MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Can we mimic OpenHome/DNLA on PC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
As I understand it unlike Linn Kinsky the newer Linn Kazoo will only work if it it can find an OpenHome renderer, can I mimic this on a PC so that I can use Linn Kazoo which is a bit prettier than Linn Kinsky.
There is an OpenHome player for Windows. See this page.
(22-02-2018 23:35)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]There is an OpenHome player for Windows. See this page.

Just out of curiosity I installed this.
Kazoo (Windows and IOS) doesn't "see" Openhome player.
(22-02-2018 23:59)Peter StreamMagic Wrote: [ -> ]Just out of curiosity I installed this ... Kazoo (Windows and IOS) doesn't "see" Openhome player.

The Windows Store (i.e. current) version of Kazoo does not see OpenHome Player running on the same machine, but will see the player running on another device on the network. The Linn team have told me that this is a result of a 'feature' of Windows Store apps, and is not fixable. Kinsky does not have this limitation.

BubbleDS and Kazoo on Android see the OpenHome player. By default , the name of the running instance of the player is shown as <COMPUTER NAME> SoftPlayer in the Control point. Linn Konfig can also be used to change settings in the player.

I like the OpenHome Player. Together with Kazoo or Kinsky and MinimServer, it can be used, at no cost, to build a working OpenHome system on a network, which is a great way of making sure that all the infrastructure is working properly before one commits to the purchase of an expensive streamer.

David
You can install the BubbleUPnP-Server. This can be configured as a openhome-proxy for any UPnP-streamer in the network. So it mimics an openhome streamer that indeed controls your real streamer.
(24-02-2018 15:04)tarnkappe Wrote: [ -> ]You can install the BubbleUPnP-Server. This can be configured as a openhome-proxy for any UPnP-streamer in the network. So it mimics an openhome streamer that indeed controls your real streamer.
I do own a StreamMagic 6 UPnP renderer and installed BubbleUPnP -Server today.
Kazoo and Lumin where able to control the SM6 with exception of volume control.
XBMC installed on my PC is also recognised as an openhome renderer (not on same PC) having the the same problem unable to control volume.
Does anyone recognise this problem?
What I want to do is simply to be able to run Kazoo on a PC so I can demonstrate the results of a nicely configured MinimServer with decent metadata provided by SongKong running on the same PC. Kazoo looks nicer than Kinsky, if there is something for PC that looks better than Kazoo I could use that instead.

I dont actually need to play any music and I want it to work even if the PC is standalone not on a network. It doesnt seem the solutions listed above would work in this case ?
(26-02-2018 11:56)paultaylor Wrote: [ -> ]What I want to do is simply to be able to run Kazoo on a PC so I can demonstrate the results of a nicely configured MinimServer with decent metadata provided by SongKong running on the same PC. Kazoo looks nicer than Kinsky, if there is something for PC that looks better than Kazoo I could use that instead.

Kazoo needs to find a player (or 'room') to function. The Windows Store (i.e. current) version will not 'see' the OpenHome player when it is running on the same computer. However, you can download an older version of Kazoo (intended to versions of Windows prior to Windows 8) from here. As I understand it (I can't try it on my systems), this version does not have the same problem in accessing OpenHome Player. Note that, even when running on the same device, the server, renderer and control point will still use the OpenHome/UPnP AV protocols to communicate, so the Windows computer will, I think, need to have networking enabled and in particular have a network name. IIRC, this happens by default and so will probably not be an issue.

David
(26-02-2018 11:56)paultaylor Wrote: [ -> ]What I want to do is simply to be able to run Kazoo on a PC so I can demonstrate the results of a nicely configured MinimServer with decent metadata provided by SongKong running on the same PC. Kazoo looks nicer than Kinsky, if there is something for PC that looks better than Kazoo I could use that instead.

I dont actually need to play any music and I want it to work even if the PC is standalone not on a network. It doesnt seem the solutions listed above would work in this case ?

Not possible, unless you run the OpenHome renderer (mimicked or real) in a virtual machine on the PC, such that the virtual machine connects to the network with a different IP address to the PC's, but on the same subnet.

Why can't you just run the OpenHome renderer on another (real) machine on the network? For example, the BubbleUPnP Android app can be configured to be an OpenHome renderer - just simply run it on a phone connected to the same network as the PC.
(26-02-2018 15:29)Cebolla Wrote: [ -> ]Why can't you just run the OpenHome renderer on another (real) machine on the network? For example, the BubbleUPnP Android app can be configured to be an OpenHome renderer - just simply run it on a phone connected to the same network as the PC.
Thats fine at home/office but I may not have access to a network other situations , it is frustrating that I cannot just have it all working on a single PC.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's