MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Gapless playback and transcoding
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I am trying to achieve gapless playback on my Naim Qute and having searched around I found that it may be connected to the transcoding.
My music is stored as flac and I am currently transcoding to wav at 96hz, which produces a gap on replay.
If I take out the transcoding, it streams at 44hz, but no gap.

I understand that wav files are preferable, but if I can only achieve gapless playback eg live albums, by using flac, I would like to stream at 96hz.

I have tried various transcoding paths, such as flac;96, but these result in an error message.

Thanks for any help.
What device are you using to run MinimServer?

This problem can be caused by a short delay before the transcoded track starts streaming. Some renderers don't start streaming the next track soon enough before the previous track ends to allow for this. If you are running MinimServer on a low-powered device, this can increase the delay.
Hi, it is a QNAP ts212, so that may be part, or all of the problem as you suggest.
I think the TS212 is related to the problem. This has a processor that doesn't support floating-point arithmetic, so transcoding will be slower.
Thanks very much for your reply, which will help save me time and effort in keep Searching for an answer,

If I can’t get it to be gapless with the transcoding to wav, is there a way I can get it to stream at 96hz with the native flac files?

Wav is supposed to be better for the Naim, so it will be a trade-off, particularly as I find the flac files easy to manage the art.
MinimServer cannot transcode FLAC to FLAC. Even if it could, this would require more CPU power than transcoding FLAC to WAV because the FLAC would need to be unpacked to linear PCM (effectively the same as WAV), then transcoded, then repacked to FLAC.

Why is it important for you to transcode to 96 kHz? Most DACs upsample before converting digital to analogue. Have you done any comparisons using offline conversion of the same 44.1 kHz FLAC file to both 44.1 kHz WAV and 96 kHz WAV?
Reference URL's