MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Problem seeing imported files on Naim app
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I've recently started using MinimServer through my Naim App to stream files from my Synology DS216j to my Naim NDX.

I've had great problems getting all my files on the NAS using Synology's File Station so as an experiment I tried a simple 'drag and drop' of one album from my computer to the Minimserver folder under the shared drive SynologyDS216j. The files are now showing in this folder but they don't appear through Minimserver for some reason. In other words, when I go on the NAIM app on my iPhone, I can see the MinimServer[SynologyDS216j] server but the album isn't there. All the files I managed to import through File Station before are there. Does anyone know why this is and how I can change this? Many thanks.

Oliver
You shouldn't use the MinimServer shared folder for audio files. It is for use by MinimServer to hold configuration files and logs.
Hi, thanks for your reply. I wasn't aware of that, are you just talking about the shared MinimServer folder on my Mac? I assume the shared MinimServer folder via File Station is okay to use?

I will try to use File Station instead for now. For some reason not all of my files were importing via File Station, that's why I was trying another way, one in which I can control what I add and delete. I've taken some advice from Synology so hopefully that will work. I'll come back here if it doesn't.
You should not use the shared MinimServer folder for audio files. It doesn't make any difference whether you are using File Station or Mac Finder to put files in this folder—in both cases, this would be incorrect.

You Synology might have a shared folder named 'music'. This is a good place to put your audio files. Alternatively, you can create a new shared folder for your audio files. To enable MinimServer to find your audio files, you need to set the content directory as described on this page.
(17-01-2018 15:05)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]You should not use the shared MinimServer folder for audio files. It doesn't make any difference whether you are using File Station or Mac Finder to put files in this folder—in both cases, this would be incorrect.

You Synology might have a shared folder named 'music'. This is a good place to put your audio files. Alternatively, you can create a new shared folder for your audio files. To enable MinimServer to find your audio files, you need to set the content directory as described on this page.
I've now moved everything into 'music' on File Station as you suggested. Nothing in the MinimServer folder. The problem now is on my Naim App I can only see my music on the 'Synology DS216j' server. The 'MinimServer(SynologyDS216j)' server is no longer there. I've updated the content directory in the MinimServer Status page but this has made no difference. So essentially I can only stream my music from my NAS using the Synology server, MinimServer isn't seeing my music.
Also keep in mind that Minimserver will not automatically show new files added, you must initiate a manual rescan, or stop and restart Minimserver for newly added files to show up. Since you have a Synology, you can use the DS Task Scheduler app (found in Control Panel>System on your Synology) to schedule a nightly stop and restart of Minimserver to capture anything you may have changed or added in case you don’t initiate a manual scan.
(17-01-2018 17:45)antonmb Wrote: [ -> ]Also keep in mind that Minimserver will not automatically show new files added, you must initiate a manual rescan, or stop and restart Minimserver for newly added files to show up. Since you have a Synology, you can use the DS Task Scheduler app (found in Control Panel>System on your Synology) to schedule a nightly stop and restart of Minimserver to capture anything you may have changed or added in case you don’t initiate a manual scan.

It seems to be working now. I thought I had manually rescanned it, perhaps it needed a bit of time to show up on the app, I'm not sure. Anyway, thanks for the tip about Task Scheduler, I'll look into it.
The first rescan after making large changes to file locations takes a while because MinimServer is rebuilding its cache. You will see a yellow icon in MinimWatch while the rescan is in progress. When the yellow icon changes to transparent (on Mac), the library will show up in UPnP control points. Future rescans after you have added a few files should be much quicker.
(17-01-2018 18:50)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]The first rescan after making large changes to file locations takes a while because MinimServer is rebuilding its cache. You will see a yellow icon in MinimWatch while the rescan is in progress. When the yellow icon changes to transparent (on Mac), the library will show up in UPnP control points. Future rescans after you have added a few files should be much quicker.

Okay, thanks.
Reference URL's