MinimServer Forum

Full Version: profile from startd
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
how to submit profile to startd when starting under systemd?
I see in .config my content directory is entered; however, when following troubleshoots, I go to http:/host:97xx and the config shows NO content; I presume this is the crux of my problem. I created instructions for systemd service and startd is active but doesn't serve anything..

if I stop systemd and restart it then starts and serves,

once this works I will post instructions and this will be helpful for me
here is my service file for systemd and this is running okay on fedora 34:

[Unit]
Description=Minimserver mulimedia server
After=multi-user.target
Wants=multi-user.target

[Service]
Type=forking
User=minimserver
Group=minimserver
ExecStart=nohup /usr/bin/bash /home/minimserver/minimserver/bin/startd
#ExecStartPost=nohup /usr/bin/bash /home/minimserver/minimwatch/bin/startc
WorkingDirectory=/home/minimserver

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
I guess I figure the default profile, which has content inscribed into it during setup should convey the content; however this doesn't seem to be the case. so how do I make the default really be the default when just starting systems execstart= shown, above
finally, I start the daemon, startd, and when running from minim server user the daemon starts and serves [it performs music serving of my content that setup took.

also, in addition, I think there is issue with these instructions: when following the relevant instructions [for linux, install], I see reference to an automatic install. I tried this first but sadly it doesn't start daemon upon next boot. this is why I needed to setup systemd service
Okay, I see the setup script is trying to populate my systemd... and it's not doing it.. I am running fedora and you don't mention this in supported systems. Anyway, I copied the setup service file into where it's expected on systemd for fedora.. and I start the daemon, "startd" and then talk to it and here is what it says:

MinimServer 2.1 update 213, Copyright © 2012-2022 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
Your license type is Starter. For more information, select the License tab.
Media server status for MinimServer[s100]: Error Refresh status
This page was last updated at 11:52:05 on 15 Feb 2022
No valid content directory found
Your last rescan was at 11:48:16 on 15 Feb 2022Rescan

Your selected content directory is /mnt/nas/Multimedia

To change this, enter the full path to your content directory in the field below and click Update.

Content directory: Update Reset

For more information about using MinimServer, see the Quick start page.

here is my service file, which has some fedora things added:
[Unit]
Description=MinimServer
After=multi-user.target

[Service]
Type=fork
RemainAfterExit=yes
User=minimserver
Group=minimserver
ExecStart=nohup /usr/bin/bash /home/minimserver/minimserver/bin/startd init
#xecStop=/home/minimserver/minimserver/bin/stopall

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
With the script, kind of like above, here is what service thinks:
[root@s100 ~]# systemctl status minimserver.service
● minimserver.service - MinimServer
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/minimserver.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: active (exited) since Tue 2022-02-15 12:03:25 EST; 2s ago
Process: 1273 ExecStart=nohup /usr/bin/bash /home/minimserver/minimserver/bin/startd init (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 1273 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Tasks: 65 (limit: 2311)
Memory: 104.1M
CPU: 3.697s
CGroup: /system.slice/minimserver.service
├─1296 /usr/bin/bash /home/minimserver/minimserver/bin/startd init
└─1298 java -jar /home/minimserver/minimserver/lib/mserver.jar --launchrc --set watch.view=log --nohup

Feb 15 12:03:25 s100 systemd[1]: Started MinimServer.

When I use your installation setup's service definition it exits and leaves something running.. If I put nohup and type=fork it runs okay but only when start and stopping systemctl manual. on boot, no cigar
yeah, when I look at the log, here is what is the reason for error:
inimServer 2.1 update 213, Copyright © 2012-2022 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.13+8)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.13+8, mixed mode, sharing)
Platform default charset is UTF-8
System platform is linux-x64
Using platform default language English (en-US)
Current time is Tue Feb 15 12:05:59 EST 2022 in time zone America/New_York
starting MinimServer[s100]
MinimServer: no valid content directory found
Startup complete

The MimimServer is not getting default profile when running startd under service. I wonder if the working directory will fix that?
If you are using SELinux with Fedora, this can cause problems for MinimServer. See this post for a workaround.

The only supported way to start Minimserver at boot is by creating systemd files using the minimserver/bin/setup command (enable automatic startup). You should install MinimServer as a regular user (not root) and use the same regular user to run the minimserver/bin/setup command. I have tested this on Fedora 35 with the SELinux configuration change described in my other post and confirmed that it works.
I've done everything that you mention and the problem still remains:

1) system starts with (soft) status error (very flexible server status)
2) the log indicates that content directory was not specified
3) automatic logging created the service and I just had to enable it with systemctl
4) oh, I did find that "leave resident" and "one shot" didn't stop daemon from exiting and changed this to type=fork. this has to positive effect that daemon didn't shutdown immediately.

But that's it...it seems that unless you will give me more specifics on what you did I think this is not working with Fedora Linux 34
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's