MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Minimserver 0.72 crashes nightly on ReadyNas Ultra+
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hi, Sorry for the late reply. Yes I've got it working now, I did three things and I'm not certain which fixed the problem but suspect it's the first.

1) Disabled ReadyNAS Vault under Backup in front view, must have set it ages ago and forgot as I have never used it.

2) Restarted NAS

3) Restarted streamer

All is working OK now, haven't had any issues for almost a month.

Thank you very much for your help!

Cheers,
Loks

PS: Is there a way add a search on newly added music in minimserver?
(08-11-2013 20:42)lokesh0_0 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, Sorry for the late reply. Yes I've got it working now, I did three things and I'm not certain which fixed the problem but suspect it's the first.

1) Disabled ReadyNAS Vault under Backup in front view, must have set it ages ago and forgot as I have never used it.

2) Restarted NAS

3) Restarted streamer

All is working OK now, haven't had any issues for almost a month.

Thank you very much for your help!

Cheers,
Loks

PS: Is there a way add a search on newly added music in minimserver?

Thanks for the feedback. My guess is that the issue was probably related to the Vault setting. It would be interesting to know whether other users with the same issue also have the Vault enabled.

It isn't possible to search for newly added music at the moment. This is on the list of requested enhancements for a future release.
(08-11-2013 20:42)lokesh0_0 Wrote: [ -> ]1) Disabled ReadyNAS Vault under Backup in front view, must have set it ages ago and forgot as I have never used it.

That's interesting. I never used Vault and it was not enabled.
For a test I enabled it, did the setup procedure and finally disabled gain.

I'll see what will happen now!
Simon, I've recently been having a similar problem to the one described above. Minimserver/Minimwatch crashes after I've not used it for several hours (e.g. overnight). There are two different behaviours associated with this:

1. (Minor crash) - here it seems that Minimwatch encounters a problem of some sort because it cannot see the server. I have tried stopping and restarting Minimwatch, and even restarting my Win7 PC, but the behaviour (greyed out icon in the notification area) persists.

However, I can still access the server via my other control points (Kinsky on iPad), though I cannot see Minimserver in Kinsky on the Win7PC.

Also, I can get into Frontview on my NAS (ReadyNAS NV+), and can use that to stop Minimserver and restart it again. Once that's done, the problem clears and Minimwatch can see the server again.

2. (Bigger crash) - here the behaviour with Minimwatch is the same, but my control points cannot now see the server, regardless of whether we are talking about the Win7 PC or the iPad.

Worse, I can't get into Frontview on the ReadyNAS, so can't do anything to stop/start Minimserver on the NAS.

However, I can still browse the files/folders on the NAS. So it looks as though it is just Minimserver/Minimwatch/Frontview that is the problem.

One other thought that might give a clue to the source of the problem - Minimserver was working well until I started using a wired connection to the network on my PC (I was doing a big tidy-up of the library and needed more bandwidth). The Minimserver problems seem to have started since I have been doing that. I have noticed anyway that Minimwatch can't contact the server when I'm using the wired connection, and I have to switch back to using wireless to be able to use it.

Hope you can help,
Richard
(05-12-2013 19:16)rweten Wrote: [ -> ]Simon, I've recently been having a similar problem to the one described above. Minimserver/Minimwatch crashes after I've not used it for several hours (e.g. overnight). There are two different behaviours associated with this:

1. (Minor crash) - here it seems that Minimwatch encounters a problem of some sort because it cannot see the server. I have tried stopping and restarting Minimwatch, and even restarting my Win7 PC, but the behaviour (greyed out icon in the notification area) persists.

However, I can still access the server via my other control points (Kinsky on iPad), though I cannot see Minimserver in Kinsky on the Win7PC.

Also, I can get into Frontview on my NAS (ReadyNAS NV+), and can use that to stop Minimserver and restart it again. Once that's done, the problem clears and Minimwatch can see the server again.

2. (Bigger crash) - here the behaviour with Minimwatch is the same, but my control points cannot now see the server, regardless of whether we are talking about the Win7 PC or the iPad.

Worse, I can't get into Frontview on the ReadyNAS, so can't do anything to stop/start Minimserver on the NAS.

However, I can still browse the files/folders on the NAS. So it looks as though it is just Minimserver/Minimwatch/Frontview that is the problem.

One other thought that might give a clue to the source of the problem - Minimserver was working well until I started using a wired connection to the network on my PC (I was doing a big tidy-up of the library and needed more bandwidth). The Minimserver problems seem to have started since I have been doing that. I have noticed anyway that Minimwatch can't contact the server when I'm using the wired connection, and I have to switch back to using wireless to be able to use it.

Hope you can help,
Richard

The problem with MinimWatch not being able to contact MinimServer over the wired connection is caused by MinimWatch defaulting to the wireless network adapter on your PC. You can confirm this by disabling the wireless adapter and restarting MinimWatch, which will force MinimWatch to use the wired connection. In the next release of MinimWatch, there will be a configuration option to select which network adapter to use.

It sounds like the first problem (minor crash) may be caused by network multicast issues. Perhaps the router has dropped the PC from its multicast group because the PC isn't responding to IGMP queries (for example, while in sleep mode). What router do you have? Is there a configuration option on the router to enable/disable IGMP snooping? If so, please try disabling IGMP snooping to see if this improves things.

The second problem (bigger crash) might be a problem within the NAS itself, or it might be network-related. You could try asking on a ReadyNAS forum what could cause FrontView to become unreachable.
(05-12-2013 19:58)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]The problem with MinimWatch not being able to contact MinimServer over the wired connection is caused by MinimWatch defaulting to the wireless network adapter on your PC. You can confirm this by disabling the wireless adapter and restarting MinimWatch, which will force MinimWatch to use the wired connection. In the next release of MinimWatch, there will be a configuration option to select which network adapter to use.

It sounds like the first problem (minor crash) may be caused by network multicast issues. Perhaps the router has dropped the PC from its multicast group because the PC isn't responding to IGMP queries (for example, while in sleep mode). What router do you have? Is there a configuration option on the router to enable/disable IGMP snooping? If so, please try disabling IGMP snooping to see if this improves things.

The second problem (bigger crash) might be a problem within the NAS itself, or it might be network-related. You could try asking on a ReadyNAS forum what could cause FrontView to become unreachable.

Simon, thanks for the response. My router is a Netgear WNDR4500 v2. It does have an option to 'Disable IGMP proxying', which was checked by default. However I would have been surprised if the problem had been due to the machine not responding to queries, as I had specifically left it in always-on mode because of some work it was doing.

I'm sure it will be helpful to be able to switch between NICs in the future release - good idea.

I think the second problem is in fact network related, and I suspect relates again to me switching the NIC I was working through. I was trying to figure out how to shut down and restart the NAS without physically removing the power, and I then found I could actually get into Frontview via Safari on my iPad. This enabled me to stop and restart Minimserver. So I reckon the problem is now narrowed down to one between the PC and the NAS. I will check with Netgear to see if they can help.

I've done a complete restart of the network to see if I could clear out any other problems and that seems to have helped, though I can re-create the NAS problems by switching the NIC and trying again to log on.

R
Hi Simon, back again.

This problem of Minimserver crashing hasn't gone away, sad to report. I've resolved some of my problems via the ReadyNAS forums (e.g. the reason I couldn't get into my NAS was because of a compatability error between ReadyNAS frontview and IE10).

But I've been running the last couple of weeks on just the wired NIC and I am still suffering this problem of Minimserver being unavailable and needing restarting. It happens pretty much every day.

Behaviour:

- Minimwatch can't see Minimserver (greyed out), and can't restart it as a result
- Control points can't see the Minimserver either, regardless of whether they are PCs, iPads, iPhones etc
- Can log on to the ReadyNAS, and Minimserver is showing there as a running application
- My streamers can still obtain their music from Minimserver.
- I can resolve the behaviour by stopping the Minimserver service on the ReadyNAS, and then starting it again.

Really, it's the second type of problem I identified in an earlier post, but I have at least now found a way to get into the ReadyNAS to restart the Minimserver service.
(21-12-2013 18:41)rweten Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Simon, back again.

This problem of Minimserver crashing hasn't gone away, sad to report. I've resolved some of my problems via the ReadyNAS forums (e.g. the reason I couldn't get into my NAS was because of a compatability error between ReadyNAS frontview and IE10).

But I've been running the last couple of weeks on just the wired NIC and I am still suffering this problem of Minimserver being unavailable and needing restarting. It happens pretty much every day.

Behaviour:

- Minimwatch can't see Minimserver (greyed out), and can't restart it as a result
- Control points can't see the Minimserver either, regardless of whether they are PCs, iPads, iPhones etc
- Can log on to the ReadyNAS, and Minimserver is showing there as a running application
- I can resolve the behaviour by stopping the Minimserver service on the ReadyNAS, and then starting it again.

Really, it's the second type of problem I identified in an earlier post, but I have at least now found a way to get into the ReadyNAS to restart the Minimserver service.

This is likely to be caused by the router doing IGMP snooping and removing the ReadyNAS from its multicast group because it doesn't receive a response. Is there a setting in the router to disable IGMP snooping, or a setting to enable UPnP support? You could try searching the router user manual for IGMP and UPnP and see what you find.
(21-12-2013 19:47)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]

Behaviour:

This is likely to be caused by the router doing IGMP snooping and removing the ReadyNAS from its multicast group because it doesn't receive a response. Is there a setting in the router to disable IGMP snooping, or a setting to enable UPnP support? You could try searching the router user manual for IGMP and UPnP and see what you find.

OK, I don't see a setting to disable IGMP snooping, but I did turn UPNP off a little while ago. I'll re-enable it and see if that fixes things.

Cheers, R
(21-12-2013 20:24)rweten Wrote: [ -> ]
(21-12-2013 19:47)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]

Behaviour:

OK, I don't see a setting to disable IGMP snooping, but I did turn UPNP off a little while ago. I'll re-enable it and see if that fixes things.

Cheers, R

...and the answer is no - with UPNP on again from yesterday, Minimserver crashed with same behaviour last night. R
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Reference URL's