MinimServer Forum

Full Version: De-duplicating on Synology DS412+
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Newbie here and p'haps a bit dim! Big Grin

OK - I have approx 800 albums on a DS412+, feeding Linn Kazoo, playing through Linn DS Magik.

My issue is that, what with compilations, best ofs, MP3 back ups of FLAC or vice versa, quite a lot of my music is duplicated or even triplicated.

What this means is, I might select an album and then find each song showing 2 or 3 times in the playlist.

I have in the past just deleted the dupes from the playlist, but of course that's a pain when you simply want to select, play and enjoy.

Can MinimServer help and if so, is the initial de-duping still laborious and time consuming?

Thanks in advance for help!

Lin
It sounds like your library isn't particularly well organised.
Your best bet would be to move your "backup" MP3s/FLACs to a separate directory (perhaps called "backup") from the one Minim scans.
As for compilation albums etc., such is the way. There will be duplicate tracks, but if they are tagged correctly they will appear as separate albums.
(08-03-2018 10:57)timster Wrote: [ -> ]It sounds like your library isn't particularly well organised.
Your best bet would be to move your "backup" MP3s/FLACs to a separate directory (perhaps called "backup") from the one Minim scans.
As for compilation albums etc., such is the way. There will be duplicate tracks, but if they are tagged correctly they will appear as separate albums.

Thanks for that - correct, I never organised it. I sent the CDs off to be bulk ripped to the NAS. Stuff I've added since is by the odd disc, amazon MP3 dowloads and iTunes.

Argh - what a mess.

Know of a cure all program that scans the lot and asks me how many/which version I wish to keep?

"Come on (Let the good times roll)" is one of my favourite tracks. Just not 5 times in a row!
(08-03-2018 11:39)linleyw Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-03-2018 10:57)timster Wrote: [ -> ]It sounds like your library isn't particularly well organised.

Thanks for that - correct, I never organised it. I sent the CDs off to be bulk ripped to the NAS. Stuff I've added since is by the odd disc, amazon MP3 dowloads and iTunes.

Argh - what a mess.

Know of a cure all program that scans the lot and asks me how many/which version I wish to keep?

"Come on (Let the good times roll)" is one of my favourite tracks. Just not 5 times in a row!

I only know of the De-Dup facility in dBPoweramp's PerfectTunes, but I have no idea how it works or what it does:
https://www.dbpoweramp.com/perfecttunes.htm
I only know of the De-Dup facility in dBPoweramp's PerfectTunes, but I have no idea how it works or what it does:
[/quote]

I have it, but can't seem to find the NAS through it..
(08-03-2018 12:06)linleyw Wrote: [ -> ]I only know of the De-Dup facility in dBPoweramp's PerfectTunes, but I have no idea how it works or what it does:

I have it, but can't seem to find the NAS through it..
[/quote]

You'd need to have a network share/network drive set up on your PC that points to your NAS music directory.
You'd need to have a network share/network drive set up on your PC that points to your NAS music directory.
[/quote]

Like this?

[attachment=1517]
OK, so I've managed to locate the Z: music folder through the DB PowerAmp De-Dup program, scanning 12938 tracks right now, BUT can't locate that same Z: folder through Asset UPnP, so presumably I'll be de-duping and unable to locate the finished item?

only 33hrs remaining on the scan lol
Be careful with the de-duplication function in PerfectTunes. The way it works is it will find duplicate songs and giving you the option to delete the duplicate.

So, if you have "We will rock you" on for example "Queen: greatest hits" and "News of the World", then it will find a duplicate and remove it. Of course, that means one of the two albums now no longer has a complete list of songs in its folder on the drive. So, the de-duplication feature is really much more for people who listen to songs rather than albums and who are somewhat tight on disk space.

Or you could have all the songs in a single folder and use playlists to represent the albums. But in that case you would do away with album art (after all, in the above example, which album cover would you show when playing We Will Rock You? The FLAC can only contain one embedded front-cover image.) and you'd need to decide what to do with special versions (single-cut on a collection album or from the CD single versus the album version). Also, it is just a different way of doing what needs to be done: organise your music files.

If I were you, I'd go through the trouble of organising your songs and applying the correct metadata (MP3Tag is a good Windows and Linux programme to do this with). And then you'll also find that building playlists and keeping songs separate becomes easier.
Promoting my own solution but since you asked may be of interest - http://www.jthink.net/songkong/duplicates.jsp
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's