MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Minimwatch stopped working with windoze update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am not a regular windoze user so am not sure what happened but all had been well with minimwatch on windoze 7 machine used for this purpose and accounting software alone for years.

Recently and following an update I can no longer get minimwatch to connect with minimserver on NAS. Minimserver is running fine and visible from control point.

I recall there might have been a permissions screen concerning java which flashed up on windoze machine but have not seen it since. Where do I look to get things working again?

Budgie
This usually means Java has updated itself and your firewall rules are blocking the new version of Java. You need to add a firewall rule that permits incoming connections to the updated Java TM Platform SE Binary.
(23-04-2017 21:29)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]This usually means Java has updated itself and your firewall rules are blocking the new version of Java. You need to add a firewall rule that permits incoming connections to the updated Java TM Platform SE Binary.
Any idea where I can find an idiot's guide on how to do this.
I went to the firewall inbound rules and there are 6 set for the Java Platform SE binary all for the previous java update version jre1.8.0_101 wheras I am on jre1.8.0_131-b11. Not sure if this is significant. I assume not.

Sorry but I have no idea of syntax for adding a rule. Is there an example anywhere I can view?
Life is too short to waste on this windoze nonsense. This really should not happen after an update.
From the Control Panel, open Windows Firewall, then click Advanced Settings and Inbound Rules. Scroll down to the rules for Java TM Platform SE binary. For each of these rules, do the following:

1) Right-click the rule and select Properties
2) In the Properties dialog, select Programs and Services
3) If the 'This program' field points to the old Java executable for jre1.8.0_111, update it to point to the new Java executable for jre1.8.0_131. The exact path will depend on where you have installed Java on your machine.

The next time you install a Java update and then launch MinimWatch, you should get a permissions dialog that enables you to add new firewall rules for the new version of Java. This will not delete the old rules but it is easier than the manual update process described above.

It would be much better if Java could automatically update its firewall rules when it updates itself.
(24-04-2017 08:13)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]From the Control Panel, open Windows Firewall, then click Advanced Settings and Inbound Rules. Scroll down to the rules for Java TM Platform SE binary. For each of these rules, do the following:

1) Right-click the rule and select Properties
2) In the Properties dialog, select Programs and Services
3) If the 'This program' field points to the old Java executable for jre1.8.0_111, update it to point to the new Java executable for jre1.8.0_131. The exact path will depend on where you have installed Java on your machine.

The next time you install a Java update and then launch MinimWatch, you should get a permissions dialog that enables you to add new firewall rules for the new version of Java. This will not delete the old rules but it is easier than the manual update process described above.

It would be much better if Java could automatically update its firewall rules when it updates itself.

Hi Simon,
Many thanks. Following your instruction I did a complete clear out of all Java and jre stuff and started over not only on firewall but whole system. I found it was full of superseded junk, partly resulting from 32 & 64 bit versions of java and also due to Firefox policies.
The reinstalled Java and all is now well. Many thanks once more. I promise to try again to get Minimwatch to work on openSUSE.
Regards.
Budgie
Reference URL's