MinimServer Forum

Full Version: DSD Files: audio/x-dsf vs. audio/dsd MIME type (was Add DLNA.ORG_PN parameter)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Minimserver parses and indexes correctly tags of .dsf audio files (DSD format) and sends to UPnP browser. Though, with some stricter endpoints (tested on Sony STR-DN1070), all DSF files are missing in the displayed media list. When debugging the issue I discovered that DLNA.ORG_PN parameter is missing in the DIDL-Lite response for that file type:


===
propName=logLevel propValue=trace
...
... protocolInfo="http-get:*:audio/x-dsf:DLNA.ORG_OP=01;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=01700000000000000000000000000000" ...
===


DLNA guideline states:
===
The pn-param (DLNA.ORG_PN) is the only required parameter for DLNA Media Format Profiles. All
other parameters and flags are optional for the syntax.
===

I understand that DSD/DSF is missing from DLNA standard, but seemingly at least some capable devices expect to have that header to conform to protocol spec.
Some other servers are sending

===
protocolInfo="http-get:*:audio/dsd:DLNA.ORG_PN=DSF;DLNA.ORG_OP=01;DLNA.ORG_CI=0;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=01500000000000000000000000000000"
===

and that works flawlessly on Sony mid-range semi-fresh hardware.

Please consider fixing, should be fairly easy!!

Thanks!
(12-04-2018 12:26)witom Wrote: [ -> ]DLNA.ORG_PN

Now looking a bit more into this I realize that I may have been missing the root cause of the problem. Fetching the GetProtocolInfo from STR-DN1070 i see that it reports only audio/dsd and audio/x-dsd MIME types, not audio/x-dsf as minimserver is assigning... So the issue is probably in MIME type, not DLNA.ORG_PN parameter. I probably should change the Subject: of the thread.
I think it is the mismatch in MIME types that is causing the problem with the STR-DN1070.

Unfortunately there is no standard MIME type for DSF files. The following have been used by various servers and renderers:

audio/dsd
audio/x-dsd
audio/dsf
audio/x-dsf

and for DFF files:

audio/dsd
audio/x-dsd
audio/dff
audio/x-dff

Some servers provide an option to change the MIME type that the server sends and I will look into the possibility of adding this support in a future version of MinimServer.

I don't think MininServer should add DLNA.ORG_PN=DSF as this violates the DLNA specification and might cause problems with some DLNA-compliant renderers. MinimServer is currently sending DLNA.ORG_PN for all filetypes that are defined by DLNA.
(13-04-2018 11:45)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]I think it is the mismatch in MIME types that is causing the problem with the STR-DN1070.

Unfortunately there is no standard MIME type for DSF files. The following have been used by various servers and renderers:

audio/dsd
audio/x-dsd
audio/dsf
audio/x-dsf

and for DFF files:

audio/dsd
audio/x-dsd
audio/dff
audio/x-dff

Some servers provide an option to change the MIME type that the server sends and I will look into the possibility of adding this support in a future version of MinimServer.

I don't think MininServer should add DLNA.ORG_PN=DSF as this violates the DLNA specification and might cause problems with some DLNA-compliant renderers. MinimServer is currently sending DLNA.ORG_PN for all filetypes that are defined by DLNA.

Hi there,

Any idea on when you will get a chance to implement this?

I have a Panasonic Blu-ray player that can decode dsf files as DSD via DLNA over the network, however my Sony AV receiver cannot and I think it is due to this very issue.

I imagine it is due to the Sony using the x-dsd and x-dff MIME types, where as the Panasonic uses dsd and dsf.

The Panasonic is hooked up to a Sony DN-1080, however I would like to test the playback on the Sony receiver directly and bypass the Panasonic altogether.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
The next MinimServer update will add support for an option to set custom MIME types for DSF and DFF files. This will enable you to determine whether this issue with the Sony renderer is caused by a MIME type mismatch or something else.
(19-07-2018 20:42)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]The next MinimServer update will add support for an option to set custom MIME types for DSF and DFF files. This will enable you to determine whether this issue with the Sony renderer is caused by a MIME type mismatch or something else.

Nice one, thanks for that.
If anyone with a Sony renderer would like to try a test build with this new feature, please send me a PM (do not post here).
MinimServer update 124 enables the user to set custom MIME types for DSF and DFF files. See this section for more information about this update.
Reference URL's