MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Minimserver not working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
I installed the Minimserver on my Synology DS213j and Minimwatch on my W7 PC. Both the server and Java 7 are running. I get however no tray icon in the DSM.
When I install everything on my W7 PC I have the same problem.
I can start and stop the server through the package centre and through Minimwatch but that's it.
No sign of a window to create a library let alone play anything.
(20-09-2013 09:38)swdick Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,
I installed the Minimserver on my Synology DS213j and Minimwatch on my W7 PC. Both the server and Java 7 are running. I get however no tray icon in the DSM.
When I install everything on my W7 PC I have the same problem.
I can start and stop the server through the package centre and through Minimwatch but that's it.
No sign of a window to create a library let alone play anything.

MinimServer doesn''t create an icon in the DSM UI. To check that MinimServer is running, open the Package Center and look for the MinimServer icon. If you see the word 'Running' underneath 'MinimServer', this means that MinimServer is running. To confgure MinimServer settings and options, you need to use MinimWatch.

You can't create a library using MinimServer. You can configure MinimServer to use an existing library by setting the contentDir property in the MinimWatch UI and then restarting MinimServer.

You can't play music using MinimServer alone. MinimServer is a UPnP AV server, so you also need an UPnP AV renderer and a UPnP AV control point in order to play music. For more information about UPnP AV, see this page.
Thanks for your quick answer.
Minimserver is running.
Minimwatch on the PC doesn't do anything except start/stop Minimserver. I should get a window to control the server, wouldn't I? I don't get a UI.
Can't do anything else. I was under the impression that Minimwatch acts as a control point.
The renderer I use is a Linn DSM.

Update: I managed to configure Linn Kinsky as a control point. Everything seems to work now.
Thanks a lot.
(20-09-2013 10:16)swdick Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for your quick answer.
Minimserver is running.
Minimwatch on the PC doesn't do anything except start/stop Minimserver. I should get a window to control the server, wouldn't I? I don't get a UI.
Can't do anything else. I was under the impression that Minimwatch acts as a control point.
The renderer I use is a Linn DSM.

Update: I managed to configure Linn Kinsky as a control point. Everything seems to work now.
Thanks a lot.

As well as starting and stopping MinimServer, MinimWatch allows you to view and change configuration properties and view the log. It also shows you the current status of MinimServer.

Linn Kinsky works well with MinimServer, and I use it myself. You can find some other suggestions for suitable control points in this section.
I have a similar problem on my 411j Synology NAS. MinimServer up and running, Java installed, Minimwatch on my mac pro desktop, but Kinsky cannot see mimimserver.. thoughts? thanks.
(29-09-2013 19:57)dcginc Wrote: [ -> ]I have a similar problem on my 411j Synology NAS. MinimServer up and running, Java installed, Minimwatch on my mac pro desktop, but Kinsky cannot see mimimserver.. thoughts? thanks.

Can MinimWatch see MinimServer? If so, is this using a wired connection?

What device are you using to run Kinsky? If MinimServer is visible over a wired connection but not over a wireless connection, this suggests that there is a multicast problem with your wireless router or access point. You might need to enable multicast and/or IGMP snooping on the router or access point. What wireless router or access point are you using?
Ok, now Kinsky can now see my MinimServer (MS) on the Synology Diskstation. I could not the other day. Not sure, if had to do with MS needing to index all the files or something.

I am using Apple's Airport Extreme router and it has 6.3.1 ver. firmware which does not allow changes to multicasting.

The Kinsky is on my iphone 4s. The mimimServer is on the Synology 411j NAS which is wired to the PW Audio Perfectwave DAC. Minimwatch can see MinimServer.

music is now playing via MinimServer, controlled by Kinsky. I do not see any internet radio. Don't know (as I have not researched yet) if MS can host a list of internet radio stations like the Synology Audio Station software can.
(05-10-2013 18:44)dcginc Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, now Kinsky can now see my MinimServer (MS) on the Synology Diskstation. I could not the other day. Not sure, if had to do with MS needing to index all the files or something.

I am using Apple's Airport Extreme router and it has 6.3.1 ver. firmware which does not allow changes to multicasting.

The Kinsky is on my iphone 4s. The mimimServer is on the Synology 411j NAS which is wired to the PW Audio Perfectwave DAC. Minimwatch can see MinimServer.

music is now playing via MinimServer, controlled by Kinsky. I do not see any internet radio. Don't know (as I have not researched yet) if MS can host a list of internet radio stations like the Synology Audio Station software can.

Thanks for this update. It sounds like the original problem was caused by the initial file indexing delay rather than by multicasting issues.

MinimServer doesn't have any special support for internet radio stations at present. You can create a .m3u playlist file with URL entries for radio station streams if you know the stream URLs. A useful list of stream URLs can be found on this website.
Reference URL's