MinimServer Forum

Full Version: MinimServer download triggers Smartscreen Filter security warning!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(08-09-2013 00:12)haggis999 Wrote: [ -> ]As I said, I'm just being impatient. I will RTFM ASAP!

I've set aliasTags to Work:Group. I then stopped and restarted MinimServer. However, I'm still not seeing any work info.

I'm expecting to see Work as a menu choice after selecting Composer.

If you want to see Work as an index choice as well as using it to group your tracks for browsing and playing, you should add the following to indexTags:

Group:Work

If you only want to see Work as an index choice and you don't want to use it to group your tracks for browsing and playing, you should remove the Work:Group setting from aliasTags and add the following to indexTags:

Work
Simon,
Your last post got me started and things are starting to fall into place, so thanks for the assistance so far. I will probably be raising one or two further questions in a new thread (as they don't relate to the Smartscreen Filter issue).

BTW, hypertext-based user guides have their place but the lack of an index or an obvious text search facility that covers the whole user guide, and nothing but the user guide, can make it tricky to zero in on a particular topic in a relatively complicated subject such as MinimServer. To resolve this problem for my own purposes, I have copied the primary text of all of your user guide pages into a Word document and created a single detailed table of contents. I plan to add an index later. If you or anyone else would find such a document useful as a supplement to the hypertext guide I would be happy to upload it here.

David
(09-09-2013 12:54)haggis999 Wrote: [ -> ]Simon,
Your last post got me started and things are starting to fall into place, so thanks for the assistance so far. I will probably be raising one or two further questions in a new thread (as they don't relate to the Smartscreen Filter issue).

BTW, hypertext-based user guides have their place but the lack of an index or an obvious text search facility that covers the whole user guide, and nothing but the user guide, can make it tricky to zero in on a particular topic in a relatively complicated subject such as MinimServer. To resolve this problem for my own purposes, I have copied the primary text of all of your user guide pages into a Word document and created a single detailed table of contents. I plan to add an index later. If you or anyone else would find such a document useful as a supplement to the hypertext guide I would be happy to upload it here.

David

I agree that this is a problem, and I'm planning to add a hyperlinked index to the MinimServer User guide pages. A hyperlinked combined table of contents would be useful as well.

I'd be interested to see the document you have created. I think the best long-term solution is to merge these improvements into the hyperlinked online master copy, to avoid the problem of the information in the document getting out of sync with the online master copy. A further improvement would be to provide some means of creating a printable snapshot of the online master copy.
I'd also wondered if there was a way of avoiding the extra work associated with maintaining a second version of the user guide but I don't have a solution to offer at the moment.

My Word version takes up 25 pages, which is certainly quite a mouthful for online reading. I find that the attractiveness of a hard copy increases in direct proportion to the word count. A hard copy is also useful for scribbling notes in the margins.

I'll PM you a copy of my document as soon as I have made a first pass at adding some index records. Any changes to your original text will be highlighted via Word's change tracking facility. For example, I have already corrected one typo and have added a short explanatory sentence about ohNet (not something many of your readers are likely to have stumbled across before).
(09-09-2013 16:28)haggis999 Wrote: [ -> ]I'd also wondered if there was a way of avoiding the extra work associated with maintaining a second version of the user guide but I don't have a solution to offer at the moment.

My Word version takes up 25 pages, which is certainly quite a mouthful for online reading. I find that the attractiveness of a hard copy increases in direct proportion to the word count. A hard copy is also useful for scribbling notes in the margins.

I'll PM you a copy of my document as soon as I have made a first pass at adding some index records. Any changes to your original text will be highlighted via Word's change tracking facility. For example, I have already corrected one typo and have added a short explanatory sentence about ohNet (not something many of your readers are likely to have stumbled across before).

Thanks very much! I will be indexing the online version by section hyperlinks rather than an exact location in the text, so it would be easier for me if you could do the same with your index records.

I feel sure there must be some tool that can convert HTML markup into a printable document, but I don't know of anything specific.
Hypertext documents are really quite different animals from conventional printable documents. I did a quick search for conversion tools but the results were all for converting in the opposite direction, i.e. Word to HTML, and such conversions probably generate poor examples of hypertext.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by saying that you "will be indexing the online version by section hyperlinks rather than an exact location in the text". That sounds more like a definition of a table of contents than an index. As it happens, I had already created one page of index entries in my Word doc before I saw your post. I have been using the built-in indexing facility of Word, which makes it fairly easy to list the relevant page numbers for all references to (for example) indexTags. The skill in indexing is in choosing which words to index, and that's also what takes the most time.
(09-09-2013 23:07)haggis999 Wrote: [ -> ]Hypertext documents are really quite different animals from conventional printable documents. I did a quick search for conversion tools but the results were all for converting in the opposite direction, i.e. Word to HTML, and such conversions probably generate poor examples of hypertext.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by saying that you "will be indexing the online version by section hyperlinks rather than an exact location in the text". That sounds more like a definition of a table of contents than an index. As it happens, I had already created one page of index entries in my Word doc before I saw your post. I have been using the built-in indexing facility of Word, which makes it fairly easy to list the relevant page numbers for all references to (for example) indexTags. The skill in indexing is in choosing which words to index, and that's also what takes the most time.

I meant that for each indexed word or phrase, there will be a hyperlink to the section that has the primary information about that word or phrase. Within this section there might be hyperlinks to other sections that also contain relevant information. This isn't the same as a table of contents because the TOC would have only one pointer to each section, whereas the index could have many pointers to the same section for different words or phrases.

The aim is for the index to provide a selection of helpful starting points for the main things that users need to know, rather than a complete list of all the places where some word or phrase appears in the main text.
Hyperlinks are the engine of online hypertext documents but only relevant for a Word document that will always be read on screen (and even then only for external website references, not for internal references within the document). In fact, the next job I planned to do with my draft manual was to remove all the hyperlinks embedded in the text I copied from the website. A printed document or textbook has no such thing as a hyperlink.

A conventional index does indeed meet your requirement for "many pointers to the same section for different words or phrases" in the sense that it would normally contain references to the same page for different words or phrases. I agree that it may not always be useful to reference every location of a given word or phrase and eliminating trivial references is another part of the laborious manual process of creating a good quality index.

BTW, I have just realised that the 'User guide' section of the website is not a comprehensive source of MinimServer information. There is also a lot of very useful stuff listed under other headings on the MinimServer home page. Most of this probably belongs in a printable version of the user guide.
I think it would be better to continue this conversation via PM. I've just sent you one.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's