MinimServer Forum

Full Version: MinimStreamer package not present in options box in MinimWatch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I changed stream.transcode to aac:wav as suggested in https://minimstreamer.com/bbcradio.html
stream.converter is set at ffmpeg which was not entered by me
You might be better off with aac:L16. Which renderer are you using?
Thanks - same errors reported with aac:L16. Renderer is HQPlayer embedded running on audiolinux which is functioning otherwise appropriately.
I will try this (not today) and post the results here.
Thanks. I'm using audiolinux 3.2.0 headless with HQPlayer 4.27.0 just in case relevant.
The setup will play internet radio streams not requring transcoding without MinimServer e.g. Linn radio
I have now tried streaming to other endpoints including a Naim MuSo and an iPhone.
In all cases there are repeated instances of the error message:
Converter program ended unexpectedly with exit value 1

The problem is not therefore limited to the HQPlayer environment and I presume is something to do with the functoning of FFMpeg on Synology.
Unfortuately, I have no experience of FFMpeg and no insight about how to investigate it on the NAS. It appears to be poorly documented.
I have tried both the community install of FFMpeg and an installation of video station which some people have said works better but behaviour was not modified by this
On installing the johnvansickle version of FFMpeg in the opt/bin directory of MinimServer, AND specifying this path in the properties page, after a few resets, HQPlayer started to handle the streams as desired.
Thus, it may be worth adding something to your method page about the path setting for FFMpeg with Synology - whether there is anything related to DSM7 I don't know. I haven't experimeted with removing the johnvansickle version and adjusting the path setting.
The default DSM version of ffmpeg requires root privilege to decode aac and mp4/m4a files and streams. Before DSM 7, MinimServer ran with root privilege and was able to launch ffmpeg with root privilege. On DSM 7, MinimServer cannot run with root privilege and therefore cannot launch ffmpeg with root privilege.

The johnvansickle version of ffmpeg doesn't need root privilege to decode aac files and streams and the latest SynoCommunity ffmpeg package for DSM 7 (4.3.3) also doesn't need root privilege for this. I confirmed the latter by downloading and installing the SynoCommunity ffmpeg 4.3.3 package and putting this path in stream.converter:

/var/packages/ffmpeg/target/bin/ffmpeg

I will put some notes in appropriate places to alert users to this unfortunate limitation when using DSM 7.

Edit: updated the stream.converter path.
(19-11-2021 18:39)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]The default DSM version of ffmpeg requires root privilege to decode aac and mp4/m4a files and streams. Before DSM 7, MinimServer ran with root privilege and was able to launch ffmpeg with root privilege. On DSM 7, MinimServer cannot run with root privilege and therefore cannot launch ffmpeg with root privilege.

The johnvansickle version of ffmpeg doesn't need root privilege to decode aac files and streams and the latest SynoCommunity ffmpeg package for DSM 7 (4.3.3) also doesn't need root privilege for this. I confirmed the latter by downloading and installing the SynoCommunity ffmpeg 4.3.3 package and putting this path in stream.converter:

/var/packages/ffmpeg/target/bin/ffmpeg

I will put some notes in appropriate places to alert users to this unfortunate limitation when using DSM 7.
Thanks. Perhaps there is something to be said for the vansickle package as it is more up to date. Particularly if one requires it only for minim server.
Is there any reason why wma streams do not appear to be permitted for transcoding by MinimServer although ffmpeg seems to be able to handle them?
Any suggestion for handling flac streams such as offered by naim radio channels?
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's