MinimServer Forum

Full Version: DSM 7 upgrade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have just upgraded from DSM 6 to 7. I have a full Minimserver 2 licence running on a DS716+II. I believe I followed the instructions correctly uninstalling MS and Java, deactivated licence and re-installed adding back in the licence.

I think I noticed that MS was running when first re-installed but Minimwatch or directly on DSM I can't get past restarting.

I've attached a screengrab.

What's the best way to proceed please?

Philip
(07-12-2021 12:21)philiph Wrote: [ -> ]I have just upgraded from DSM 6 to 7. I have a full Minimserver 2 licence running on a DS716+II. I believe I followed the instructions correctly uninstalling MS and Java, deactivated licence and re-installed adding back in the licence.

I think I noticed that MS was running when first re-installed but Minimwatch or directly on DSM I can't get past restarting.

I've attached a screengrab.

What's the best way to proceed please?

Philip

PS - It has just started to run, maybe there was some sort of full scan which took longer than usual?
Exactly that. The MinimServer cache file isn't preserved when you uninstall MinimServer, so it needs to be rebuilt after reinstallation.
(07-12-2021 13:16)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]Exactly that. The MinimServer cache file isn't preserved when you uninstall MinimServer, so it needs to be rebuilt after reinstallation.

Thanks - it took about 20mns which is what threw me, I have 1100 albums. Just as a further update that might help some people. I also had to add Minimstreamer from Minimwatch before transcoding ran again. It didn't seem to recognise FFPMPG even though my DS reported it was running.

Is one better that the other for transcoding FLAC to WAV to send to my Naim ND5 XS2 and how can I be sure which is doing the transcoding?
DSM contains a preinstalled version of FFmpeg and MinimStreamer uses this version by default.

Alternatively, you can install the SynoCommunity version of FFmpeg and configure MinimStreamer to use that version as described in this post. The SynoCommunity version is more recent so this is what I would recommend.

You can't easily see which version of FFmpeg is being used. If you have set the stream.converter option as described in the linked post, you will be using the SynoCommunity version.
Mmm - I had installed the SynoCommunity version some time ago, but StreamConverter in Minimwatch is set to "ffmpeg" rather than the extended location given in the post. The fields re-appeared after I had installed Minimstreamer so I'm still a little unclear which option I'm running - the DSM version or Synocommunity.
If stream.converter is set to ffmpeg, MinimStreamer is using the default Synology version. If stream.converter is set to /var/packages/ffmpeg/target/bin/ffmpeg, MinimStreamer is using the SynoCommunity version.

As well as being more recent, the SynoCommunity version is able to transcode aac and mp4/m4a files and streams on DSM 7, so this the recommended version for DSM 7 users.

Edit: updated the stream.converter path.
On my Synology (DSM7), the path for ffmpeg Community version is:

/var/packages/ffmpeg/target/bin/ffmpeg
Thanks! Both paths work but your suggestion is better. I have updated my post.
Reference URL's