MinimServer Forum

Full Version: limit offered albums by a tag..?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I may have a common issue, but I did not see the obvious solution...

At home I have a lot of Music from different family members, partially also having the same albums from different family members.
What I would need, is to have each family member being offered its own collection of Music albums, not all together, what is much too much, esp. for the elder family members.
Separating by file folders is not very straight forward, as e.g. partially there are the same albums.

The best would be, to give each album or music file a tag, to which family member it should be offered as choice, and then start for each of them an own minimserver, indexing only the music files with their individual family tag.

Is there a way? and how to configure the minimserver indexing for this, so that every family member can only browse through its albums..?

Thank you!
As you say, the solution is to create a tag (choose any name for this) that can have one or more values representing the family members who want to view this music. For example, the tag could be named Person and the values of this tag could be John, Jane, Jack and Jill.

If you add Person as the first tag in indexTags, the top-level menu will show a Person choice with values John, Jane, Jack and Jill. If Jane is selected, the next menu will show just the files in Jane's library, and likewise for the other names. This scheme allows the same file to appear in multiple people's libraries with no need for duplicate copies of the file.
Thanks a lot! I will give it a try.
I gave it a try, but it only works partially as expected, or I got from your description. I added the "Person" tag to my files.
- one part got the value "John"
- the rest got "John, Martin"

When rescanning and restarting the minimserver, I get the Person choice with exactly this two entries. What I would prefer are the two choices "John" and "Martin" separtely.
When choosing "John", I would want to get the files offered with the tag values "John", but also "John, Martin".
Choosing "Martin", then the files with the tag value "John, Martin" shoud be offered.

Is there a way to get there..?

Thank you!
Entering "John, Martin" for the Person tag produces a single value of "John, Martin". For this to work correctly, you need to create two Person tag values "John" and "Martin".

Different tagging programs have different ways of doing this. Which tagging program are you using and what is the format of your files (FLAC, MP3, AAC, WAV, etc.)?
I'm using MP3Tag together with flac and mp3 files.

I'm curious how this works....

Ok, googling around I just realized, that I can add the same tag with another value in mp3tag...
Now this works. This adds a new dimension to my tagging I wasn't aware before :-O
short question: in Linn Kazoo I miss after some reconfigurations of the minimserver the alphabetical slider on the right. How to get this back in albums view..?
This slider only appears if the list is in strict alphabetical order.
ahhhh.... Thanks for explanation here. Good to know that I did not "destroy" it by configuration work, but this follows an inner logic...
Reference URL's