MinimServer Forum

Full Version: DSM7, Java and MinimServer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi,

today I noticed that DSM7 is ready for my Sonology D218+.
Unfortunately Java is not supported anymore so I have to uninstall it before updating.

As far as I remember Java is needed to run MinimServer, isn't it?
Is there any work around?

Best regards
(04-08-2021 20:40)Spawnie Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

today I noticed that DSM7 is ready for my Sonology D218+.
Unfortunately Java is not supported anymore so I have to uninstall it before updating.

As far as I remember Java is needed to run MinimServer, isn't it?
Is there any work around?

Best regards

See this post: https://forum.minimserver.com/showthread.php?tid=6264
You need to be careful when updating MinimServer to DSM 7 or you might lose important configuration settings. The following is the safest procedure for a Synology Intel-based NAS, starting from a working DSM 6 installation of MinimServer.

1) Make sure you have update 197 installed. If you don't, install it and relaunch MinimServer.
2) Check that there is a MinimServer/etc/profiles folder containing one or more .profile files
3) If you have a MinimServer full license activated for this NAS, deactivate it
4) Uninstall MinimServer, choosing the option to save the configuration file
5) Uninstall Java
6) Install DSM 7
7) Install the DSM 7 version of MinimServer. This includes its own Java runtime, so the Synology Java package is no longer needed.
8) Make sure you have update 197 installed. If you don't, install it and relaunch MinimServer.
9) If you deactivated a full license in step 3, reactivate the license

You should now be back where you started.

Edit: changed the order of some of these steps.
Edit 2: updated these steps for update 196
Edit 3: updated these steps for update 197
(04-08-2021 21:54)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]You need to be careful when updating MinimServer to DSM 7 or you might lose important configuration settings. The following is the safest procedure for a Synology Intel-based NAS, starting from a working DSM 6 installation of MinimServer.

1) Make sure you have update 195 installed. If you don't, install it and relaunch MinimServer.
2) Check that there is a MinimServer/profiles folder containing one or more .profile files
3) If you have a MinimServer full license activated for this NAS, deactivate it
4) Uninstall MinimServer, choosing the option to save the configuration file
5) Uninstall Java
6) Install DSM 7
7) Install the DSM 7 version of MinimServer. This includes its own Java runtime, so the Synology Java package is no longer needed.
8) Make sure you have update 195 installed. If you don't, install it and relaunch MinimServer.
9) If you deactivated a full license in step 3, reactivate the license

You should now be back where you started.

Edit: changed the order of some of these steps.

Simon, when I launch Minimserver (the starter version) it shows "MinimServer 2.0.18 update 191, Copyright © 2012-2021 Simon Nash" I use a Synology DS716+ ("Compact yet powerful, DS716+ newly features an Intel® quad-core CPU"). I have not updated to DSM7 yet. When I go to the download page ( https://minimserver.com/downloads/) would I click on the 'Intel' link for DSM6 before I continue past step 1 (if I understand the above post correctly). Thx
You don't need to download anything for step 1. If you go to the DSM Package Center and stop and start MinimServer, this should automatically install update 195 if your NAS has an internet connection.

Alternatively, you can select About from MinimWatch, then 'Show updates'. This should give you the option to install update 195 and relaunch MinimServer.
Simon - already did the procedure noted in your first sentence. Minimserver still shows "MinimServer 2.0.18 update 191, Copyright © 2012-2021 Simon Nash" when it is opened up. Where is MinimWatch?
Simon - never mind - I figured it out. I now have update 195 installed and after I get stuff done later this week, I'll follow the above instructions in a week or so. As I tell a friend of mine who will ask me stuff (he actually upgraded to beyond the starter version after asking me questions - I'll get there at some point) - I'm an unsophisticated user of software. I get it installed and working and I do not use the features to the fullest potential. I just want to lauch my Lumin App and see my music. Most of the time, I use the folder view to play things (as the folders are arranged to my liking). The only other view I will use for the most part are the new albums (and probably listen to a few later). Thanks for the support. Much appreciated.
In case someone is like me (and unsophisticated and doesn't read what he should), I had to install Java on my (Windows PC) before installing MinimWatch on the PC. The info is here: https://minimserver.com/minimwatch.html#...erver%202. The link to download Java is here: https://minimserver.com/install-windows-...%20Windows

As soon as I did that the prompt (on the PC) came up for the update and it took seconds to do.
Hello Simon,

I followed the steps exactly as stated in your message from August 4th. But now I get the warning in red: Error listing profile files. And of course also the Minimwatch icon is red. What to do?
Which of the steps is giving this error message?
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's