MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Java on Synology
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm setting up a small 1 bay Synology 112+. I did a google search on Java and found this page:

http://missilehugger.com/556/java-package/

This package has a 1-click Java installation. It will download it's own Java binary and does the whole installation in 1 click! No need to manually go to Oracle.com, find the right Java binary, create an account, sign-in on Oracle, download the Java binary, put the Java binary under Public folder on Synology, then finally run the "install" program to install Java...

But, this 1-click Java package does not work with MinimServer! Sad

It'd be so much easier (IMO) for non-technical user to use this 1-click Java package with MinimServer. Maybe MinimServer can support this Java too! Smile

[attachment=181]
[attachment=182]
[attachment=183]
(07-05-2013 05:41)psme Wrote: [ -> ]I'm setting up a small 1 bay Synology 112+. I did a google search on Java and found this page:

http://missilehugger.com/556/java-package/

This package has a 1-click Java installation. It will download it's own Java binary and does the whole installation in 1 click! No need to manually go to Oracle.com, find the right Java binary, create an account, sign-in on Oracle, download the Java binary, put the Java binary under Public folder on Synology, then finally run the "install" program to install Java...

But, this 1-click Java package does not work with MinimServer! Sad

It'd be so much easier (IMO) for non-technical user to use this 1-click Java package with MinimServer. Maybe MinimServer can support this Java too! Smile

Your linked package does not properly set up Java, because it does not define the $JAVA_HOME environment variable. That's why MinimServer does not recognize it. As compared with the package from patters, this one is very basic and it seems to do some odd things (e.g. it is startable).

Moreover, it is not legal to redistribute the Oracle Java binaries, like this package does. To be legally compliant, there is no way around registering with Oracle and manually downloading the Java binaries.

I do not recommend downloading and/or installing the package from above.
Thanks for the explanation! Too bad there is not an easier way doing it! IMO installing MinimServer is quite easy. It the Java package that some users are having trouble with...
(07-05-2013 11:10)winxi Wrote: [ -> ]Moreover, it is not legal to redistribute the Oracle Java binaries, like this package does. To be legally compliant, there is no way around registering with Oracle and manually downloading the Java binaries.

I do not recommend downloading and/or installing the package from above.

I agree. At present, there is unfortunately no way round this inconvenience. I hope at some point there will be a simple installation package from either Oracle or OpenJDK that is legally compliant, works correctly and has good performance.
Reference URL's