MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Please help me start up with tags
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(06-08-2021 00:47)MiniMe Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds good, didn't find that yet in the tags available in my tagging software.

Here's a useful reference for all the common tags and how they map across the various formats. However, that's not to say that all tagging software exposes them.

You may have already seen it, but here's the MinimServer mapping.
(06-08-2021 00:47)MiniMe Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds good, didn't find that yet in the tags available in my tagging software.

You will need to add this as a custom/extended tag.
(06-08-2021 11:10)Alandbush Wrote: [ -> ]You will need to add this as a custom/extended tag.
Thanks.

edit:
Still slightly confused with how to set the properties in Minimserver so that both the Lumin app + the folder browsing into Minimserver get both the most convenient overview.

I am back at default settings, presentation is kind of Ok though the sorting of the [n] item lists is AZ on the track titles. I'd like to get these always sorted in the order of artist>album>disc#>track#, I'll try to do this via tagOptions: items.sortTags={albumartist,Album,DISCNUMBER,TRACKNUMBER} , but the key question is, what happens with the tracks that have only the track artist tagged and have an empty tag for the album artist?

I thought previously to resolve this with substituting via tagValue: AlbumArtist.default={Artist}. Was this assumed rightly? (it looks like it works though)

edit: oh and after a MinimServer rescan after changing the properties of indexing etc. Do I need to - in the lumen app - Reload the library, or is an Update of the library also fine? I use both methods when I think they're appropriate, but would obviously like to know the best.
I strongly recommend tagging TRACKNUMBER as 1 (or 01), 2 (or 02), etc. Any non-numeric value will cause the track number to be set to 0 and this will cause problems when sorting lists of tracks. You can add DISCNUMBER to maintain correct sorting for multidisc albums. If you have DISCNUMBER, you can also add DISCSUBTITLE which is used for presentation only and does not change the sort order.

If a tag listed in sortTags is not present in a file, the value is taken to be null and this value is sorted to the end of the list. You can prevent this from happening by giving the tag a suitable default value.
(06-08-2021 15:55)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ](A) I strongly recommend tagging TRACKNUMBER as 1 (or 01), 2 (or 02), etc. Any non-numeric value will cause the track number to be set to 0 and this will cause problems when sorting lists of tracks. You can add DISCNUMBER to maintain correct sorting for multidisc albums. If you have DISCNUMBER, you can also add DISCSUBTITLE which is used for presentation only and does not change the sort order.

(B) If a tag listed in sortTags is not present in a file, the value is taken to be null and this value is sorted to the end of the list. You can prevent this from happening by giving the tag a suitable default value.

(A) This approach confirmed and taken
(B) So I'd tag the AlbumArtist same as TrackArtist and not leave it blank.

Tagging seems never complete Smile
You can assign a default value to AlbumArtist by setting this in tagValue:

AlbumArtist.default={Artist}

As a general principle, doing things like this by a property setting is preferable to retagging. In this case, it preserves the information that this album has no album artist.
(06-08-2021 17:10)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]As a general principle, doing things like this by a property setting is preferable to retagging. In this case, it preserves the information that this album has no album artist.

Unless I'm mistaken, this only works if an album has a single track artist throughtout i.e. it does have an album artist ;-) It can't be used for compilations e.t.c. where 'Various Artists' is typically used.

I thought its use in this context was only to avoid duplication?
(06-08-2021 17:10)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]You can assign a default value to AlbumArtist by setting this in tagValue:

AlbumArtist.default={Artist}

As a general principle, doing things like this by a property setting is preferable to retagging. In this case, it preserves the information that this album has no album artist.

is tagValue = albumartist.default={artist} executed before tagOptions = items.sortTags={albumartist,Album,DISCNUMBER,TRACKNUMBER}
?
So that the tagValue property fills in the blanks when a albumartist is missing?
(06-08-2021 17:48)simbun Wrote: [ -> ]Unless I'm mistaken, this only works if an album has a single track artist throughtout i.e. it does have an album artist ;-) It can't be used for compilations e.t.c. where 'Various Artists' is typically used.

I think it screens tracks for the info. If it finds then multiple track artists which get substituted to album artists I don't expect double dips, but rather multiple smaller albums, i.e. one for each track artist = album artist. But that's a tagging error.

I read by the way on the mp3tag forum that it is good habit to fill the album artist always during tagging. ref: https://community.mp3tag.de/t/album-arti...st/12774/2

But we're not for nothing on Minimserver forum where database properties help out for efficiency!
(06-08-2021 17:51)MiniMe Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-08-2021 17:48)simbun Wrote: [ -> ]Unless I'm mistaken, this only works if an album has a single track artist throughtout i.e. it does have an album artist ;-) It can't be used for compilations e.t.c. where 'Various Artists' is typically used.

I think it screens tracks for the info. If it finds then multiple track artists which get substituted to album artists I don't expect double dips, but rather multiple smaller albums, i.e. one for each track artist = album artist. But that's a tagging error.

The behaviour I saw was that if there's more than one artist then AlbumArtist is null, or [unknown]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Reference URL's