MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Minimserver 0.72 crashes nightly on ReadyNas Ultra+
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(04-06-2014 16:59)Soli Wrote: [ -> ]It seems that it runs stable now. It's so weird. It must be the first time (in my experience) that a firmware that is supposedly fixing something, does just that!

Thanks for confirming this and for your help with doing this testing. I'm very pleased that we have been able to identify the cause of the problem and find a solution that users can apply.
Simon

I've had a couple more instances of the nightly crash problem; last night and the night before.

You may see from other threads that I've been trying to chase down the problem of the DS playlist disappearing and I have now apparently got a credible explanation of the problem from Linn. They are pointing at the lease renewal process in the router.

I am wondering if this might also explain in any way the problem of the overnight stop of the server. A recap on current symptoms:

- MinimWatch greyed out in the morning and inaccessible via the PC
- Control points unable to see MinimServer
- I can still access the ReadyNAS via its usual IP address (which implies that it must have eventually renewed its address, I guess)
- In ReadyNAS Frontview, MinimServer is reported as still running (that is, when I look in 'Installed Apps' it still has a green light in top-left corner). So I'm guessing that MinimServer has not actually crashed
- The problem is cleared by stopping and restarting MinimServer in FrontView

If the ReadyNAS had lost its IP lease for a while, might that in any way explain the problem with MinimServer being up but not visible to the network?

R
(21-08-2014 10:35)rweten Wrote: [ -> ]- MinimWatch greyed out in the morning and inaccessible via the PC
- Control points unable to see MinimServer
- I can still access the ReadyNAS via its usual IP address (which implies that it must have eventually renewed its address, I guess)
- In ReadyNAS Frontview, MinimServer is reported as still running (that is, when I look in 'Installed Apps' it still has a green light in top-left corner). So I'm guessing that MinimServer has not actually crashed
- The problem is cleared by stopping and restarting MinimServer in FrontView

The "green light" in Installed Add-ons isn't a reliable indication that MinimServer is running. For this, you need to click on MinimServer from the Installed Add-ons page to display up a pop-up titled Add-on Manager. The grey or green light at the top right corner of this pop-up is a reliable indicator of whether or not MinimServer is currently running.

Quote:If the ReadyNAS had lost its IP lease for a while, might that in any way explain the problem with MinimServer being up but not visible to the network?

I am almost sure that you will find that MinimServer has crashed. If so, it is possible that there might be a bug in ohNet that could cause MinimServer to crash if the lease wasn't renewed (or for some other reason). To confirm whether or not this is happening, please do the following:

1) Last thing in the evening, set the ohnet.debug property to All-Timer and set the MinimServer logging level to Debug

2) Allow MinimServer to run overnight and crash

3) Before you restart MinimServer using FrontView, copy the minimserver.log file from the backup share, zip it and email it to me
Simon

I'll try that tonight. However, it may not crash - as part of my efforts to fix these problems I followed Linn's advice to reflash my router with 3rd party firmware (DD-WRT in my case).

All that managed to do is to brick the thing! So I've had to reinstall a much older Netgear (DG834) as a stop-gap until I can rebuild the WNDR4500. I never noticed problems with that router before so it's possible the problems will just go away (and prove it was a router problem?). Here's hoping.

Otherwise, you'll get a crash report in the morning.

R
It crashed again. I've sent through the log. Hopefully there will be a clue in there.

R
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Reference URL's