MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Please help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Id probably pay someone a small amount to help me set up my minimserver. I'm using Twonky atm but its not really fully customisable, which I think Minimserver is.

I'm trying it on a PC first, but providing it does what I need I will then put it on a QNAP NAS or possibly one of the Melco ones.

Basically I want the first list to have 'Album Artist' (a list of all artist who have albums, which then goes to further folders of those albums, not just a whole long list of tracks), 'Singles' (Cd singles or where Ive downloaded a single track online etc and I don't want artist names cluttering up the Album artist folder), 'Artist' (a list of all artists for the odd occasion I search this way), 'Compilations' (of all compilation albums).

Then Id like some of the smart functions to make selections between Hi res or CD quality (or lower eg MP3), then from this by album/album artist/genre/artist etc. And also ability to select between Genres which could be in the main list above. I also like the idea of browsing recently uploaded albums (and being able to change how many are in the list)

Is this actually possible, and would someone help me do this. I'm not a techie and don't know how I can make changes to minimserver. It would be very difficult for me to do this.
Nice to know what you want. Big Grin

However, you may well have to carefully choose other products to work with Minimserver to achieve your desires.

Selection of an appropriate control point is important because not all behave in the same way even when served by the same data from Minimserver. Of course, I’m assuming that you are not tied down to a specific controller already.

A Tagger will probably also be necessary for some of the mentioned options. Again, not all offer the same functions.

Having said all that, I believe most of what you request is already available from Minimserver. The exceptions, I think, are ‘Singles’ and track quality. They would probably require the setting of specific tags in order for Minimserver to present them correctly to the appropriate controller.
Happy to be corrected if someone has achieved this more simply.

This may all seem daunting, at first, but I’m sure it will become less so as you gain understanding.
Track quality and format is possible using the special tags #AudioFormat (FLAC/MP3 etc), #AudioData (Sample rate/bit depth) and #AudioQuality (HD/CD+/CD/LC).
You could possibly do compilations by indexing on the Compilation tag?
Singles would probably need a special tag which can then be included in the indexTags, unfortunately there isn't a "number of tracks" tag so you need a way to distinguish one-track albums (which is how any server would think of it) from others.
The rest is doable but it is dependent on getting the tagging right first, then configuring Minim accordingly.
(10-03-2018 07:26)timster Wrote: [ -> ]Track quality and format is possible using the special tags #AudioFormat (FLAC/MP3 etc), #AudioData (Sample rate/bit depth) and #AudioQuality (HD/CD+/CD/LC).

Of course, thanks for the tip. Haven’t felt the need to use it so far.

More thoughts on identifying Singles.

If the “Track No” tag used the ‘Track No/Total’ form (eg. 01/01) then this could be identified as a single. Also, some Taggers (Jaikoz and probably Song Kong) offer a “Track Total” tag.
(10-03-2018 13:00)Alandbush Wrote: [ -> ]If the “Track No” tag used the ‘Track No/Total’ form (eg. 01/01) then this could be identified as a single. Also, some Taggers (Jaikoz and probably Song Kong) offer a “Track Total” tag.
Yes SongKong does, but more than that both Jaikoz and Songkong have a release type field that actaully stores if a release is an album, single, E.P ectera.

So you could configure MinimServer to browse by this field
(10-03-2018 13:00)Alandbush Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-03-2018 07:26)timster Wrote: [ -> ]Track quality and format is possible using the special tags #AudioFormat (FLAC/MP3 etc), #AudioData (Sample rate/bit depth) and #AudioQuality (HD/CD+/CD/LC).

Of course, thanks for the tip. Haven’t felt the need to use it so far.

More thoughts on identifying Singles.

If the “Track No” tag used the ‘Track No/Total’ form (eg. 01/01) then this could be identified as a single. Also, some Taggers (Jaikoz and probably Song Kong) offer a “Track Total” tag.

That may have consequences on some control points display of track number ending up 01/01 etc. And I'm not sure, but if tags have an associated type (eg. numeric as opposed to alphanumeric) it could cause errors?
(10-03-2018 13:50)timster Wrote: [ -> ]That may have consequences on some control points display of track number ending up 01/01 etc. And I'm not sure, but if tags have an associated type (eg. numeric as opposed to alphanumeric) it could cause errors?
I dont think so since for ID3 formats (Wav, Aif, mp3) the TRCK field officially supports TrackNo/Total that is how it is meant to be used.

For Flac/Ogg there are seperate fields for TRACKNO and TRACKTOTAL
(10-03-2018 14:48)paultaylor Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-03-2018 13:50)timster Wrote: [ -> ]That may have consequences on some control points display of track number ending up 01/01 etc. And I'm not sure, but if tags have an associated type (eg. numeric as opposed to alphanumeric) it could cause errors?
I dont think so since for ID3 formats (Wav, Aif, mp3) the TRCK field officially supports TrackNo/Total that is how it is meant to be used.

For Flac/Ogg there are sepertae fields for TRACKNO and TRACKTOTAl

I've only ever seen reference to TRACK. Neither of those are listed as supported tags in Tag&Rename, mp3Tag or dbPoweramp.
(10-03-2018 15:02)timster Wrote: [ -> ]I've only ever seen reference to TRACK. Neither of those are listed as supported tags in Tag&Rename, mp3Tag or dbPoweramp.
The fieldnamesdisplayed in MP3Tag ectera are not generally the dame as the underlying fieldname (which varies depending on format).

But anyway the clients just receive the data sent to them by the UpNP server (i.e MinimServer) so as long as you configure MinimServer correctly (which does understand tracksnos and tracktotals as two different things) there is no issue.
I was just trying to think of a way to run a batch job to add the tracktotal, or even if it could be done automatically by Songkong/Jaikoz? The OP would probably need to do something like that for his requirement.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's