MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Minimwatch problems on ubuntu gnome
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have recently moved from the ubuntu (17.04) unity desktop to ubuntu gnome. I'm just getting used to this, since ubuntu is dropping unity next year.

When I run minimwatch on unity it works fine. On gnome it starts OK, but I can't right click on the icon to see the properties, log, or execute commands such as rescan or exit.

The icon appears on the desktop, at top left, and also on the bar at bottom left.
What is the simplest way for me to install ubuntu gnome so that I can try this for myself?
(03-08-2017 12:10)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]What is the simplest way for me to install ubuntu gnome so that I can try this for myself?
I found an older forum entry from someone with the same problem. See "Mininwatch not working on Ubuntu Gnome" from samnorthernlights. You responded that it's a java problem.

I did some googling and there seems to be quite a number of people and applications with a similar issue.

If you already have ubuntu (not sure how recent it has to be, but I believe 16.04 can support it), you can install 'gnome-shell' and then when you log on select that ui.

If you don't have ubuntu you can install via http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-gnome/r...4/release/
I thought this sounded a bit familiar. I do have Ubuntu 16.04 so I will try it there. If there is a problem, I will report it on the OpenJDK developer mailing list.
(03-08-2017 20:21)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]I thought this sounded a bit familiar. I do have Ubuntu 16.04 so I will try it there. If there is a problem, I will report it on the OpenJDK developer mailing list.
I hope a solution can be found - ubuntu unity is going away soon for new installations. I have resorted to doing a remote gui login using remmina to my normally headless server and installed minimwatch on the server. Not terrifically convenient, but at least I have access to it again from my main desktop.
I have tried this with Ubuntu 16.04 and gnome-shell. It is almost working when I use the early access build of JDK 9 (see this page). The server icons are shown as dark squares but are fully functional with right-click correctly displaying the pop-up menu. Please try this on your system and let me know what happens.

To run MinimWatch with JDK 9, you need to install the 0.8.4.7 version from this page.
(15-08-2017 10:06)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]I have tried this with Ubuntu 16.04 and gnome-shell. It is almost working when I use the early access build of JDK 9 (see this page). The server icons are shown as dark squares but are fully functional with right-click correctly displaying the pop-up menu. Please try this on your system and let me know what happens.

To run MinimWatch with JDK 9, you need to install the 0.8.4.7 version from this page.
Yup, that works. Thanks very much.

It's not easy to see the black icons on my black toolbar, but I know the icons (I have 2 servers up) are there. I also get a minimwatch icon at top left when it is running, and the messages about minimserver scanning/running etc are showed there.

I'm using the version 9 jdk from http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu
In your original post, you said the icon appears on the bar at bottom left. Did you mean that it appears as a black square or as the correct colour?

The only icon I see at top left is the desktop icon for launching MinimWatch. This "two minims and stave" icon is not the same as the "single minim" icon that is used to control MinimWatch. Which of these icons are you seeing at top left?

Is there a development build of the latest version of Ubuntu without Unity? For me to report this to the Java developers, I would probably need to be able to reproduce the problem on this version.
(15-08-2017 20:29)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]In your original post, you said the icon appears on the bar at bottom left. Did you mean that it appears as a black square or as the correct colour?

The only icon I see at top left is the desktop icon for launching MinimWatch. This "two minims and stave" icon is not the same as the "single minim" icon that is used to control MinimWatch. Which of these icons are you seeing at top left?
Gnome, being much extended, has many options. I installed 'Topicons plus' which moves the 'legacy tray' icons from bottom left to the top right panel bar. These are the two (for my 2 minimservers) icons that are black and are responsive to right clicks.

At top left I see a normal minimwatch green icon with a minim in it. That icon is not responsive to right clicks, but information message appear there.

Quote:Is there a development build of the latest version of Ubuntu without Unity? For me to report this to the Java developers, I would probably need to be able to reproduce the problem on this version.
There is a 17.04 version with gnome, and a 17.10 (development) with gnome. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ZestyZapus/Relea...buntuGNOME and https://ubuntugnome.org/ubuntu-gnome-17-04-released/ for more information on the complete 17.04 version for download. I just installed the gnome-shell on top of my unity system rather than starting from scratch.
MinimServer update 105 includes a fix for this problem. It is caused by an incompatibility between Java and GNOME and I have added a temporary workaround in MinimServer to make these work together. At some point I hope there will be a fix in Java but for now this should restore normal functionality for MinimServer.

As tooltips (mouse over) don't work in GNOME (this one is insoluble), I have added code to MinimServer to make a single left click on the minim icon display the tooltip message.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's