MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Can not find/very slow to find Minimsever on mConnect
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

I have installed the Minimserver on my Synology NAS 918+, and also Minimwatch on my Win 10 laptop.

I mainly use mConnect together with Minimserver on my iPhone X, however, on this phone, it alwsy has problem to find Minimserver or it takes very long. It is pretty fast for mConnect to find the NAs where Minimserver is installed.

I also tried mConnect on other iOS devices, like my iPad and iPhone SE. It works fine there.

Any idea what went wrong with this situation?

BTW, the mConnect and Minimserver are all paid versions.

Thank you,

Peter
How long does it take for mConnect to find MinimServer on the iPhone X? 2 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, longer?

Are you running any other apps on the iPhone X that might be interfering in some way with the discovery process?

If you power the iPhone X off and on again and just start mConnect with no other apps running, does that help?
(20-09-2020 12:03)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]How long does it take for mConnect to find MinimServer on the iPhone X? 2 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, longer?

Are you running any other apps on the iPhone X that might be interfering in some way with the discovery process?

If you power the iPhone X off and on again and just start mConnect with no other apps running, does that help?

Hello Simon,

Thank you for your quick response.

The time to find Minimserver varies, sometime 5 minutes, and sometime never can. I just tried about 30 minutes ago and I found Minimserver still can not be found. However, when I power off the phone and turn on again, it works very well, both the streamer and Minimserver are found immediately.

So I think you are right that some apps running on the phone may interfere with the discovery process. But as I run many apps on my phone, any idea which kind of apps may interfere with mConnect?

Thank you very much,

Peter
Any apps that is network-related might possibly cause this. The only way to find out is by a process of elimination. Start with no other apps, then add apps until the problem occurs. Alternatively (probably better), start with all apps running and then remove apps one by one until the problem goes away.

Does stopping and restarting mConnect (without powering off the phone) fix the problem?

When the problem occurs, is MinimServer already running when you start mConnect or is it the other way round?
After I reboot my phone and found Minimserver successfully, right after startup, now it did not work again. It can not find the Minimserver but can find the streamer.

I tried the following to duplicate the bug
1. Remove all the other apps and refresh mConnect again, same phenomenum.
2. Quit mConnect and start again, remains the same. And now only mConnect is running on my phone.
3. Shut down my phone and start mConnect again, it can find both streamer and Minimserver successfully, like yesterday.
4. I have doubt that Youtube maybe the app to cause the problem, so I open Youtube and watch one video for two seconds. After quit Youtube and restart mConnect, the problem occurs.
5. Killed Youtube and restart mConnect, same problem reamins.

6. Then I rescan MinimServer on Minimwatch, mConnect works fine now.
7. Run Youtube again likve 4, even worse now. Can not find streamer and Minimserver
8. Rescan using MinimWatch, it doesn't work, no streamer and Minimserver found
9. Restart by using MinimWatch, streamer found but no Minimserver

I confirm there is no other apps run besides mConnect and Youtube. And in all the refreshes above, mConnect can find other devices on my network, like Sonos players, NAS and Android TV boxes, , but not Minimserver.

And my MinimServer is always before I start mConnect.

Youtube?
(21-09-2020 11:06)pg99 Wrote: [ -> ]After I reboot my phone and found Minimserver successfully, right after startup, now it did not work again. It can not find the Minimserver but can find the streamer.

2. Quit mConnect and start again, remains the same. And now only mConnect is running on my phone.
3. Shut down my phone and start mConnect again, it can find both streamer and Minimserver successfully, like yesterday.
4. I have doubt that Youtube maybe the app to cause the problem, so I open Youtube and watch one video for two seconds. After quit Youtube and restart mConnect, the problem occurs.

7. Run Youtube again likve 4, even worse now. Can not find streamer and Minimserver

I confirm there is no other apps run besides mConnect and Youtube. And in all the refreshes above, mConnect can find other devices on my network, like Sonos players, NAS and Android TV boxes, , but not Minimserver.

Youtube?
Just an idea .... do you have personal hotspot enabled on iPhone X?
Hi pg99
I obviously do not know the details of your system and it all sounds very frustrating, but

I have used Minim for a long time on a NAS and a Melco, and tried most apps which will run on iPhone or iPad.
I assure you that unless you are very technical (I'm not) networks are a black art.

I have had periods when things suddenly decide to disappear and seem to follow no logic about what went wrong.

What I have found is that audio networks especially control points using wifi do need a good wifi signal.
If I had your problem I would be looking at the following sorts of things.
1) Your Router - I once had a Virgin Superhub (2 I think) that was totally hopeless with control points. When I put it in Modem mode and got a separate Router, all was fine.
2) It also took me a while to be mindful of my neighbours' signals. On a Mac you can use Fing in free mode to find clear channels. It is a bit like a crude spectrum analyser. iStumber does a better job but I gather it may not now be free. This can really make a difference. Find a clear channel.
3) Also if your wifi has 5GHz as well as 2.4GHz. Try the one you are not hooked up to.

I hope some of this helps until an expert comes along.....

Donuk beautiful downtown York
(21-09-2020 11:28)stefano_mbp Wrote: [ -> ]
(21-09-2020 11:06)pg99 Wrote: [ -> ]After I reboot my phone and found Minimserver successfully, right after startup, now it did not work again. It can not find the Minimserver but can find the streamer.

Youtube?
Just an idea .... do you have personal hotspot enabled on iPhone X?

I found my hotspot is on but switched it off, but it did not work. Thank you anyway
(21-09-2020 11:44)Donuk Wrote: [ -> ]Hi pg99
I obviously do not know the details of your system and it all sounds very frustrating, but

I have used Minim for a long time on a NAS and a Melco, and tried most apps which will run on iPhone or iPad.
I assure you that unless you are very technical (I'm not) networks are a black art.

I have had periods when things suddenly decide to disappear and seem to follow no logic about what went wrong.

What I have found is that audio networks especially control points using wifi do need a good wifi signal.
If I had your problem I would be looking at the following sorts of things.
1) Your Router - I once had a Virgin Superhub (2 I think) that was totally hopeless with control points. When I put it in Modem mode and got a separate Router, all was fine.
2) It also took me a while to be mindful of my neighbours' signals. On a Mac you can use Fing in free mode to find clear channels. It is a bit like a crude spectrum analyser. iStumber does a better job but I gather it may not now be free. This can really make a difference. Find a clear channel.
3) Also if your wifi has 5GHz as well as 2.4GHz. Try the one you are not hooked up to.

I hope some of this helps until an expert comes along.....

Donuk beautiful downtown York

Hello Donuk,

Thank you for all your advices. Before I follow up with your instructions, I run further testing, with some new findings. It's working fine for me, I'll write another reply to allow more users to benefit from my finders.
.... sure?
I did try with my iPhone (7/iOS 14) and with hotspot enabled it was impossible for MConnect to discover MinimServer, disabled hotspot, restarted MConnect and it discovered MinimServer again ....
Hotspot enabled is reported as an upnp discovery issue.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's