MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Windows Firewall Confusion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Could someone please help with Window 10 firewall settings?

I've installed Minimserver today to use with mconnect. I can only see Minimserver if I turn the firewall off in Windows 10. I can't work out what settings I need to change in Windows 10 to let Minimserver through whilst leaving my firewall on.

I've seen in the Minimserver troubleshooting pages that the firewall should be set to allow inbound connections to Java but I can't see this in my firewall settings.

Please help!

Many thanks.
Please see this post for detailed instructions.

Also, as it says in the referenced post, you need to make sure your Windows network type is private, not public.
(27-04-2021 15:14)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]Please see this post for detailed instructions.

Also, as it says in the referenced post, you need to make sure your Windows network type is private, not public.

Hi,

Thanks very much for your reply.

I have followed the instructions but cannot see Java listed in the Inbound Rules.

Java is installed, the Minimserver server is running and the icon is green in the system tray. It works when the firewall is turned off.

My network is set to Private.

I have attached a screenshot to check whether I am looking in the right place.

Thanks.
What version of Java do you have installed? It might not be shown under J but under some other letter. For example, if it is OpenJDK (or Oracle Java), it might be under O.
(27-04-2021 17:28)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]What version of Java do you have installed? It might not be shown under J but under some other letter. For example, if it is OpenJDK (or Oracle Java), it might be under O.

JAVA Version 8 update 291

It is listing in the Start Menu under 'J' if that is relevant?

There is nothing in the Firewall list under 'O' either.

If minimserver is working with the firewall off, does this mean Java has installed correctly?

Do you have any other suggestions as I've don't know whether else to go with this and I would really like to get minimserver working.
Try clicking on the Name column header to be sure the entries are sorted correctly. On my Windows 10 machine, OpenJDK was shown at the start of the list before I did this. As a last resort, go through the complete list carefully looking for "Java", "JDK" or JRE".
(27-04-2021 18:08)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]Try clicking on the Name column header to be sure the entries are sorted correctly. On my Windows 10 machine, OpenJDK was shown at the start of the list before I did this. As a last resort, go through the complete list carefully looking for "Java", "JDK" or JRE".

Hi,

I've been through the whole list and it is not included.

If I uninstall Java and reinstall in it to see if I can get it to show, could that stop minimserver working?

Regards, Daniel.
It sounds like something went wrong when you installed Java. I suggest you try uninstalling Java and reinstalling it. This should not cause any problems for MinimServer. Did you get Java from the java.com download page?
Reference URL's