MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Limits for accessing Minimserver
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Dear Community,

is it possible to regulate the accesses for my mediaserver, that only my PC, Streamer and mobile devices are able to "see" the server and play the music?
I think i may can regulate the accesses by turning the firewall of my NAS on. Afterwards i can limit the access by opening the ports only for my devices (IP adresses) for the protocolls (UPnP, DLNA).

I figured out UPnP is 1900 and the "Synology DLNA server used TCP ports 50001 and 50002". But idk. if 50001 & -2 are for the Synology specific server or something else?! And "minimServer has a setting for the tcp port number to use, default is 9790"

So do you know if its a) possible and b) which ports are used for the processes / minimserver that i can set my firewall up?

Greetings!
To create a Synology firewall rule to allow access to MinimServer from a specific device, create a new firewall rule and choose 'Select from a list of built-in applications'. Scroll down the list of applications until you find two entries for 'MinimServer UPnP media server'. Check both these entries and this will open the ports that you need.
(06-02-2021 17:45)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]To create a Synology firewall rule to allow access to MinimServer from a specific device, create a new firewall rule and choose 'Select from a list of built-in applications'. Scroll down the list of applications until you find two entries for 'MinimServer UPnP media server'. Check both these entries and this will open the ports that you need.

Sadly there is not entry in my case. Is it UPnP IGD (55001, 55002)?
How did you install MinimServer 2 on your Synology NAS? Someone else has had the same issue and I would like to find out what is causing it. Also, what version of DSM are you running?
(06-02-2021 18:15)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]How did you install MinimServer 2 on your Synology NAS? Someone else has had the same issue and I would like to find out what is causing it. Also, what version of DSM are you running?

I got it from your?! Website. Current version is DSM 6.2.3... Is there a solution? Smile
I have found the sequence of events that causes this. It does not happen if you download MinimServer from the MinimServer website and install it. It does happen if you install MinimServer from the Synology Package Center and a previous version of MinimServer is currently installed.

To work around this issue, you can uninstall MinimServer (select the option to save the configuration file) and install it again from the Package Center.
(06-02-2021 18:46)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]I have found the sequence of events that causes this. It does not happen if you download MinimServer from the MinimServer website and install it. It does happen if you install MinimServer from the Synology Package Center and a previous version of MinimServer is currently installed.

To work around this issue, you can uninstall MinimServer (select the option to save the configuration file) and install it again from the Package Center.

Here we go it works by reinstalling it from the package center! Big thumps Simon! AND thats a way to regulate it for the CPs. I tested it by blocking it completely (not shown in the streaming app on my Phone) and after opening it only for my Phone (IP of the phone) it showed up again!
Only interesting thing is/was also before turning the firewall on, the minimserver sometimes shows automatically up in my explorer and sometimes not?!
There is a fix in MinimServer update 183 for this problem of missing firewall rules. The first time you start MinimServer after installing this update, the MinimServer firewall rules will be added if they are not already there.
Same question here. But for Windows. I live in a busy house with many others. Everyone has their own renderers and libraries. To make things a bit clearer, I don't want my library (Minimserver on Windows 11) to be visible to everyone. I want to add rules in the firewall of Windows that ensure that my Minimserver is only visible or accessible for my own devices. Which rule should I add where?

Thanks, Hans
I don't think this is possible using firewall rules. The UPnP discovery protocol sends multicast messages to all devices on the local subnet. You would need to create a separate subnet or VLAN for your own private use and configure MinimServer and MinimWatch to use this subnet or VLAN. I haven't tried this myself.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's