MinimServer Forum

Full Version: whats your current process and software?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm just getting back into home music streaming after being out for a year or so and am looking to see what has changed, what works for folks what doesn't.

Current i'm using Foobar2000 to rip my CDs into FLAC and i have that tied to the discogs component and manually figuring out which specific CD i have then appling tags and then transferring to my music library.

it works, but i'm not really sure if the quality of the Discogs database is good/bad/okay, if it is bad, is there something better? I see a lot of mentions of the DBPowerAmp suite. Are folks happy with that, what makes it better than foobar2000 ?

sean
I rip with EAC then tag in foobar using the MusicBrainz Tagger - unless it's a compilation with a lot of artists then I use MusicBrainz Picard as it can populate artist_sort tags.

I've used dBpoweramp before and it's a good piece of software. The ripper is no better than EAC but it does offer multiple metadata sources including Discogs, MusicBrainz, SonataDB (classical) and GD3, and it can merge from the multiple sources to improve quality. It's not a player or music manager like foobar is, and you'll still need a tagger for any requirements post rip.

You have a 21 day free trial so there's no harm in trying it out. Rip the same discs using dBpoweramp and foobar and see if it's worth it.
When I started ripping, I used EAC. After a few years, I changed to dBpoweramp. The main advantage is the option to select beween different variations of the tags. By doing a bit of mixing and matching between the alternatives offered, I can quickly select the tags that I want.
I rip using dBpoweramp. I just check a few taggings, but not that much. Though nowaday I rip less and less, and buy more and more 24 bits.

I then use Metadatics (the best tagging app on mac) to correct all the tagging errors (I can tell you that even with Qobuz, tagging is never clean), and above all to delete the track cover image.

I then run jRiver to add the dynamic range value. What I need to check is how to add this DR value to minimserver, as it is in so many different places.

Then I choose where to add the album in my library. Tricky.
(31-08-2022 17:08)lyapounov Wrote: [ -> ]What I need to check is how to add this DR value to minimserver, as it is in so many different places.

… depending on file format I suppose …
You can solve the “issue” quite easy:
If you have, let me say, three different tags DR1, DR2, DR3 you can use aliasTags property to “homogenize” the tag names.
Just write in aliasTags property:
DR2:DR1, DR3:DR1
Then use DR1 wherever you like and it will contain the tag values for DR1, DR2 and DR3
(31-08-2022 17:41)stefano_mbp Wrote: [ -> ]… depending on file format I suppose …
You can solve the “issue” quite easy:
If you have, let me say, three different tags DR1, DR2, DR3 you can use aliasTags property to “homogenize” the tag names.
Just write in aliasTags property:
DR2:DR1, DR3:DR1
Then use DR1 wherever you like and it will contain the tag values for DR1, DR2 and DR3

Well, the are either in
tags > dynamic range (dr),
or in
tags > text > dynamic range (DR)
or in
tags > text > DYNAMIC RANGE
or in
id3v2 > comments > text > DYNAMIC RANGE
or in
id3v2 > comments > text > dynamic range (DR)

so what should I use as DR1 / DR2 ????
Have you used writeAllTags feature to retrieve those tag names?
(31-08-2022 18:33)stefano_mbp Wrote: [ -> ]Have you used writeAllTags feature to retrieve those tag names?

Thx for this.

So I tryed writeAllTags

The file is in /volume1/MinimServer/appData

And I can't read this file because the directory is owned by Minimserver

sftp (even with a admin account) does not accept to download the file.

mode cli:

cd: /volume1/MinimServer/appData/: Permission denied

sudo cat /volume1/MinimServer/appData/allTags.txt

/volume1/MinimServer/appData/allTags.txt: No such file or directory

(but the file exists)

Interesting to generate a file that no one can read
You can force Minimserver to write the file where you want … follow these instructions
(31-08-2022 20:11)stefano_mbp Wrote: [ -> ]You can force Minimserver to write the file where you want … follow these instructions

OK, thx Stefano.

I now have what I wanted: albums sorted by DR ;-)
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's