra; conducted by Colin Davis (Sir)

With these tags, MinimServer will use the AlbumArtist value (only) for the entry in the Artist index:

Barry Banks (Tenor); London Philharmonic Choir; London Symphony Chorus & London Symphony Orchestra; conducted by Colin Davis (Sir)

and will use the Artist values for entries in the All Artists index:

Barry Banks (Tenor)
London Philharmonic Choir
London Symphony Chorus
(22-10-2013 09:49)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(22-10-2013 09:18)audio_elf Wrote: [ -> ]Just a quick question to clarify that this does what I think it does...

If in aliasTag I put

Eloise

With an aliasTag setting of Performer:Artist, you are renaming each individual Performer tag to an individual Artist tag, so you would end up with all four entries under Artist.

If the combined Artist entry is only for iTunes purposes and you don't want to see it in MinimServer at all, you can set aliasTags to Performer:Artist, Artist:nil. This would mean you'd need to add Performer tags to everything, which might be fairly easy to do using Mp3tag.

The combined Artist tag containing all the artists seems similar to how some people use the AlbumArtist tag. If you set aliasTags to Performer:Artist, Artist:AlbumArtist, you would get the following:

Artist: Barry Banks (Tenor)
Artist: London Philharmonic Choir
Artist: London Symphony Chorus
AlbumArtist: Barry Banks (Tenor); London Philharmonic Choir; London Symphony Chorus & London Symphony Orchestra; conducted by Colin Davis (Sir)

With these tags, MinimServer will use the AlbumArtist value (only) for the entry in the Artist index:

Barry Banks (Tenor); London Philharmonic Choir; London Symphony Chorus & London Symphony Orchestra; conducted by Colin Davis (Sir)

and will use the Artist values for entries in the All Artists index:

Barry Banks (Tenor)
London Philharmonic Choir
London Symphony Chorus
Thanks Simon, thats what I assumed would happen ... I may (as you say) just have to add a performer to every track. That can be used by minimserver with multiple entries and itunes can have the combined version.

I find it good for things like (for example) Raising Sand by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss

If only iTunes supported multiple artist tags (but thats a completely different topic).

Eloise
Reference URL's